Personal Recommendation On Where To Stay On Koh Samet (Beach Location)

banglay

Hi Fancy a few days R&R on Koh Samet I would Appreciate personal recommendations where to stay must be on the beach and be near good restaurant (prefer small and intimate ,Price the not a problem).

Cheers

Ao Nuan, is always my choice. Very secluded with all bungalows close to the water. Not many bungalows and they don't have a phone to take reservations. You just have to be lucky. Basic bungalows. 300 to 900 baht. You can walk along the beach a short ways around the rocks to many nice restaurants.

I’d recommend Samed Villa Resort. They have quite a decent resort restaurant, and if you’re not please with it, or want some change, head up to the beach restaurants on Sai Keaw for all the choices they have to offer. Can’t go wrong thumbsup.gif

This is a good one, true. But all depends on what you want. Hat Sai Kaew is the first beach you come to coming in from the wharf; it's the longest, you can walk into town from there, and it has many, many bungalows and rooms for rent. Busy, always a bit of a party atmosphere. From there going out there are many coves, each with its set of bungalows, and the further out on the eastern side the more secluded, the smaller the coves, and generally the cheaper they are. If you take the road up to the southern tip there's the most beautiful cove of all, Ao Prao, and there are a number of resorts there, but those are generally the most expensive on the island.

For a place in the mid range of prices, and neither secluded nor crowded, I like Wongdeuan beach. Google around and see what suits you. I think Koh Samet is somewhat underrated as a good island getaway.

• Like 1

As mentioned Sai Kaew is the busiest but if you stay around the Sai Kaew beach resort area it tends to be a little quieter as apposed to the Ploy bar end and also gives you access to 7/11 and many different restaurants in the village and on Sai Kaew beach.

As you you go down the island things tend to get quieter with the exception of Silversands bar. If you prefer the quiet life resorts, Ao Phrao is very nice. Ao Thian is a very nice and quiet beach with enough to keep you satisfied and also very reasonable. If you want total luxury check out Paradee resort, but remember to bring a fat wallet!!

I’d recommend Samed Villa Resort. They have quite a decent resort restaurant, and if you’re not please with it, or want some change, head up to the beach restaurants on Sai Keaw for all the choices they have to offer. Can’t go wrong thumbsup.gif

How are you, my dear friend? YES, Samed Villa is certainly a good place to be and I can confirm that their rooms, food and services are excellent. The owner, a swiss, is very detailed and has looked after the resort quite well. Their rooms have double glass windows etc. The Silver Sand Disco has become quite famous within Thai's male population.

How are you, my dear friend? YES, Samed Villa is certainly a good place to be and I can confirm that their rooms, food and services are excellent. The owner, a swiss, is very detailed and has looked after the resort quite well. Their rooms have double glass windows etc. The Silver Sand Disco has become quite famous within Thai's male population.

Long time no see, I’m doing great thanks Buddy! Life is nice down here in the little fishing village. Hope you’re doing well up in the bustling capital.

Guess I should have mentioned in my previous post that Samed Villa Resort is on Ao Phai and not on Sai Keaw, for those that don’t know.

Hadn’t paid attention to the double pane windows, but guess that’s the reason why it’s still quiet in the bungalows, even though the Silver Sand Disco is close by.

I stayed there during the Tsunami back in 2004. Southeast Part where "Malibu Resort" is. Had about 7 small hotels that each night put out their own seafood cookout on the beach. Walk down the beach and pick one. Had fish, crabs etc. Nice little bungalows. Quiet beach. Really no nightlife like the northeast part of the island has. Almost full moon. Nice half day snorkeling boat trip that stopped at three places around the island. Really was nice with my two buddies and our girlfriends.

I stayed there during the Tsunami back in 2004. Southeast Part where "Malibu Resort" is. Had about 7 small hotels that each night put out their own seafood cookout on the beach. Walk down the beach and pick one. Had fish, crabs etc. Nice little bungalows. Quiet beach. Really no nightlife like the northeast part of the island has. Almost full moon. Nice half day snorkeling boat trip that stopped at three places around the island. Really was nice with my two buddies and our girlfriends.

I think you are thinking of Koh Samui, not Koh Samet. whistling.gif Edited by BB1950

I think you are thinking of Koh Samui, not Koh Samet. whistling.gif

No, it's Koh Samet - it's changed a lot since 2004

I think you are thinking of Koh Samui, not Koh Samet. whistling.gif

No, it's Koh Samet - it's changed a lot since 2004

Yes it was Koh Samet. I will have to dig to find exactly which little beach area we were at. We did have reservations for Phuket at that time but by pure luck my friends kept changing the dates so we ended up at Koh Samet during the Tsunami. Lucky us.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, regarding accomodation on Koh Samet, what are the chances of getting walk in accomodation on new years weekend? I know it's last minute but most of the bungalow listings advertise NO ADVANCED BOOKINGS, so was hoping there's a slight chance of getting something on arrival. I know I should arrive early to increase my chances but I live in Ayutthaya so won't get there until midday, even if I set out at 6am. Also, would my chances increase if I went on Thursday or Friday, or are the bungalows likely to be booked up throughout the Xmas/ new years period already? I would be very grateful for any info regarding this as don't really fancy being homeless at new years. Many thanks.

