Thai Soldiers Kill 3 Cambodian Illegal Loggers

webfact

Thai soldiers kill 3 Cambodian illegal loggers

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 4 (Xinhua) -- Thai soldiers have shot dead three Cambodian men for illegally cutting rosewood on the frontier of Thai territory, Cambodian official confirmed on Sunday.

"I got this information this morning that three Cambodian men were killed by Thai soldiers," Prach Chan, governor of Cambodia' s Battambang province, told Xinhua by telephone. "Thai side claimed that those men illegally entered Thai territory for logging."

He added that their corpses were repatriated to Cambodia on Sunday morning.

The incident happened on Saturday on the border between Battambang province's Samlot district and Thailand.

Cambodian people have frequently been killed by Thai soldiers when they illegally crossed border to log in Thai territory.

According to a report of Cambodia-Thailand Border Relation Office released in August, during the first six months of this year, Thai soldiers killed at least 38 Cambodian illegal loggers.

It added that the Thai authorities also deported 68,659 Cambodians illegally crossing the border during the same period.

Cambodia shares over 800 kilometers of border with Thailand to the north and west.

Source: http://news.xinhuane...c_131949995.htm

-- XINHUA 2012-11-05

footer_n.gif

Logging is a tragedy in itself but executing loggers is OTT. Given Thai's do not want them in jail on their side, and repatriating them to Cambodia will unlikely result in any incarceration or punishment, it is a difficult to find a punishment to fit the crime, but hardly worth the taking of lives. Perhaps education would not go astray but of course, Cambodia is not renown for that.

Unless these Cambodians were an imminent theat to the lives of Thai soldiers or civilians, this appears to be clear case of extrajudicial killing and as such needs to be thoroughly investigated by the Thai authorities. Of course, the USA's model of blowing people to bits with drone rockets in Pakistan, Somalia and the Yemen on the pure suspicion that they are terrorists sets everybody sliding down this slippery slope.

• Like 2

Unless these Cambodians were an imminent theat to the lives of Thai soldiers or civilians, this appears to be clear case of extrajudicial killing and as such needs to be thoroughly investigated by the Thai authorities. Of course, the USA's model of blowing people to bits with drone rockets in Pakistan, Somalia and the Yemen on the pure suspicion that they are terrorists sets everybody sliding down this slippery slope.

Comparing terrorist to someone cutting down a tree not cool, unless of course you have evidence that US Drones are in fact killing innocent people just minding their business. Nit sure the need to interject that bs anyway unless implying okay to shoot people for cutting down a tree or just feel the need to take a cheap shot at US.

• Like 1

UNLESS. Why is it that some people read "killed" and immediately mentally connect that with "murdered", "executed" or "exterminated." Is it because they think that wearing a green uniform, often not by choice, turns a person into a psychotic killer waiting an opportunity?

I'll give you one reason (from experience) why I believe otherwise. Arrested people walk from the remote location back to base, dead people have to be carried. And then the investigation starts.

Talking to a police officer some time ago I mentioned that the following day I was off to visit relatives in Lahan Sai, Buriram province. When I said that I would be leaving Jomtien at around 0300 so that the roads would be empty and I could give the truck a bit a wellie without fear of coughing up a few hundred baht, and would be travelling along road 348 which runs parallel to the Cambodia border while it was still dark, he told me that I was putting myself in extreme danger. He said that Cambodians regularly crossed the border and stole anything that they could get their hands on and he only travelled on that road in daylight and even then he kept his gun handy. Paranoid or what?

I would be more impressed if BIB started shooting at the phu yais behind the deforestation of parts of Northern Thailand. Remember the lake that was drained and huge quantities of teak were found?

• Like 1

The people engaged in illegal cutting have a long history of violent attacks upon Thai forest protection officers. This isn't Louie the lumberjack out to collect some firewood to heat his home. These are heavily armed nasty thugs. The illegal logging is part of a large criminal network that is stealing Thai natural resources, shooting at Thais in the process and that is linked to the trafficing of endangered species as well. The Thais have asked nicely, have attempted to explain why forests must be protected and have previously threatened to defend Thailand, all to no avail. The fact of the matter is that these loggers have illegally entered Thailand and are armed. How do all the hand wringers expect the Thais to respond when the loggers start shooting at them? How is this any different than when an armed robber enters a store and then fires upon the police that respond to the robbery in progress?

Perhaps Thailand's de facto leader could have a word with his 'brother' Hun Sen in Cambodia and get him to sort out the problem before it becomes another international issue between the two ASEAN partners.

We don't want another Prear Vihear....... do we?

