Info For British Nationals

laura1c

"Global standards, consistent and reliable service'...absolute rubbish, its to save money, 12 Billion squandered in foreign aid and cant spare a few grand for Expats in Pattaya......thats why many have left that sorry place so you can stick the government and its offices where the sun dosnt care to shine.

You don't seem to understand what the purpose of foreign aid is.

It wins contracts, thereby creating demand for British goods and services and safe-guarding British jobs.

So what are you saying? the Foreign Aid gift pays for the Contracts? or is it a Bribe to get the Contracts?

Foreign aid usually comes with strings attached. Usually they have to spend it on British goods. It is more of a subsidy. The aid pays for 50% or more of the goods bought in the UK. The government gets the money back by taxing the workers that still have jobs.

"Global standards, consistent and reliable service'...absolute rubbish, its to save money, 12 Billion squandered in foreign aid and cant spare a few grand for Expats in Pattaya......thats why many have left that sorry place so you can stick the government and its offices where the sun dosnt care to shine.

It wins contracts, thereby creating demand for British goods and services and safe-guarding British jobs.

So what are you saying? the Foreign Aid gift pays for the Contracts? or is it a Bribe to get the Contracts?

Foreign aid usually comes with strings attached. Usually they have to spend it on British goods. It is more of a subsidy. The aid pays for 50% or more of the goods bought in the UK. The government gets the money back by taxing the workers that still have jobs.

Can't see your logic here i'm afraid? Seems like a case of :I will give you money,as long as you spend it in my shop! far more gain for me,if I kept the money in my pocket,especially as in this case the UK can't afford to give out money in aid, which will never entirely come back.

I'm not sure that working out of a shed in soi 5 was an ideal representation of the British Embassey and although I've never been to see either of the guys there I suspect it wasn't viewed favourably perhaps a little adhoc - no insult intended.

If Howard is inclined to helping people here in Pattaya perhaps he will continue the role on his own

Why don't you volunteer?

I is very easy for someone to suggest someone else does unpaid work, but I do not see the people making the suggestion offering, yet they seem to have plenty of time on their hands.

I'm not sure that working out of a shed in soi 5 was an ideal representation of the British Embassey and although I've never been to see either of the guys there I suspect it wasn't viewed favourably perhaps a little adhoc - no insult intended.

If Howard is inclined to helping people here in Pattaya perhaps he will continue the role on his own

Why don't you volunteer?

I is very easy for someone to suggest someone else does unpaid work, but I do not see the people making the suggestion offering, yet they seem to have plenty of time on their hands.

I have a very good reason - I don't have the knowledge or training to offer help in this area

PS Howard, No offence was intended, I don't know you and have never used the consular service, I have also never commented on your activities as a police volunteer, I was simply giving my POV as to why the powers that be decided to withdraw this facility as it doesn't seem that funding was really the issue

I checked last week, one calendar month.

Just to save me a trip to Immigration to check, does anyone know how long in advance you can apply for an Extension of Stay (Retirement) at Immigration, and how long the Proof of Pension letter from the Consulate is valid for?

The last time I renewed my passport at the Bangkok Embassy they sent me back my old passport and someone else's new passport, so I'd prefer not to send them anything less important such as bank statements, etc, that I might need and they may take less care with.

Firstly, it was not a shed, it was adequate but certainly not ideal. I did not receive one complaint from anyone who came to the Consulate about its size or even it's lack of air-conditioning during my 16 months there. For the Embassy to use that as an excuse to close the place is shameful in my opinion.

Your final comment amuses me.......I used to be called a fake Policeman when I was with the Tourist Police. You are now suggesting I become a fake Honorary Consul instead........no thanks tongue.png

Personally I think you made the web as a Fake Policeman only because you weren't a Policeman but tried to appear as one.

A Volunteer assistant is NOT a Policeman even though I notice that some of the crew of Farangs there the other night are wearing Vests with 'Tourist Police ' emblazoned on the back.

BUT even with your vested interests I always had the impression you do really try to assist

I am not a Brit so it has no effect on me but I don't believe the US or Aussie Embassies give too much assistance to their citizens here either

Edited by Ohio

My guess is that most foreign aid goes into some crooked politicians pocket. In the case of US aid to the peoples of Afghanistan to help in their fight against the Russian invaders, most of the money went into building Pakistan's secret nuclear bomb complex.