Hi all, regarding accomodation on Koh Samet, what are the chances of getting walk in accomodation on new years weekend? I know it's last minute but most of the bungalow listings advertise NO ADVANCED BOOKINGS, so was hoping there's a slight chance of getting something on arrival. I know I should arrive early to increase my chances but I live in Ayutthaya so won't get there until midday, even if I set out at 6am. Also, would my chances increase if I went on Thursday or Friday, or are the bungalows likely to be booked up throughout the Xmas/ new years period already? I would be very grateful for any info regarding this as don't really fancy being homeless at new years. Many thanks.

Don't fancy your chances to be honest, I stayed on Samet the last 2 New Year's and the resort we were at was booked up by about August!!

Personally I wouldn't recommend spending New Year there, unless you have made plans to meet someone, or some other reason why you specifically want to be there at that time. The prices have increased a fair bit over the last couple of years, and virtually every resort has the compulsory gala dinner on New Year's Eve which I find a complete rip off!

it's likely you will find a room at a usually low cost bungalow, but NY Eve timeline will more than likely triple the room rate or more. Was their a few years back at Xmas & a room for 1.5k they were asking 6k baht. yes go a few nights before as many Bangkok Thais will be looking for a room

Edited by simple1

Hi thanks for the advice. I phoned a few bungalows who say they at still charging B500 for a fan room over NYs, so think I am going to take my chances and see whats available on arrival. Woody1 - besides the resort ripoff problem, is there another reason you say to avoid it? Or is there another beach close to Bangkok you'd recommend heading to? I really don't care where I am for NYs, I just need some beach time and at least a small bar to do a countdown and have a beer! :)

Hi thanks for the advice. I phoned a few bungalows who say they at still charging B500 for a fan room over NYs, so think I am going to take my chances and see whats available on arrival. Woody1 - besides the resort ripoff problem, is there another reason you say to avoid it? Or is there another beach close to Bangkok you'd recommend heading to? I really don't care where I am for NYs, I just need some beach time and at least a small bar to do a countdown and have a beer! smile.png

Hi Mellymoo, if you read my post again you'll see that I didn't say to avoid it. I said, "Personally I wouldn't recommend spending New Year there, unless you have made plans to meet someone, or some other reason why you specifically want to be there at that time."

In your response you mention that you really don't care where you are for New Year, which to me means you don't specifically want to be there at that time, as I mentioned, but just need some beach time and at least a small bar, and ask whether I'd recommed anywhere close to Bangkok.

If it were me personally, planning to travel from Ayutthaya I would look at Hua Hin, there's a beach, small bars (and larger ones), better selection of accomodation and restaurants, and generally a greater variety of other things to do (apart from just sitting on a beach). I believe the commute would also be shorter, and I wouldn't have to put up with the, "Island mentality", where once you're on the island it's a case of take it or leave it at any cost, because there's nowhere else to get it, or to go to, and the New Year is probably the worst time to experience this, "mentality" in my opinion.

Hi thanks for the advice. I phoned a few bungalows who say they at still charging B500 for a fan room over NYs, so think I am going to take my chances and see whats available on arrival. Woody1 - besides the resort ripoff problem, is there another reason you say to avoid it? Or is there another beach close to Bangkok you'd recommend heading to? I really don't care where I am for NYs, I just need some beach time and at least a small bar to do a countdown and have a beer! smile.png

Plenty of reasonable resorts on the mainland opposite Koh Samet with their own private beaches. Perhaps have a look at those.

Koh Samet is a pretty small island and if you go during peak times, like Song Kran or NY, you will be shoulder to shoulder with other holiday-makers. OK if you are going to party, but not so good if you are going to relax.

Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm here on Koh Samet, cheapie bungalow booked and beer in hand, so happy days. So far pretty quiet, but I'm sure that will change tomorrow. Happy news years to all!

Out of interest where are you staying and how much per night?

Hi Simple1, I'm staying at the Naga bungalows for B600 per night. Share bathroom and fan room. I know it's too much for what you get, but can't complain when it's last minute at new years. I phoned just about every bungalow I could find on the web on thursday and these guys were the only ones with bungalows still available (and who spoke english) so took my chances and came straight here. Seems like a nice spot so far.