Which Airlines Do You Prefer Flying Back To America?

mr3cho

I have done the trip around 20 times and have flown mostly Korean Air and Delta because I live in Atlanta.

Korean Air has the best flight schedules, 1 stop in Seoul, the best food and the loveliest and most helpful flight attendants. The flight attendants actually help me get my carry-on into the overhead bin. Every Korean Air flight I have taken in the past 5 years has had touch screen entertainment systems and a large assortment of movies. They have always been on schedule and I am always happy to fly with them.

Delta has mostly 2 stop service through LA and then Tokyo, old flight attendants that hate their jobs and customers, old equipment some of which does not have personal entertainment systems in coach, and their prices are higher than most other airlines. Plus their frequent flyer program doubled its requirement for a free coach ticket from 60,000 to 125,000 miles last year. I only fly Delta in case of emergency.

Edited by rideswings
  • Like 1

EVA air all the way!

good service, few delays, quality meals (by airline standards), private flat screen for each seat with shows, movies, and games.

i once messed up my booking on the way back home. i booked EVA to CA and used an American airline to get back to my home city but on the way back i got the am/pm mixed up and arrived at the airport 12hrs late. when i called EVA and explained they put me on the next flight free of charge even though it was my error! i had to put myself up in LA for two days but since then i book them every time.

i once messed up my booking on the way back home. i booked EVA to CA and used an American airline to get back to my home city but on the way back i got the am/pm mixed up and arrived at the airport 12hrs late. when i called EVA and explained they put me on the next flight free of charge even though it was my error! i had to put myself up in LA for two days but since then i book them every time.

Apropos of nothing: I showed up whole family in tow in Honolulu on our way back to Australia a full 24 hours late, ticket was 3 minutes past midnight 8-)

No way we could afford a hotel room, but although Pan Am didn't have a flight going to Melbourne that night they got us to Sydney for free, I stayed over with the wife's ex-husband while she and the kids made their way by train.

Highly recommend Pan Am if you can get a flight, seem to have a reduced presence these days. . .

I think it depends a lot on where your final destination or original departure is in America. I have to begin all flights to anywhere E. or W. on United or Alaska, then change brands at LAX, PDX, SFO or SEA. We have no flights going either to the E. Coast US or even Hawaii/Asia. Due to this, connections become important if I don't want to spend 12 hours in LAX, SFO or SEA.

Because it is much cheaper to buy through United or Alaska and let them work with the other carriers rather than booking 2 flights myself, I'm limited. I take what I can get; whichever option results in the shortest total travel time which also means the least time spent wandering aimlessly in airports before I'm actually going somewhere.

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing: I showed up whole family in tow in Honolulu on our way back to Australia a full 24 hours late, ticket was 3 minutes past midnight 8-)

No way we could afford a hotel room, but although Pan Am didn't have a flight going to Melbourne that night they got us to Sydney for free, I stayed over with the wife's ex-husband while she and the kids made their way by train.

Highly recommend Pan Am if you can get a flight, seem to have a reduced presence these days. . .

Pan Am collapsed in December 1991, no wonder there is a reduced presence from them w00t.gif

• Like 2

I usually fly Delta to avoid having to sit through long delays at DFW or LAX, as the last thing i wanna do after a 12 hour flight is wander around an airport feeling manky for 4 or 5 hours. Delta is the only carrier that will get me home with 2 shortish stops in Tokyo and Atlanta, though i must admit their aircraft always seem a bit cramped, run down and the flight staff are always old bitter crones wearing to much makeup! whistling.gif

This is my most common routing and I have done a number of carriers. EVA is often my top pick because of pricing, and now that it will be integrated into Star Alliance, it can only get better. I used to love Delta, but it has really deteriorated over the years. United is long past its due date and just embarrassing. It's a rip off. What are those bozos thinking, charging business class fares and offering cramped 4 abreast seating? American is hopeless and unreliable. The line in the sand for me is avoiding LAX. I don't care which airline it is, LAX ruins every flight, especially because I often have to sleep over to make my connections work. I waited 2 1/2 hours to clear immigration at LAX one arrival and it was a 3rd world experience. On the other hand, SFO is wonderful airport, with the only drawback the unreliability due to fog. I always ask myself how come the homeland security people are so professional at SFO, yet so beligerent and rude at LAX, and still be airports in the same state. I'm also a fan of DFW. I know some people hate the place, but as far as airports go, it works,

I have one suggestion for US travelers, especially those heading to the east coast; consider a routing through Canada. You clear immigration and customs in Canada and avoid the long delays at JFK/EWR/ATL/PHL/ORD. I like the AC flights from HKG arriving at YVR or YYZ and it is so easy to make a US connection.

