Bakery Ingredients

JanChiangrai

Thanx guys for the quick replies, I will be sure to go check these locations.

Tops did have some rye flour but now its in backorder, white/bread flour is no problem but rye for making darker bread is my biggest problem at the moment.

I will let you know what I can find, but if you or somebody else knows a good place, please let me know

Thnx

Thanx guys for the quick replies, I will be sure to go check these locations.

Tops did have some rye flour but now its in backorder, white/bread flour is no problem but rye for making darker bread is my biggest problem at the moment.

I will let you know what I can find, but if you or somebody else knows a good place, please let me know

Thnx

Do you want "darker" bread, or is it the rye taste? Beyond the type and grind of grain used, bread is made "darker" with caramel color. Caramel color can be made by cooking white granulated sugar in a skillet on medium heat until it browns and melts. Not burned or it will taste, but browned. Then the resultant rock hard caramel (hard when it cools) is broken or ground and a little water added to dissolve it. Today we buy caramel color in a bottle at a store.

Not sure what you want there...

The main "trade" supplier is called Wattana (I think)

It's 100m south of the Mae korn (little duck) lights on the northbound side. The place us nothing from the outside but a goldmine to bakers inside.

I looked for that shop before but never managed to find it.

The main "trade" supplier is called Wattana (I think)

It's 100m south of the Mae korn (little duck) lights on the northbound side. The place us nothing from the outside but a goldmine to bakers inside.

I looked for that shop before but never managed to find it.

It is a little further on past 'Four Lens Tours" and past a battery shop( I think it is ). It has no signage to speak of but as you get close you can smell it ( I can)

I had the same problem - have a bread machine but could only get white bread flour to which I added whole wheat, rye flours, raisins, nuts etc - but really need good non-white bread flour. I discovered some organic whole wheat flour in Tops in Silom Complex in BKK a few days ago. The label and recipe clearly shows it is genuine bread flour but with machines (but not with oven baking) the recipe calls for added wheat gluten which is unavailable in Thailand. Anyway, I will try it without gluten in my machine. Not cheap at about 115 baht per kilo but only requires a couple of cupfuls for a loaf. They also have spelt flour for bread making as well as one more which I can't remember. The packs are imported and are blue in colour.

In the Thanalai Road is a small shop with many things only for baking.I'm not shure about the flour there. But, it's worth a look.

It's the old way out of town to Chiang Mai. On the left side, around 250m before "Pratu Chiang Mai".

I'd like to send a link for Google Street View, Inside Google Maps. In my eyes the best way to explore the location, but it's not allowed to post links. So send me a PM if you're interested to get the link.

Tops in Chiangrai and Chiangmai have 800 gm packs of australian hard white flour with the brand red rose. It works well with a breadmaker. Just adjust the water so all the flour is just taken up. In Chiangrai they order it in for me as we bake a loaf every second day. It seems no problem to order 10 packs if they have none in stock and they put the extra on the shelf.

It makes great bread and if you add an egg to it the result is award winning.

Edited by harrry

In the Thanalai Road is a small shop with many things only for baking.I'm not shure about the flour there. But, it's worth a look.

It's the old way out of town to Chiang Mai. On the left side, around 250m before "Pratu Chiang Mai".

I'd like to send a link for Google Street View, Inside Google Maps. In my eyes the best way to explore the location, but it's not allowed to post links. So send me a PM if you're interested to get the link.

It is allowed to post links to Google Street View, or any other information resource such as this.

It is allowed to post links to Google Street View, or any other information resource such as this.

You only have one post....if you want to post a link just make I think four posts so that you are allowed to post links. With first post like this Welcome and hope to see the link soon.

Happy to see more bread bakers here :) I've been able to order rye flour from tops at central " the red rose brand" it really makes for a great bread in combination with white bread flour. Also found another shop called Mai Bakery in town they also sell rye flour in plastic bags of 500gr they keep it in the fridge there so not easy to find. Also started using some oats in and on the bread it really adds some flavor and looks good too.

Will give the caramel color for darkening the bread a try also.

Thanks everyone and if you ever want to try the bread or swap ideas for bread making in Thailand let me know :)

You only have one post....if you want to post a link just make I think four posts so that you are allowed to post links. With first post like this Welcome and hope to see the link soon.

Thanks for your welcome!

Okay, i try to post the Street View link again.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chiang+Rai+Thailand&hl=de&ll=19.908034,99.825854&spn=0.010532,0.021136&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,86.572266&oq=chiang&hnear=Chiang+Rai,+Thailand&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=19.907986,99.825565&panoid=i3x-6UisvRHO0rTtuoilMA&cbp=12,191.4,,0,-0.12

Thanks for your welcome!

Okay, i try to post the Street View link again.

https://maps.google....,191.4,,0,-0.12

Thats the shop where I get most of my ingredients from :D