U S Woman To Pose With 'idiot' Sign For Traffic Violation

webfact

US Woman to Pose with 'Idiot' Sign for Traffic Violation

MOSCOW, November 7 (RIA Novosti) - A court in the US state of Ohio ordered a local woman to pose publicly with a sign branding her as an ‘idiot’ after finding her guilty of violating traffic regulations, WPTV.com news website reported.

In September this year, Shena Hardin, 32, was caught on a camera, when she instead of waiting bypassed a Cleveland school bus on the sidewalk as the bus was loading and unloading kids.

A municipal court in Cleveland ordered that Hardin will have to stay on an intersection, where she violated the traffic regulation, for an hour on Tuesday and Wednesday, wearing a sign that says "Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus."

Hardin was also deprived of her driver’s license for at least 30 days and was ordered to pay $250 in court expenses.

Source: http://en.rian.ru/wo.../177249431.html

-- RIA NOVOSTI 2012-11-07

footer_n.gif

Watching the video, I wondered why she didn't simply drive past the bus on the road?

The school bus doors should be on the right side, and the bus was stopped on the opposite side of the road.

Or is there a law in the US that says vehicles must stop on either side of the road when a school bus stops in order to protect uncareful kids?

Edited by manarak

Watching the video, I wondered why she didn't simply drive past the bus on the road?

The school bus doors should be on the right side, and the bus was stopped on the opposite side of the road.

Or is there a law in the US that says vehicles must stop on either side of the road when a school bus stops in order to protect uncareful kids?

Many US states have laws against passing, in either direction, a stopped school bus.

I would surmise that all US states have a law against driving on the SIDEWALK, which is what this woman did.

She is an idiot.

• Like 1

Many US states have laws against passing, in either direction, a stopped school bus.

I would surmise that all US states have a law against driving on the SIDEWALK, which is what this woman did.

She is an idiot.

Yes they do and yes she is

She is an idiot.

Definitely an idiot and should be suspended from driving for at least a year - and a heftier fine.

Being forced to wear a humiliating sign is indicative of the Judge's medieval immaturity and he/she should wear it at the bench !

That's my ruling

Edited by Thrilla
  • Like 1

Great idea - problem is there would not be enough signs to go round in Thailand

And that many farangs congregated in one place would probably require police surveillance and supervision ... and someone to pick up all the beer bottles left behind at the end of the hour.

Edited by Suradit69

Yes, it is against the law in the US to pass a school bus (on either side) while it is loading/offloading.

It's to protect kids who jump off the bus and run across the road without thinking.

She is an idiot.

Definitely an idiot and should be suspended from driving for at least a year - and a heftier fine.

Being forced to wear a humiliating sign is indicative of the Judge's medieval immaturity and he/she should wear it at the bench !

That's my ruling

Yeah well, you are not educated at law so motion denied. But the woman should have her licence suspended, not for 30 days but for life. She is clearly not mature enough to be behind a steering wheel.

The mentality in Thailand is that you cannot impose a sufficient fine (2000 Bt for running over a pedestrian... same as the fine for littering a cigarette butt). But even worse than issuing a fine, you absolutely cannot punish someone by having them lose face (the idiot sign). So instead, you go on with no enforcement of the law. Sabai sabai.

• Like 1

She is an idiot.

That's my ruling

Well it may be "Judge's medieval immaturity"

But it is far more effective.

Chances are she will drive and the $250 fine will not act as a deterrent.

Stop and think about it any one willing to put kids life's in danger is not to concerned with what no one see's but they will think twice about it if forced to wear a sign that has the truth printed on it and makes them look foolish in public.

Even a Idiot knows that when a school bus is stopped kids are liable to go any way with out looking particularly if it is on a sidewalk.

She is an idiot.

That's my ruling

Well it may be "Judge's medieval immaturity"

But it is far more effective.

Chances are she will drive and the $250 fine will not act as a deterrent.

Stop and think about it any one willing to put kids life's in danger is not to concerned with what no one see's but they will think twice about it if forced to wear a sign that has the truth printed on it and makes them look foolish in public.

Even a Idiot knows that when a school bus is stopped kids are liable to go any way with out looking particularly if it is on a sidewalk.

I think it's been effective in more ways than just her punishment. We're sitting here discussing it on a Thai forum. It's gone around the US and around the world. Brilliant move by the judge even if he didn't anticipate it would get such legs.

• Like 1

I thought of branding it on her forehead, initialised of course, like the A for adultresses in times gone by.

But then, I realised having an I in the middle of your forehead had some sort of religious significance.

And she could paint it red and pretend to be a hindu.