Making Friends In Bangkok

bobbysamuels

why you wanna make friends in BK anyway?

many people come here to get away from west society and be left alone

can be a bore when have to make excuse why you cant go to .... boring overprice farang pub/restaurant

1st attraction for Bangkok for me is wide variety of place to go.even go look at different area out in suburban area more interesting, but no, most farang want to hang around sukkhumvhit and khao san road type of placebah.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit late but I lost a long reply to this unbelievable post - though it's likely pointless, I truly believe some of these issues are the biggest problems facing the world today; and I admit I have been more guilty than bobbysamuels of some of these outrageous tendencies until I became more sane (or less insane) in Thailand.

Yes i do thinking marrying for money, screwing your boss for an employment advantage is wrong, those examples right there is exactly what is wrong with society's way of thinking. Just because things are the way they are, doesn't mean that they should be.

What is wrong with Societies all over this world of conflict is what you're guilty of doing right here. You have been conditioned to believe things which are ingrained in your belief system but they are mere side-effects of impossibly more creepy and disturbing ingrained corruption involving the very types who proclaim morals to remedy the ills they impose onto a Society they've reduced into a state of denied misery with their endless lies. Your Certainty that you Know Best about what others should do with their lives (when they're doing what they want to do without hurting anyone) is one of the most terrifying examples of the ever-increasing narcissism conditioned into manipulable victims of nationalistic / moralistic propaganda. Everyone Knows All of Knowledge but the most clueless of all are Certain they Know Best. They kill and incarcerate with a piety that is terrifying.

It literally doesn't matter than you may be technically correct on some of these issues because humans have the intrinsic inalienable Right to Choose their own fate (so long as no one is being forced or coerced or made to suffer to please etc). It's impossibly insulting and patronising to imagine they haven't considered their circumstances and options. Do you think they're all stupid and need your profound alerting them to the widely-perceived 'obvious'? People act on motive/s which may or may not be in their best interest; but you passing judgement on their decisions as if you could possibly Know Best how they should pursue Happiness is a far greater moral wrong than anything they've chosen which they might regret. And it's all so redundant because you will never make a reader who has married for money (for example) think "Oh maybe I should reassess my life because an Internet forum poster says I'm immoral."

nb. Again, I have been more guilty of this than anything you've shown here; so I'm not attacking you but you have got to realise that what has been blasted into you via entertainment media isn't sane, logical nor in your best interests to persist with.

all i'm saying is a 70 year old with a 25 year old can't really have anything in common (in most cases). All i was saying is that wouldn't you be happier in the long run for the remainder of your life if you were with someone who understands you or has some of the same interest as you? Most of these girls can barely understand what you are saying to them half the times. What does this teach your children? That sex and shallowness trumps true and meaningful relationships with the opposite sex, and that a women is only as good if she is still young ?

And as sex for sport, definitely no problems there, but sex shouldn't be more important than integrity.

Again, can you not see how ludicrously patronising you're being? Do you think a 70 year old man is a confused kid in middle school or junior high and still confused by Personality v Sex Appeal v Popularity considerations? One imagines they've been around the traps. They're making decisions that they believe will make them happy. You would lecture them on "shared interests" and the importance of "finding mutual hobbies"? ohmy.png

Now, if you want to point out corrections to the lies of the stereotypes they may have susceptible to falling for (that someone should not come to a foreign country and imagine that $$ will buy love or a fulfilling friendship, etc); that would be valid I imagine because I'm pretty sure some are under that impression - but it should be in the form of disclosure - sharing information or a cautionary warning if you have reason to believe they've fallen for the deception - not a moral judgement or indictment. You'll get nowhere with that approach in this two-faced world of religious creeps who tell you to do what they have no intention of doing; moralising on their soapboxes about Christian values and slapping your face with a "no comment" or censoring you when you ask why they're insulting their ostensible Christ by brazenly participating in an outrageous Luke 14:33 fraud. People have met a lot of those types before. They're not very popular for understandable reasons.

Now if you think women are being victimised when they marry for money then you might want to talk to women about that; because unless you're living in a Fantasy world of "progressive equality and Truth" that doesn't exist, last time I checked a lot of women are still misrepresenting sex as something they don't care for when of course that's an insulting, outrageous attempt to parley [doing what they want to do] into [insert deceptively acquired 'advantage' here]. I am a Supply v Demand advocate but it's disgusting to be out with a girl and suddenly find yourself listening to an impromptu speech about how she's 'pure' or 'good' or not interested in 'sex' when I certainly haven't solicited that horrific deceit and - quite frankly - lose interest because this is a world where truths tend to be found in reversals.

