Where In Chiang Mai Can I Donate Some Adult Size Clothes?

muchogra

I have a few dozens dress pants, shirts and T-shirts that don't fit or don't like. Waist size about 30-32 and I'm 33-34. Shirt collar mostly 14.5. Many are rarely used or never used and some are good brands and tailor-made. I want to donate these clothes plus a walker to, perhaps, an old people home preferably within NE to SE of town near 121. Thanks. Please no joke!

there is a guy(american)in walking street on sunday,holds up one of those big boards,he will take any clothes of you,he takes them to the hill tribe people,somewere a long way away by the burma border.he is down the second cross roads on the left going from taphe gate opposisite a medium sized wat.

there is a guy(american)in walking street on sunday,holds up one of those big boards,he will take any clothes of you,he takes them to the hill tribe people,somewere a long way away by the burma border.he is down the second cross roads on the left going from taphe gate opposisite a medium sized wat.

Saw an ad pinned in the UN Irish bar which sounds like the same guy. Further details can be obtained there.

There was talk once there (at the UN Irish Pub) of making it a drop off point for donations of (warm) clothing for hill tribe people. Does anyone think it's worth reviving the idea and seeing if they have storage space available? There must be more people like the OP who have surplus clothes to donate.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I just thought that an attempt at coordination might be in order as the elusive 'American guy' is obviously trying to do with his board.

• Like 1

There will be a sizeable section of 2nd hand clothing and other goods at the JJ Market Charity Christmas Shopping Fair on November 24, from 10 am to 4 pm. Several organizations are accepting donations of used clothing to sell at stalls at the event. You can drop off items at Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew, across from the Shell Station. They are open evenings, after 5 pm, closed on Mondays. Or you could bring them along to the event to donate there -- the earlier the better.

This fair is organized by the same folks who used to have the Garden Party on the grounds of City Life magazine each year. Sadly, those grounds are no longer available and there is more room at the JJ Market venue, too. The second hand clothing sale was always VERY popular at City Life, with large crowds of mostly Thai people at opening time. Many said they were buying clothing for others in their villages. Any donated clothing items will be much appreciated.

One of my best days here is an annual trip to take the same to the remote hilltribe vilages on the other side of Doi Inthanon. we wnent in 3 trucks full of 2nd hand clothes, and sweets, paracetomols, medecines, ladies stuff, blankets, mattresses and lots of food.

These tribes are so remote, they rarely see a farang. in anticipation the whole village comes out to greet us in their finest clothes. What a fullfilling experience to see the happiness on these faces.

and to think someone up there right now will probably be wearing my old Leeds United footy shirt.

will be doing the trip again dec/jan if anyone wants to muck in

The Raintree Resource Center,supported by the Chiang Mai Community Church, collects old clothing for redistribution. They are located just 2 doors east of the police box on Charoen Muang Road, directly across the Ping River on the Narowat Bridge (Eastern side) . Info line is (053) 262-660. The church is nondenominational.

They also provide an excellent and FREE lending library to the public (that also accepts used books in good condition).

See http://cmcchurch.org/wordpress/?page_id=535

Edited by TheVicar

Thank you all for contributing the valuable information. For this bunch of clothing I will try the old people home as suggested by elektrified since the walker plus some unopen adult diapers this place might find them useful.

For the JJ Market, if I find anything salable in the mean time, I would donate them. Thanks, Nancy, for letting us know the event.

eyecatcher, I would be interested in joining. Please let me know the details when the time comes.

Thank you all.