Student Visa - Wont Get Paperwork Back Until After Visa Expires

I messed up and didn't get the correct info to my school in time and now they said it will probably be 5 days after my current visa expires before i get the paperwork back. Im here 1 year and im at the 6 month point on my tourist visa.

They explained i would have to pay a fine of 500b a day, which is fine as it was my own fault but i wanted to double check will this be a big hassle with immigration. Ive seen mixed feedback on overstaying so im wondering might they refuse the visa and kick me out of the country because i overstayed. I know most of the reports suggest as long as you pay the overstay fee its fine but i couldnt really find any posts for people who were extending their visas?

If its a case that it might risk me getting deported i would rather just go get a tourist visa, probably sounds paranoid but just wanted to hear from people with similar experiences?

Exactly what paperwork are you talking about? Do they say they can convert you from tourist visa entry to education non immigrant visa? Is this full time study at name university? Could they provide paperwork to obtain and education visa from a Consulate faster? Any overstay involves a small risk and we seem to be talking at least 2,500 baht fine in this case (which is more that a border crossing visa exempt trip from most locations). Believe I would be tempted to obtain a new visa now (even if early) to be sure of no overstay and no further delays causing more issues. But if they are only going to provide paperwork for an ED visa you have to go to a Consulate for do a border run for a new 15 day stay as that will likely not cost more than 2,000 baht from most places.

well im on a tourist visa now for the last 6 months its expired soon and i had planned on doing the standard extension for another 90 days like i did after the previous 90 days at the local immigration, last time when i was extending it my school they gave me about 20 pages of paperwork, signed by them, containing pics of my passport and all that kind of stuff. Im just on a standard 1 year student visa with a thai language school not university.

They say they have to send my details to the government and by the time it will be back ill be over my expiry date.

Education extensions of stay require a non immigrant visa entry so it appears you had an ED visa rather than a tourist visa and have been extending it. In that case you can not use a tourist visa or visa exempt entry but must maintain that ED non immigrant visa entry/extension so best bet is stay/pay overstay and if not permitted leave to obtain a new non immigrant ED visa with the school paperwork. Suspect they know local immigration will provide with payment of the overstay fine.