The people engaged in illegal cutting have a long history of violent attacks upon Thai forest protection officers. This isn't Louie the lumberjack out to collect some firewood to heat his home. These are heavily armed nasty thugs. The illegal logging is part of a large criminal network that is stealing Thai natural resources, shooting at Thais in the process and that is linked to the trafficing of endangered species as well. The Thais have asked nicely, have attempted to explain why forests must be protected and have previously threatened to defend Thailand, all to no avail. The fact of the matter is that these loggers have illegally entered Thailand and are armed. How do all the hand wringers expect the Thais to respond when the loggers start shooting at them? How is this any different than when an armed robber enters a store and then fires upon the police that respond to the robbery in progress?

Perhaps Thailand's de facto leader could have a word with his 'brother' Hun Sen in Cambodia and get him to sort out the problem before it becomes another international issue between the two ASEAN partners.

Will never happen. The fascists in the Thai military are no longer in control of the country.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Will never happen. Thaksin and Hun Sen are buddies and it doesn't suit their relationship for Hun Sen to aggravate the situation like he did in the past.

• Like 1

You cut my tree, you die. Really? OTT to say the least. I guess this is what happens when ya give children guns or those with the mentality of children guns. So sad. I wonder how Thailand would react if the shoe was on the other foot. This is by product of teaching myopic nationalism and indoctrinating the masses that you are superior and better than everyone else. There’s nothing wrong with pride and being proud of one’s country, but when that develops into prejudice as is the case in Thailand it should be condemned, not condoned. The attitude that they're only Cambodians or Burmese and the general perception that they are no more than some sub-human commodity needs to addressed at every level of Thai society. People ought to truly be ashamed that this goes on, but they aren't - and that I find saddest of all.

GO HOME!

Spot on. If you ignore the signs and come into my garden uninvited and armed, don't expect a cup of tea.

Wow, stealing wood is a worse crime that drug dleaing

Wood thiefs get shot on the spot

Drug dealers get a trial before execution

What a waste of life, what on earth possesses a person

to shot someone for cutting down a tree. A true banana

republic

Wow, stealing wood is a worse crime that drug dleaing

Wood thiefs get shot on the spot

Drug dealers get a trial before execution

What a waste of life, what on earth possesses a person

to shot someone for cutting down a tree. A true banana

republic

Only stealing wood doesn't get you shot. The fact that they probably shot back at the police/army got them shot.

Hun Sen has as much control over the poachers as the Thais have over the criminal gangs that export dogs to Vietnam or participate in human trfafficing. Does the Myanmar dictatorship have any control over crime lords that export yaba to Thailand? Does Thailand have control over its southern insurgency? It is difficult to seal a border unless one goes the North Korean and Chinese route. Look at what's happening on the US- Canadian border. Illegal refugees are continually crossing from the USA into Canada now, despite the USA puting drones in the sky and electronic detection everywhere. (Yes, that's right, more illegals and more guns and hard drugs crossover from the USA than vica versa.) The UK can't stop the flow of illegal immigrants and contraband coming from the EU either.

Buddhist country, yeah right.

The Thai Army are notorious in this area for their behaviour. Not so long ago it was discovered they had burnt alleged loggers alive.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Where did this occur? Had not heard this one.

Of course not, you are not invited to his private wet dreams.

Logging is a tragedy in itself but executing loggers is OTT. Given Thai's do not want them in jail on their side, and repatriating them to Cambodia will unlikely result in any incarceration or punishment, it is a difficult to find a punishment to fit the crime, but hardly worth the taking of lives. Perhaps education would not go astray but of course, Cambodia is not renown for that.

Given that they've killed 38 of nearly 70,000, I doubt that they are actually being executed. More likely they are shooting back at the army and getting killed in the fire fight.

It's hard to argue with your logic given those numbers.

Given that they've killed 38 of nearly 70,000, I doubt that they are actually being executed. More likely they are shooting back at the army and getting killed in the fire fight.

The Cambodian Government does nothing to stop the theft and yes, the loggers are well armed.

This is allowed by Cambodia to keep the border dispute in the news and to make Thailand appear the 'bad guy'.

Truth be known responsibility falls on France meddling in local matters a century ago. In 1900, Siem Riap Province was in Siam, then The French started a war, taking control of Siam's Southeastern Provinces. In follow on negotiations, France guaranteed the return of the captured provinces and worked out the details of the treaty separating the French Protectorate of Siam from Siam. Then in 1953, France gave that protectorate to Cambodia.

No need to wonder why Thailand is upset over intrusions, logging, Preah Vihar, etc, as Angkor was a Siamese treasure for 5 centuries, until taken by the French.

If some people actually researched this as opposed to jumping to the conclusion that the Thai Army are a bunch of homicidal maniacs a bit of perspective may appear.

As has been pointed this is not just a couple of villagers hopping over to lop a tree down for a bit of firewood or to build a house. This is systematic crime perpetuated by armed gangs, what are the soldiers supposed to do? Any soldier (in any army) will have been trained so that when confronted with armed opposition they shoot first, otherwise it will be you in the body bag.

• Like 1