Last I checked, women were still playing manipulative games of coy and coquette and feigned precocious and all that creepy religious-sourced horror (Numbers 31:18 if you're looking for some source material). Guys aren't driving these patterns any more; women are in control of women now. There are a lot of girls running game like this on guys where it's all tease tease tease then suddenly they're "not that type of girl" (which one presumes is "the honest type" when they run these games). But hint hint they could be for the guy that "treats them Right" (i.e. degrades them by rewarding them for [doing what they want to do]). Last time I checked women were still wearing chemicals on their face to be presentable. You want to talk about exploitation; women are driving this cosmetic madness now. I've never heard a guy in my entire life comment on a girl's make-up (except to say it needs to come off). Have you? I've heard so many girls critique each other's beauty techniques with that trademarked thick smear of 'caring' that makes you shudder because it's filthy and transparent viciousness under the guise of sympathy that doesn't fool anybody.

Two-thirds of women surveyed said that heading to the office bare-faced caused them more stress than public speaking, going on a first date or enduring a job interview...an earlier study released last November indicated that one in three bosses think their employees wear too much makeup.

Women are exploiting women now. More stress than public speaking, first dates or job interviews? I can't imagine living under that kind of torturous pressure. This is an outrage.

Say, does your girlfriend wear cosmetics? I don't hear of many girls who are liberated, in this regard. Maybe you might consider your domestic situation before projecting your Knowing Best onto others?

JMO. Impossibly more valid than the majority opinion, and that is not my 'opinion'. That is fact. The public opinion is worthless. Caring about it is a fast-track to insanity. And it's one of the reasons why this world is going up in mushroom clouds sooner or later. Everyone Knows Best.

• Like 1

Best advice: get a dog.

I have a female Soi Dog that I raised from a pup. I am having some problems though. Most Thais don't even know she is a Soi Dog because she is so pretty. She has eaten well and had all her shots, really turned into a beautiful dog. But she won't do anything unless i give her food or treats. If I want her to sit up, or roll over or fetch no problem if I give her a cookie but without the treat she just sits there and stares at me. She also insists on a new collar every month. She won't go for walks until she gets it.

Bobbysamuels: "ok i haven't lived here that long, but i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai and from their social circles as well as the thai english teachers thai i have met, they all say that most 25 year old girls who are with older men are generally bar girls without much education (of course there are exceptions o the rule). You should see what is said about the older farang men with girls that are 25."

Just out of curiosity, what did your Thai family say about the older, rich and/or influential Thai men in your family (the socalled Puh yai), who often also enjoy the company of young girls? (I assume there are some, as you mention that you have a big Thai family). Do they avoid these men and call them names as well, or do they respect, bow and wai to them as most Thais do?

Assuming they do the latter, then what does that tell you about your Thai family? Are they really against old men being with young girls, or are they really just against old FOREIGN men being with young girls?

PS: Just in case your big Thai family have never seen an older rich/influential Thai man with a young girlfriend and subsequently paid him respect, then I apologise for my assumptions.

Edited by monkeycountry

And to answer your question. If you want to find friends who do not only drink, fuc_k and do drugs go to sportsclubs or similar as someone already mentioned. There you may find people who share your interests or hobbies and asking them if they want to play a round of whatever game they play in the club is a great ice breaker. Remember though, as you seem to be looking for young people, you will most likely only find single guys or guys with Thai girlfriends. There are very few young foreign couples who stay permanently in Bangkok, simply because they usually can't make ends meet, and even if they can, odds are the girl will eventually leave as the guy starts to find the local girls interesting.

Edited by monkeycountry

Bobbysamuels: "ok i haven't lived here that long, but i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai and from their social circles as well as the thai english teachers thai i have met, they all say that most 25 year old girls who are with older men are generally bar girls without much education (of course there are exceptions o the rule). You should see what is said about the older farang men with girls that are 25."

Just out of curiosity, what did your Thai family say about the older, rich and/or influential Thai men in your family (the socalled Puh yai), who often also enjoy the company of young girls? (I assume there are some, as you mention that you have a big Thai family). Do they avoid these men and call them names as well, or do they respect, bow and wai to them as most Thais do?

Assuming they do the latter, then what does that tell you about your Thai family? Are they really against old men being with young girls, or are they really just against old FOREIGN men being with young girls?

PS: Just in case your big Thai family have never seen an older rich/influential Thai man with a young girlfriend and subsequently paid him respect, then I apologise for my assumptions.

You should see what is said about the older farang men with girls that are 25

Brilliant post, tell it like it is.

Love it, of course if your wife is from (edited) work it out yourself, then the above doesnt apply.

Well done to this poster for telling it how it is, hats off, much kudos.

Hey ,guys , chill out. This is a forum for the olddies to moan and the younger ones to groan , just have a laugh on what you read and don't be too serious .

Remember the guy who have all the hi so , VP of big companies , normal girls falling head over heels ,missing him ,and the big boss of the company practically adopted ( he is so lovely and irresistible ) him, just let people have their dreams.

Why bother to wake them up.....

Dear Little Boy - Grow up! Evidently you miss the teeny bopper friends you had before you ventured out into the real world to make a real living - you can never go back. Most people are wise enough to figure out that a critical perfectionist who spends time pointing a finger at the imperfect is himself not just imperfect but also very insecure. P.S. The good news about being older is we've survived and the bad news is you are growing our way we are not going yours.

As you are so were we; as we are so will you be. _Iain Pears (The Portrait)