• Like 2

I have to agree with rideswings about Korean air

Best schedules especially for us because they fly into Chiangmai

with no stop in Bangkok.

After a long flight I do not need to wander Suvarnabhumi airport

Wow how long have they been flying into Chiang Mai? I have flown to CNX twice from the USA but stopped in BKK and then took BKK Airways to get to CNX. I just checked and Korean offers a one-stop to CNX from ATL for around the same price as BKK. If I had known they fly 1-stop to CNX, I would have done that and saved stopping in humungous chaotic BKK. I will surely do that next time I come because I usually have to spend the night in BKK because Korean sometimes arrives at midnight.

Thanks for that info!

Edited by rideswings

I have to agree with rideswings about Korean air

Best schedules especially for us because they fly into Chiangmai

with no stop in Bangkok.

After a long flight I do not need to wander Suvarnabhumi airport

Wow how long have they been flying into Chiang Mai? I have flown to CNX twice from the USA but stopped in BKK and then took BKK Airways to get to CNX. I just checked and Korean offers a one-stop to CNX from ATL for around the same price as BKK. If I had known they fly 1-stop to CNX, I would have done that and saved stopping in humungous chaotic BKK. I will surely do that next time I come because I usually have to spend the night in BKK because Korean sometimes arrives at midnight.

Thanks for that info!

Oh quite awhile now I think.

We have used it for the past 2-3 years

It is so very easy to arrive in Chiangmai & everything from getting bags to

customs checks so much quicker more relaxed

Also China Airlines use to do it too. ( fly into Chiangmai )

But you had to stay in Taipei overnight on the way there.

They did pay for your room though as part of the ticket price which was

quite reasonable.

I do not know if China still does it as since we switched to Korean we never went back.

Korean was/is better on many levels. Not least of which is my perceived condition of their aircraft smile.png

Edited by mania

Thai Air I would previously have said, but now they do not fly direct to LAX.

Same here, I used to religiously fly the BKK-LAX direct route in Premium Economy... best product value on the market hands down.

Given Turkish Airlines a whirl for this holiday season as I'm *A flyer, United sucks, and SQ is comparatively higher than TK for my itinerary. Plus a nice stopover in IST is in the works, much more interesting than a couple hours in Changi clap2.gif

My preference is Singapore, but as I am a million miler with United, I usually take them. My flight on Monday from San Antonio to BKK sucked, though. In January, I will be taking the new Dreamliner back to BKK, so I will reserved further castigations on United until then.

Good to read that EVA will be joining Star Alliance. That's a nice airline.

I am not sure why posters are jumping all over LAX with comments about having to overnight. ANA, United, Delta, and KAL all arrive in LAX in the early morning, so I would think that a connecting flight should be possible for most routes, but I could be mistaken, I guess.

Mostly flown Korean Air. Daily flights out of Washington DC with only one stop in Incheon along the way. Price is always competitive with others and the crew is always lovely and attentive. I think KAL must retire them after they turn 30

Flew United once. Not sure if they are indicative of western airlines in general but I'll stick to asian carriers.

• Like 1

I go to LA four times a year, and over the last 12 years I've flown: Singapore, Eva, United, Northwest, Cathay, China, Thai, American, ANA & KAL. When Thai had the nonstop, it was hands-down the best, and that's all I flew for years. The last few times I've flown United, and their service has improved tremendously, and decent leg room. You also get a Star Aliance gold card after only three trips in a year, letting you use the lounges, and allowing you three checked bags up to 70 pounds each. In just the last year I also got a free upgrade from economy to economy plus for the entire flight twice, and to business on the LA to Narita segment once. They are just about the cheapest as well.

I liked KAL as well and flew them for a couple years, and Seoul is a nice airport, but they just got too pricey.

Mostly flown Korean Air. Daily flights out of Washington DC with only one stop in Incheon along the way. Price is always competitive with others and the crew is always lovely and attentive. I think KAL must retire them after they turn 30

Flew United once. Not sure if they are indicative of western airlines in general but I'll stick to asian carriers.

