Your Views On The Effect Of A New Look Myanmar

Bagwan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20185562

It seems that foreigners will be able to wholly own companies in future. Will Thailand follow suit or will the arrogance that this is Buddha's own country prevail? Will the arrival of the multinationals in Myanmar mean job opportunities for farangs? Will this be another nail in the coffin? Eventually that is.

What is sure about Myanmar is: you will be equally or more frustrated as in Thailand, once you go there for your business.

The only thing which basically has changed in the last year is the Western hype. From "the most evil place in the universe" to "a great new democracy with lots of opportunities".

It's all wet dreams. There may be a slow democratization going on, but it will take many years. It is still one of the poorest and corrupt places in Asia and will be so for decades.

• Like 2

What is sure about Myanmar is: you will be equally or more frustrated as in Thailand, once you go there for your business.

The only thing which basically has changed in the last year is the Western hype. From "the most evil place in the universe" to "a great new democracy with lots of opportunities".

It's all wet dreams. There may be a slow democratization going on, but it will take many years. It is still one of the poorest and corrupt places in Asia and will be so for decades.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Already hotel and hostel prices have gone up by 200/300%.

Big Chinese hotel groups have the bulldozers ready to clear out the older parts of towns and the locals are not happy .

When they get a tourist business up and running i think it will be expensive you must remember that Thailand's tourist business started long time ago with backpackers etc so there was the cheap hut on the beach and many cheap places to stay that wont be the case in Myanmar it will be instant tourism at a price.

Of course big multinational company's will be interested to to get in for cheap labour to build the new Toyota etc and Thai company's just cant wait dont forget where all the construction workers come from who build your house in Thailand.

So be prepared for Smoke and mirrors.

IMHO

So it seem that the projections for Mynamar mirror the reality of Thailand i.e. it's alright for some. Thanks for your input, guys. I'll re-adjust my thinking. My hopes for a better life for the natives were only a pipedream then.