Thai Opposition Seeks To Impeach Yingluck, Two Key Ministers

webfact

Thai Opposition seeks to impeach PM Yingluck, two key ministers

By Digital Media

ip.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 8 – Thailand’s parliamentary opposition whip petitioned the country’s anti-graft agency via the president of the Senate seeking to impeach Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat and Deputy Interior Minister Pol Lt-Gen Chatt Kuladilok for corruption.

Opposition chief whip Jurin Laksanavisit, who is a Democrat MP, petitioned the National Anti-Corruption Commission one day before the opposition is scheduled to file a no-confidence motion against some cabinet ministers with House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont.

Mr Jurin said the premier and her two cabinet members have been targeted for impeachment as the opposition believes their actions are tainted by corruption and violations of the law.

Regarding the no-confidence motion to be filed tomorrow, Mr Jurin said more than three ministers would be grilled, but he refused to name them.

One hundred fifty-five Democrats and two Rak Prathet Thai MPs signed the petition and the no-confidence motion. No Bhumjaithai Party MPs signed the petition without giving any reason, he said.

The opposition chief whip said he had asked the Senate President to ensure no information leakage in particular details of alleged wrongdoings of the premier and the two ministers until the debate scheduled for Nov 25-26.

The senate president said he would submit the petition to the graft-busting agency within 15 days. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-08

I am sure being honourable MPs this won't be leeked and the wrong doers will have first passports and then ill gotton gains re-distributed to the needy whilst they languish in public jails after a fair transparent process of course.

Waht bliss to live in a democracy.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

"The debate is scheduled for Nov 25-26"

Have they checked with Yingluck if she is available on that day?

Too lazy to search again, but the last week or so has seen confirmation that the PM would be present, although not all the time. Some cabinet members or Pheu Thai officials have suggested that two days should be enough anyway. I don't think they ended that sentence with 'because we have a majority and can do what we want anyway', although they might sad.png

IMPEACHMENT

Yingluck among three major targets

THE NATION

30193983-01_big.jpg

File photo : Yingluck

BANGKOK: -- Democrats to attack Sukampol, and Chatt for his role as transport minister; Bhum Jai Thai won't back impeachment and censure motions

The Democrat Party yesterday unveiled at least three censure targets - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat and Deputy Interior Minister Chatt Kuldiloke - by filing an impeachment motion against them.

It was a surprise that Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom was not an impeachment target as the Opposition has heavily attacked the government's rice-pledging scheme, especially for corruption. A Democrat source said it was the party's strategy but refused to elaborate.

Observers said the Opposition might want to attack Yingluck directly as the head of government, pointing out that it is the Pheu Thai government's policy.

Chatt is expected to be targeted for his performance in his previous position as transport minister. The motion seeks to impeach him retroactively.

The Constitution allows the Opposition to seek impeachment and hold censure debate retroactively against Cabinet members in cases of alleged corruption.

Democrat MP Jurin Laksanavisit, the chief Opposition whip, declined to elaborate on alleged wrongdoings of the three censure targets for fear that the government would be able to raise its guard. Jurin said the full list of censure targets would be announced today.

Jurin said the no-confidence motion had been signed by 155 Democrat MPs and two Rak Prathet Thai MPs. He said the Bhum Jai Thai Party had informed him that it would not join the censure debate.

"I am not worried about Bhum Jai Thai's decision not to join the censure debate. The Democrat party is not worried about being isolated," Jurin said.

"When the no-confidence debate is held the Opposition will be beaten anyway."

It has been speculated that the mainstream Bhum Jai Thai and its Matchima faction are seeking a chance to switch sides to join the coalition.

Democrat MP Naris Khamnurak yesterday complained that Bhum Jai Thai had changed its stand. He said the party had promised two weeks ago that it would sign both the impeachment and censure motions but on Wednesday, the party informed the Opposition whips that it would join only the censure debate without signing the impeachment motion. The party informed the whips at 9am yesterday that it would not join the censure debate either.

The impeachment motion was submitted to Senate Speaker Nikom Waiyarathanich. Nikom said he would inform the Senate of the motion on Monday and would verify the signatures of the MPs within 15 days before passing on the motion to the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Sukampol, who now supervises the Transport Ministry, and Chatt were accused of having siphoned off funds from the budget to repair roads damaged by massive flooding last year. Earlier, Democrat MPs, who are members of several House panels monitoring the budget spending, investigated and alleged there were irregularities in several flood rehabilitation projects.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he believed that Bhum Jai Thai had decided against joining the censure debate because the Democrats lacked strong evidence to back their corruption allegations against the government.

Prompong called on Bhum Jai Thai to vote in support of the government when the no-confidence vote is held.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-09

Once again, I hope that the Dems have hard and documented evidence of the alleged corruption.

