How Many Boxed Apples Have You Ever Brought In From Overseas?

mr3cho

A good friend of mine is visiting this month from the US and I asked him to bring me 2 iPad minis. One is for me and the other I'm giving to my friend as a gift. No intention to resell. I'd like to have the gift in the original box but he said he'll try to bring both in box. I believe I read 10,000 baht is the max amount for gifts but If Customs searches his baggage, seeing 2 ipads in box, I'm assuming they will jump to conclusions.

Has anyone had issues bringing in merchandise in the original packaging? I'm trying to gauge if I should just have him unbox at least one of them.

The rule: You have to go to the red channel and will pay taxes on those two IPads to make them legal...

The fact: Most people will walk through green channel and hope for the best... I only ever have been screened once in my 5y of coming to Thailand and even then, only checked luggaged not hand luggage...

The Issue: IF you get caught... too bad for you, they might even keep the two Ipad and turn you around towards immigration out...

The Issue: IF you get caught... too bad for you, they might even keep the two Ipad and turn you around towards immigration out...

Much more likely you'll just have to pay a lot of money and then be sent on your way. A mini's less likely to get confiscated than an iP*d, but that's certainly on the table too.

But I really have a hard time imagining the scenario of denying you entry for that kind of offense, it would be considered unpatriotic to deny Thailand that incremental tourism revenue.

My grandparents sent us a box of Washington Reds once through the post.

They were completely tasteless, like eating cotton wool

SC

Well they would be, now if on the other hand you had got them to send some English Cox's ....

Have you checked the prices buying direct from Apple Thai e-shop? http://store.apple.com/th

They are mailed directly from China via Hong Kong.

Yes, the price difference is very similar (+200 baht). However not knowing what the availability situation was going to be here, I had him order them on the first day they were available online in the US.

Thailand seems to be getting new Apple products a bit faster than before, which could be good news for the future.