Motorbike Security Disc-Lock Alarms - Sold In Chiang Mai?

YumCha

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows if security disc-lock alarms for motorcycles are sold in Chiang Mai? I am looking to buy a couple for some Thai friends of mine.

I have read somewhere that the "Xena" brand version is sold in Chiang Mai but my research indicates it is a very expensive version.

Is anyone aware of anywhere that sells cheap versions similar to the Xena type disc-lock alarm?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by YumCha

Xena disk locks ARE expensive, but they are really good alarm locks. The alarm is actually loud enough to attract attention, you can control the sensitivity by placing it in different positions on the break rotor (2pm vs 5pm) and give plenty of time to unlock before going off. Well worth the money!

Xena is not a reliable product. Both mine (12 mths old brought over from Oz) and a friend's newer one bought in CM exhibited same symptoms of going off for no reason. An internet trawl suggested that the sensors in the lock don't like high humidity. I wrote to Xena asking if they were aware of sensor problem, and if it had been rectified or would be rectified - I would have bought another one I liked them so much. No answer 6 mths later. Still, it is a good padlock (with the battery removed to stop false alarms in the middle of the night), albeit very expensive!

I also bought the cheap Santoshi alarm/padlock here in CM. The alarm lasted about 3 weeks. Apparently they don't like any moisture either.

Xena is not a reliable product. Both mine (12 mths old brought over from Oz) and a friend's newer one bought in CM exhibited same symptoms of going off for no reason. An internet trawl suggested that the sensors in the lock don't like high humidity. I wrote to Xena asking if they were aware of sensor problem, and if it had been rectified or would be rectified - I would have bought another one I liked them so much. No answer 6 mths later. Still, it is a good padlock (with the battery removed to stop false alarms in the middle of the night), albeit very expensive!

I also bought the cheap Santoshi alarm/padlock here in CM. The alarm lasted about 3 weeks. Apparently they don't like any moisture either.

Xena uses an optical sensor. If it gets dirty, it will produce false alarms. Unfortunately, there isn't much about a brake rotor that remains clean... It's up to the user to maintain it, and I'll admit, that's a pain in the butt! If the sensor is kept clean, the Xena works well. But it doesn't take much to screw it up!

• 11 months later...

Xena uses an optical sensor. If it gets dirty, it will produce false alarms. Unfortunately, there isn't much about a brake rotor that remains clean... It's up to the user to maintain it, and I'll admit, that's a pain in the butt! If the sensor is kept clean, the Xena works well. But it doesn't take much to screw it up!

Yep, I have a Xena alarm disc lock and have had no problems - just clean the optical sensor with a cotton bud now and again and you should not get ant false alarms. The alarms can be purchased from Panda Rider in BKK who can EMS to Chiang Mai.

Edited by jagi00

• 3 weeks later...

If only it was that simple. Naturally I cleaned the sensors glass. In fact, I tried every tip I found when internet trawling. If you suspect my experience or numerous false alarms is an isolated event, do an internet search yourself for Xena problems.

If only it was that simple. Naturally I cleaned the sensors glass. In fact, I tried every tip I found when internet trawling. If you suspect my experience or numerous false alarms is an isolated event, do an internet search yourself for Xena problems.

Operator error or faulty equipment? Internet forums are full of good and bad info - I can only say it works for me.

No, the sensor on my useless Xena was not suffering from being dirty. I tried every fix suggested on the many internet sites where this problem has been reported. Cleaning every millimetre of sensor surface with Q tips and alcohol, wetting every conceivable part with a moisture displacer (WD40), buying a new battery (!!), hanging it at the vertical so there cannot be the slightest unintentional movement etc etc. Still it went off at irregular intervals with no movement of the bike. At least I had a year's use from mine before it stuffed up. My friend's alarm (purchased in Thailand) was only a few weeks old when it followed exactly the same pattern as mine. At least he got a refund.

You seem confident in the Xena, so PM me. I'll sell it to you for 20% of the new price. You will have an alarm you believe in at a ridiculous price, and I will have unloaded a lock in which I have absolutely no confidence (and have recovered a few of my wasted $$).

From further research it does seem that the heavier & more expensive Abus Granit disc alarm lock, using a similar design, does seem to be reliable and effective. Or at least I assume so - I cannot find hundreds of buyers complaining on the internet as I did with Xena.

Not sure why you think that I would want  to buy a dodgy unit from you when I have a good one already! I hope you have better luck with the Abus.

Just offering you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. You seem to believe so strongly that the fault can't be with Xena products that I thought you may be also be sufficiently obtuse to give me back some of the money I lost to Xena. You could always give it to a friend?

I suppose an alarm would help if the owner is nearby. But I have heard thousands of car alarms disturbing the peace (usually false alarms) and never, ever, seen anyone go investigate or call the cops or respond in any way except "Turn that damn thing off!"

I've been looking for one of those locks, too. I live in a condo building and recently I noticed that my keyhole was tampered with, probably with a screwdriver in an attempt to start it up and steal my scooter.

Also, someone was telling me that there is a type of motorcycle battery trickle charger available here that uses solar panels. I have a trickle charger in the States called Battery Tender Junior but you have to plug it into an electrical outlet. Anyone seen these solar panel trickle chargers for a motorcycle battery? I am going back to the States for five months and will be putting my scooter in storage, but want to maintain the charge on my battery.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not sure why you think that I would want to buy a dodgy unit from you when I have a good one already! I hope you have better luck with the Abus.

Just offering you the opportunity to put your money where your mouth is. You seem to believe so strongly that the fault can't be with Xena products that I thought you may be also be sufficiently obtuse to give me back some of the money I lost to Xena. You could always give it to a friend?

No need for nasty comments just because my alarm works OK. If you want compensation for your alarm why not take it back to your supplier.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you think that I would want  to buy a dodgy unit from you when I have a good one already! I hope you have better luck with the Abus.

No need for nasty comments just because my alarm works OK. If you want compensation for your alarm why not take it back to your supplier.

Not nasty - just perturbed by your inability to acknowledge this company may be selling a product that frequently fails. If your Xena works - well done. But don't reject the experience of me and hundreds of others on the basis of one working unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to buy a standard Xena disc lock without alarm in Chiangmai. Neither the Yamaha/Honda dealers nor the bike shops on Chiang Moi sell these locks. Only one shop on Chiang moi had some chinese 150Baht disc brake locks in stock.

Could anybody please tell me where exactly in Chiangmai I can get this Xena disc brake locks (without alarm). Thank you.

Edited by extazzy77

Not sure why you think that I would want to buy a dodgy unit from you when I have a good one already! I hope you have better luck with the Abus.

Not nasty - just perturbed by your inability to acknowledge this company may be selling a product that frequently fails. If your Xena works - well done. But don't reject the experience of me and hundreds of others on the basis of one working unit.

It read nasty to me! If you are so sold on internet forum comments, why did you not research them \before you purchased it? Anyway, bottom line - it works for me. Go get a life.

Edited by jagi00