I checked last week, one calendar month.

Many thanks, PD - unfortunately my renewal's in 2 months, so too far away for a letter from the Consulate and not long enough to put money in my account for 3 months, so its the Embassy after all.

I don't actually mind the Consulate being closed too much, as to be fair its only 2 hours from Pattaya and 300 baht return by bus and MTR so the Embassy do have a point, but what I do mind is the way that its been done - first "upgrading" the staff level and binning the previous staff then less than a year later closing it completely supposedly for financial reasons. Something stinks.

... I did not receive one complaint from anyone who came to the Consulate about its size or even it's lack of air-conditioning during my 16 months there. For the Embassy to use that as an excuse to close the place is shameful in my opinion.

Ditto, Howard. I never heard anyone complaining about the place or noticed any overcrowding - although there may have been both after they only started opening two days a week instead of five!

Just to cheer you all up when you recieve a new passport you have to go to BKK in person to recieve your free 'please transfer any visa ' etc letter for immigration.

You can of course get a new passport from HK with just sending a photocopy of your passport.

Amazing.

Realy???

I just took my new passport into Pattaya Immigration and they put some stamps in the new passport, no charge and finished?

Just to cheer you all up when you recieve a new passport you have to go to BKK in person to recieve your free 'please transfer any visa ' etc letter for immigration.

You can of course get a new passport from HK with just sending a photocopy of your passport.

Amazing.

Realy???

I just took my new passport into Pattaya Immigration and they put some stamps in the new passport, no charge and finished?

Amazing.

It has been standard practice that you got a ' please transfer letter' from the consulate. With the office now closing you will have to go to BKK in person to get the letter.

Maybe you were lucky.

Have a look on the Thai Visa forum -''How long is a pension letter valid for '' mls posted today she was told by immigration there was no time limit on pension letter . Barry Kenyon told me 30 days - that is the problem - it all depends on who you speak to and what side of the bed they got out off.

Edited by pontious

Realy???

Amazing.

Ditto, PD. Its been a while since I did mine, but I've never come across or needed any covering letter requirement before.

If the letter's free, presumably you only need to send photocopies of the new and old passports and to pay for any postage for the letter in any case rather than go to Bangkok yourself - not that 300 baht is too excessive for travel costs!

Edited by LeCharivari

Realy???

Amazing.

Ditto, PD. Its been a while since I did mine, but I've never come across or needed any covering letter requirement before.

If the letter's free, presumably you only need to send photocopies of the new and old passports and to pay for any postage for the letter in any case rather than go to Bangkok yourself - not that 300 baht is too excessive for travel costs!

No you have to go in person - hence my post above - look at 'how long is the pension income letter valid for' on the Visa forum. Page 2 probably by now. You will note OJAS has sent an email to ask the embassy why?

• 1 month later...

Firstly, it was not a shed, it was adequate but certainly not ideal. I did not receive one complaint from anyone who came to the Consulate about its size or even it's lack of air-conditioning during my 16 months there. For the Embassy to use that as an excuse to close the place is shameful in my opinion.

Your final comment amuses me.......I used to be called a fake Policeman when I was with the Tourist Police. You are now suggesting I become a fake Honorary Consul instead........no thanks tongue.png

Judging from the "real" British Consul's comments last week, its more a NON-Consul than a "fake" Consul. According to the Consul at the British Embassy in Bangkok, Michael Hancock, in his talk to the Pattaya Expats Club meeting last week, the new Pattaya Honorary Consul won't be called on or permitted to answer ANY Consular questions at all as these will be dealt with by Bangkok, as will routine visits to those in hospital, arrested, etc, and they will only visit Brits or respond by phone/e-mail when the Embassy staff are unavailable and tell them to instead. Their main "job" will be organising and helping with visits to Pattaya by the "real" Embassy staff, unless there is an emergency like a tsunami in which case they will respond until the professionals from the Embassy take over.

More of an errand-boy than an Honorary Consul, even compared to the other Honorary Consuls in Thailand.