In any case, even if they do, the PTP and affected MPs will just ignore the evidence. No criminal investigation will result and certainly no convictions. The Supoj case has gone completely quiet.

The allegations will be rebuffed with a weak "politically motivated" statement. CHalerm wil bark something about not good laws or some such junk.

Next.

Well I suppose it is a bit better than one or two no-confidence debates held when Thaksin was PM. He said that his ministers had won the debate before it had even started.

Wonder if Chalerm will be on the 'ear medicine' then?

Let's see:

9AM Get out of bed. Breakfast. Watch Ch.3.

11AM: Hairdressing appointment.

12PM: Lunch

1PM. Shopping @ Paragon

3PM: Pedicure and manicure.

4PM: Telcon with Big Brother

5PM: Ask Chalerm to bark more and protect her.

6PM: Dinner at Dusit Thani

Shucks, not enough time.

Only dinner at the Dusit Thani? or do you mean 'room service'?

• Like 1

Let's see:

9AM Get out of bed. Breakfast. Watch Ch.3.

11AM: Hairdressing appointment.

12PM: Lunch

1PM. Shopping @ Paragon

3PM: Pedicure and manicure.

4PM: Telcon with Big Brother

5PM: Ask Chalerm to bark more and protect her.

6PM: Dinner at Dusit Thani

Shucks, not enough time.

Only dinner at the Dusit Thani? or do you mean 'room service'?

and its brunch at the Four Seasons

post-46292-0-58003900-1352460011_thumb.j

Edited by waza

Once again, I hope that the Dems have hard and documented evidence of the alleged corruption.

In any case, even if they do, the PTP and affected MPs will just ignore the evidence. No criminal investigation will result and certainly no convictions. The Supoj case has gone completely quiet.

The allegations will be rebuffed with a weak "politically motivated" statement. CHalerm wil bark something about not good laws or some such junk.

Next.

post-9891-0-17086200-1352461367_thumb.jp

Foxy old Chalerm again eh?

Excellent - impeach and no confidence motion, keep the pressure on boys. Would like to see what she thinks she can do and who will be the spokesperson on her behalf.

what pressure? saai.gif

Do you believe some PTP MPs listen to the Democrats, than think "heck they are corrupt, that should not be", "heck this criminal from Dubai is giving her orders, if they Democrats wouldn't told me, I would never suspect that" and joint the no confidence motion?

My guess is they will be half sleeping and than support the government and there is zero pressure.

Although this should happen it unfortunmately never will.

They allowed the party to field a candidate in the first place that had connections with the convicted ex PM and then in spite of abundant evidence of vote buying they still never made a peep about it and allowed them to walk all over democracy and into power.

Now that they are in power there's only one of 2 things that will remove them,..

1) Loss at a re-election

2) Deposed by Coup

Option 1 would most likely be the best but might be hard to swing given the rampant vote buying and the red scmoozing (with any luck that will come unstuck).

Option 2 would likely fuel a civil commotion that could become prolonged and nasty. I think the military brass would probably be aware of that also.

They allowed the party to field a candidate in the first place that had connections with the convicted ex PM and then in spite of abundant evidence of vote buying they still never made a peep about it and allowed them to walk all over democracy and into power.

Now that they are in power there's only one of 2 things that will remove them,..

1) Loss at a re-election

2) Deposed by Coup

Option 1 would most likely be the best but might be hard to swing given the rampant vote buying and the red scmoozing (with any luck that will come unstuck).

Option 2 would likely fuel a civil commotion that could become prolonged and nasty. I think the military brass would probably be aware of that also.

Well option one is the only viable option.

I wonder how abhisit looks when he plants rice. Wheel out the big guns now, maybe korn can go pick durians, and suthep and kasit can do what?

Game over, the dems can't win until they completely revamp themselves.

1) Loss at a re-election

2) Deposed by Coup

Well option one is the only viable option.

I wonder how abhisit looks when he plants rice. Wheel out the big guns now, maybe korn can go pick durians, and suthep and kasit can do what?

Game over, the dems can't win until they completely revamp themselves.

I am guessing but I get the feeling they should revamp them selves and dump the lot of clowns in office now.

I can understand that. It would give the every day Thai a chance.

"Thai Opposition seeks to impeach PM Yingluck, two key ministers"

Sounds like a slander suit in the making.

In other news in Thailand, the children are still at the bottom in educational achievement and English speaking and Thai girls continue with one of the highest rates of pregnancy for teenagers. And the Army remains impervious to accountability for shooting civilians nearly three years ago. Pictures (of the MPs) at 11:00.

Edited by Jawnie