Yes, US carriers suck. The service is terrible and they will charge you extra for almost anything. Can't speak for European carriers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I go to LA four times a year, and over the last 12 years I've flown: Singapore, Eva, United, Northwest, Cathay, China, Thai, American, ANA & KAL. When Thai had the nonstop, it was hands-down the best, and that's all I flew for years. The last few times I've flown United, and their service has improved tremendously, and decent leg room. You also get a Star Aliance gold card after only three trips in a year, letting you use the lounges, and allowing you three checked bags up to 70 pounds each. In just the last year I also got a free upgrade from economy to economy plus for the entire flight twice, and to business on the LA to Narita segment once. They are just about the cheapest as well.

I liked KAL as well and flew them for a couple years, and Seoul is a nice airport, but they just got too pricey.

I also fly quite a bit and over the years have flown pretty much every airline. The Asian airlines do have better service (overall), but not always the best price nor the best connections. It also depends on where your going. We've flown United the past 2 trips and as mentioned above, the service was fine. We had some problems with our seating and customer service sorted it out nicely. We're coming back with a dog and they even have a specialized department for that. Great recommendations from them on how to do this.

Plus, the flight was about the cheapest and the connections were the shortest (LAS->BKK). We got upgraded to economy plus for free, early boarding, and a generous luggage allowance. I've not seen any annoying extra charges so far. In fact, have not paid a penny more since we made our reservation.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back on a flight with UAL. It was OK. Cattle call, but that's about the same on any airline. Staff were pretty good. Only encountered on surly FA, the rest were actually quite funny and helped us as best they could. We were flying with my 87 year old mom and her dog. Wheelchair service setup the whole way. Food was pretty bad and the plane from SFO to Tokyo didn't have seat back TVs. A bit of a bummer, but we just read our books or played a few vids on the iPad (bring a splitter for your ear jack...works great).

We did upgrade to Economy Plus. Flights were pretty packed, and was disappointed we were off loaded on the tarmac and had to take a shuttle to the terminal. Not good for an 87 year old, jet lagged lady.

Just got back on a flight with UAL. It was OK. Cattle call, but that's about the same on any airline. Staff were pretty good. Only encountered on surly FA, the rest were actually quite funny and helped us as best they could. We were flying with my 87 year old mom and her dog. Wheelchair service setup the whole way. Food was pretty bad and the plane from SFO to Tokyo didn't have seat back TVs. A bit of a bummer, but we just read our books or played a few vids on the iPad (bring a splitter for your ear jack...works great).

We did upgrade to Economy Plus. Flights were pretty packed, and was disappointed we were off loaded on the tarmac and had to take a shuttle to the terminal. Not good for an 87 year old, jet lagged lady.

UA used to have an FA base here in Thailand, twice, but no more. Many FAs on the BKK-NRT, and even NRT-USA, sectors would be NRT-based, and likely Japanese or Asian. But then UA flight attendant Iris Peterson retired at age 85! ( I flew with her many, many times.)

I fly UA exclusively between BKK and the U.S.A. (BOS) and am generally pleased with the schedule. service, amenities, clubs, price. I purchase economy, USA-BKK-USA stringing those together, and use earned complimentary upgrades to upgrade to business (or first domestically). When the BKK-NRT sector on UA is cancelled I've been put on both TG and DL, both of which seemed acceptable. The DL A330 (?) seemed brand new and the staff were pleasant and professional.

I haven't don the trans-Pacific hop myself for a few years but when I did, I chose UA for the extra legroom at the front of Coach. The SFO layovers were adequate (final destination Houston). I also tried CO non-stop to NRT and that was an arse bone breaker despite the newer aircraft. This of course was prior to UA eating CO. I did use TG once via LAX but the LAX experience totally wiped out the feelgood vibe!

My buddies have recently used SQ via DME and SIN and didn't complain much beyond the mercifully short Moscow layover. The prices that SQ were offering last year for r/t flights originating in Houston was less than a grand! Pity they never did it for flights starting on this side.

I see that Etihad and Qatar now service Houston via their respective mid-east hubs. If they have removed the murderous layovers that were involved on their initial scheduling, I may use one of them for a change.

Edited by NanLaew