Double Pricing (267%) At Insomnia / I-Bar

manarak

I started to avoid the place after I realised what they were charging us. The odd few times I have gone in the wife and her friends would sit at a table opposite and order their own drinks and we would order ours. It doesnt bother me that much with double pricing in thailand but it annoys me if I have to pay double on my wife who is thai also just because she is married to a farang.

Me thinks you are falling into the trap of thinking that price is somehow linked to cost, or something solid like that...

Price is linked to the market's ability to pay... Thai girls out with their friends, or there to wait for a freelance pickup can afford to pay 65 baht... if they charged them 200 baht they wouldn't go, and neither would the men that follow them...

Farrang men and women, and Thai girls out with a farrang, can afford to pay 200 baht... why would the bar not charge as much as you are willing to pay???

So the best answer is to do your drinking outside and not buy a drink at all in the club.

spend your money where you are happy to - if you aren't happy (or at least accepting) to pay 200 baht for a beer, you have plenty of choice of options... and the bar should be free to accept any pricing regime they choose...

I don't agree, in fact I disagree with the whole concept of market forces and the capitalist way. I am no communist but I sincerely believe that capitalist greed has destroyed or is destroying most western economies and that businesses need to be controlled in such a way that only a fair level of profit is made, not the exorbitant levels seen everywhere in this 21st century money-mad world.

Edited by gmac

Market forces are what generally keep prices down to a level where enough people will pay them. When fixed pricing happened in other countries,goods were just not available as it wasn't profitable to produce them. When that was de-regulated, products and produce became available and were often cheaper in the end than the fixed prices due to volume being generated. A bar, like any other business, would not survive if people were not paying their prices regularly enough to keep it afloat. Supply and demand may not be a perfect system but beats most others. No-one is forced to buy anything other than absolute necessities and a bar drink is not one of those.

Edited by petercool

Be very cautious if you decide to complain because you could get beaten up.

Why........??

Their staff is notorious for being violent and quickly turning to gang beating people, both men and women. About two years ago I watched four of their male bouncers psychically beat one tiny Thai female with their closed fists, punching her in the face/head and then gang kicking her in the head and body when she fell to the ground. No problems for them when the police came. Seen them wop a few falang too over the years. I now avoid the place. There are better places with less risk and hassle. Too many yaabaa freaks in there anyway now.

not sure what the story was, but been visiting Insomnia for years and never paid more than 110 baht for SanMig.

the member card is only 100 baht, so if you like the place, you buy the vip card and get the discounts-really do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure this one.

I started to avoid the place after I realised what they were charging us. The odd few times I have gone in the wife and her friends would sit at a table opposite and order their own drinks and we would order ours. It doesnt bother me that much with double pricing in thailand but it annoys me if I have to pay double on my wife who is thai also just because she is married to a farang.

You aren't paying double.The ladies that are single are getting a discount.

If you are a tourist you probably don't know, and therefore, don't care about the prices.. it's when you live here, then the 'double pricing' bugs you a little.

Perhaps they should allow a concessionary price for 'resident Falangs', say on production of their Thai ID, driving licence, etc

I'd be happy with that wai.gif

Be very cautious if you decide to complain because you could get beaten up.

Yes, I hear that a lot of people carry guns and some even carry Kalashnikovs. We are all in danger there. Stay safe.

So beware of the guy walking like a robot ................he has a Kalashnikov down his trousers...laugh.png

No, he is just happy to see you.biggrin.png

If a group of single ladies go in there with 1 farang your paying the same price for every lady, single or not. If I go in there with my wife I am paying the same price, if my wife goes in there alone shes paying less. If my wife goes in there with a group of girls she is paying less. Please explain single? To me it looks like if your with a farang single or not your paying extra.

it's not a question of price level, it is a question of "why does my girlfriend's beer cost 75 baht when she pays for it and 200 baht when I pay for it?"

my GF doesn't work there, she's not hooking for customers, she has no i-card for commission - she's just a guest as myself.

And my question, why would you take your gf to a hooker bar, and more importantly why would she agree to go?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

If a group of single ladies go in there with 1 farang your paying the same price for every lady, single or not. If I go in there with my wife I am paying the same price, if my wife goes in there alone shes paying less. If my wife goes in there with a group of girls she is paying less. Please explain single? To me it looks like if your with a farang single or not your paying extra.

I recall from another thread that you have problems understanding simple things, or is it just for the sake of having an argument?

Single in this situation (read freelance disco) is not in the company of a foreigner. Five ladies in company of one foreigner are considered five freelancers with a customer.

If 5 ladies enter the disco without a foreigner they are considered freelancers looking for business.

Do you suggest the waiters ask the ladies to proof their martial status?

I believe in this thread "single" means "currently without male companionship". Is not a marital status nor is it a sign of a women looking to sell her goodies. Even if there are a group on women with 1 male, they are no longer considered "currently without male companionship" as that 1 male in the group negates this.

Hopefully this will clarify things for those of you still having a hard time coming to terms with their policy.

it's not a question of price level, it is a question of "why does my girlfriend's beer cost 75 baht when she pays for it and 200 baht when I pay for it?"

my GF doesn't work there, she's not hooking for customers, she has no i-card for commission - she's just a guest as myself.

And my question, why would you take your gf to a hooker bar, and more importantly why would she agree to go?

He's checking out the talent for a bit on the side. So is she.

Edited by nanapong