Aussie Living On The Train Platform In Khorat

BigJohnnyBKK

Just returned from one of my upcountry jaunts, and came across this honky ocker who's apparently in a long-term relationship wiht the main local organizer of those people that walk up and down the trains selling food and drink, which I wouldn't mind if they didn't actually keep waking up passengers and their kids who would prefer to sleep.

He may actually live there on the platform with them, as at 4am he was up and about chatting people up, and I could see enough bedding for the whole extended gang of them spread out behind their food processing and storage facilities.

Anyone else come across this character?

How old did the guy look?

Probably 40's, shaved head, didn't notice tattoos but seemed the type. And now that I think about it, I just assumed Aussie from the accent but I've been known to be wrong about that, could be another colony or jolly ol' itself. . .

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Posters on Thai Visa.

The most nosey bunch of ******** I've ever come across. huh.png

Perhaps it's living with a family of people they cannot converse with that brings it out.

Edited by cbrer

Sure I'm curious, a homeless drunk settled in with what's basically a tribe of beggars living on a train platform, personally I find that of great interest, maybe even the basis for a decent novel.

And I can converse with everyone in my household just fine thanks; the only "family" here is me and my kids, whose English is better than their Thai, Lao, Khmer and whatever other dialects they've picked up along the way.

Actually I figured odds were pretty good he'd be a regular here so could fill us in directly 8-)

I also think it's likely he's not that concerned about his privacy when he's shouting out his life story to random farang honkies he spots through the train windows.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Well, I lived on New Delhi station roof for a while in '67, so I can kind of empathise.

It's all to do with what's happening in your life at the time. Do we actually need to be judgmental? Can we not leave the guy to get on with what he wants to do? Ok, it may not be your choice, but so what? At the end of the day, how this guy chooses to live his life is up to him. Who are we to say whether it's right or wrong?

• Like 2

Big Johnny, could you go back and take a photo of him? Then someone might recognize him.

Although I don't actually feel bad about violating the guy's privacy with my OP, those objecting do have a point and I think that would be overstepping the mark AFAIC. Plus not sure when I'll be passing through Khorat anytime soon, but I assume there are TV members living there that might be interested to stop by and have a chat with the guy.

"Excuse me, but I'm an online journalist for TV.com and we'd like to feature you as our "character of the month", mind telling us your life story? Here's a few bottles of Chang to show our appreciation. . ."

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

He's begging then?

The story is improving now...

Indeed the story is improving.

In the OP the guy in question " May have lived there ", one post later he already was a homeless drunk.

Let's wait a few more posts.

Maybe he ends up in a house in Bangkok where he is taught how to prostitute himself.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Big Johnny, could you go back and take a photo of him? Then someone might recognize him.

Or maybe we can organize a fundraiser for him. I bet he hasn't changed his underwear in ages. The cold weather is coming and he'll need socks for his sandals. Perhaps some TVFers can get together and knit him a sweater so he doesn't catch a chill sleeping on the platform. Maybe a member can donate one of his singlets, hopefully one without a stain or a hole.

BTW, do you think he gets frisky with his partner when the lights are dim and the fog rolls in? A big bottle of Leo and a plate of bbq rat and he has all the fixings for a romantic dinner.

In the OP the guy in question " May have lived there ", one post later he already was a homeless drunk.

He's begging then?

The story is improving now...

Let's wait a few more posts.

Maybe he ends up in a house in Bangkok where he is taught how to prostitute himself.

Absolutely right, should have prefaced that speculation with "if he is actually a. . ."

And why on earth would anyone bother to make something like this up? Just thought someone here might know the guy as it seems likely he's a fixture there.

Finally, your definition of prostitution must be so broad as to include many of our mothers, mine's a bit more precise.

Really no need to be so unpleasant. . .

I always find these threads strange - where posters are appalled by a white beggar or someone down on their luck.

This could happen to ANYONE posting here. Mental illness/alcoholism etc does not distinguish between rich or poor, intelligent or not, hi-so or lo-so, brown-skinned or white, Asian or European etc.

Have you never seen an Asian beggar in your own country? What's the difference? Are people of European descent not allowed to live rough?

Why do you care so much? I think maybe you worry too much what Thai people will think of you.

Maybe those with a low self-esteem get some kind of boost when spotting someone they regard as worse off than them. Where's the compassion?

I treat mentally sick people with the same respect I would a sick friend or relative.

• Like 1

I always find these threads strange - where posters are appalled by a white beggar or someone down on their luck.

This could happen to ANYONE posting here. Mental illness/alcoholism etc does not distinguish between rich or poor, intelligent or not, hi-so or lo-so, brown-skinned or white, Asian or European etc.

Have you never seen an Asian beggar in your own country? What's the difference? Are people of European descent not allowed to live rough?

Why do you care so much? I think maybe you worry too much what Thai people will think of you.

Maybe those with a low self-esteem get some kind of boost when spotting someone they regard as worse off than them. Where's the compassion?

I treat mentally sick people with the same respect I would a sick friend or relative.

I never saw an Issan beggar in Bristol though I saw a lot of lazy able- bodied 'crusties' aggressively demanding loose change from passers-by.

I don't think the OP is being nosy or caring too much, he is merely adopting the Thai trait of enjoying looking at something unusual, whether it be a car crash with victims sprawled across the road or a farang 'behaving unusually'.

I think George should start booking coaches or train carriages, as in this case, so TV members can enjoy excursions- 'Curiosity Tours', to see their fellow farangs in exotic and eccentric circumstances. Perhaps Carling, Singh or Leo could sponsor the tour, (but please not Chang).

• Like 1

I too find these threads strange, but for a different reason.

Invariably the original poster observes the down and out foreigner first-hand, and has the opportunity, if they are so interested, to converse with them directly in order to better understand their plight. But for whatever reasons they chose to come here and ask if anyone else did what they had a chance to do. I just don't get it?

I too find these threads strange, but for a different reason.

Invariably the original poster observes the down and out foreigner first-hand, and has the opportunity, if they are so interested, to converse with them directly in order to better understand their plight. But for whatever reasons they chose to come here and ask if anyone else did what they had a chance to do. I just don't get it?

I was speaking with him directly, but the train only stopped in the station for a few minutes, and he was so out and out hail fellow well met, I have to admit I was a bit taken aback by his almost aggressive need for shouted conversation across the tracks. Plus I'm a bit uncomfortable chatting with people when they're truly drunk due to my personal past involvement with alcoholism.

I realize now I'm not likely to have my curiosity satisfied by a train-travelling Khorat resident here, and would be perfectly happy to just let the thread die a natural death.

Thanks to all who've participated. . .