Ghost Festival-Themed Gangnam Style Video Offends Loei Villagers

webfact

Funny thing is the video will bring attention to the festival and bring in more visitors

I think people should learn to sit back relax and get the sticks out of their ARSenals

perhaps bringing attention and visitors is what they dreaded? look at how people destroy songkran

"People" destroy Songkhran?

Ever noticed how many Thais obviously enjoy the mayham?

My question: if a big number of Thai- people actually like to "celebrate" a traditional festival in a "new" way...how is that "destroying" it?

Ever notice how many residents do not enjoy the mayhem?

Personally I can't stand the Gangnam Garbage. I'll wave a red flag for you guys in the village.

Right up there with the short lived numa-numa dance?

680,376,106 views to date. That's about 10% of the population of the planet. w00t.gif

Have you uploaded any videos lately? biggrin.png

UPDATE

Revise ghost-festival clip, minister orders

Pakamas Jaichalard

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome said yesterday that the "Gangnam Style" video clip advertising Loei province's famous ghost festival should be revised to ensure that it focuses on the country's cultural roots instead of fads.

The clip was produced by Dan Sai Municipality to promote the annual Phi Ta Khon or ghost-mask dance, which marks the time when ghosts followed Phra Vessantara, one of the Buddha's incarnations, out of the forest.

Sonthaya issued this statement on his first day at the Culture Ministry. He was given back the ministry portfolio now that he has completed his five-year political ban and his wife has been removed in the latest Cabinet reshuffle.

The "Gangnam Style" moves created by South Korean singer Psy have become so popular that even Loei Governor Sompong Arunrojpanya believed that ghost-mask dancers should use them to promote the festival. Loei's next Phi Ta Khon festival will be held on July 10-12 next year.

Santiparp Cheuboonmee, mayor of Dan Sai Municipality, said the clip also showed the province's tourist attractions. "Our culture is not hurt. I have done nothing wrong," he protested.

Bangkok resident Son Wattanaphan, 60, said modern dance moves would add more colour to the annual festival.

"I think the 'Gangnam Style' moves will help promote the festival at an international level," he said.

The Phi Ta Kon Gangnam Style video clip can be watched on YouTube and had been accessed more than 20,000 as of press time yesterday. Yet Sonthaya insisted yesterday that it was necessary for him to issue policies that would ensure that young people know their cultural roots.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-10

Personally I can't stand the Gangnam Garbage. I'll wave a red flag for you guys in the village.

Right up there with the short lived numa-numa dance?

680,376,106 views to date. That's about 10% of the population of the planet. w00t.gif

Have you uploaded any videos lately? biggrin.png

Glad I'm an individual amongst soooo many sheeple - would never even dream of searching it out or watching it. Far better things to do like blog on TV... LOL

Funny thing is the video will bring attention to the festival and bring in more visitors

I think people should learn to sit back relax and get the sticks out of their ARSenals

perhaps bringing attention and visitors is what they dreaded? look at how people destroy songkran

"People" destroy Songkhran?

Ever noticed how many Thais obviously enjoy the mayham?

My question: if a big number of Thai- people actually like to "celebrate" a traditional festival in a "new" way...how is that "destroying" it?

Ever notice how many residents do not enjoy the mayhem?

Ever noticed how many do?

Generation conflict, maybe?

We've just got back from Loei - we went to the museum with all the ghost festival stuff - and I have to say my 4 yr old LOVES the video

Joking aside the museum was not all that interesting (the festival looks great but the way it's presented in the museum is a bit dull) and this video could massively increase the number of kids/young people interested in it. Obviously they need to do it sensitively and not turn it into a big joke but they could certainly update it. I'm all for respecting culture and tradition but if young people aren't interested in their history it will die out anyway. And if they want the tourist cash the same applies.

I am scared of anything gang related too and will avoid the event and area forever!

Gangnam Style - nothing to do with gangs! biggrin.png

Gangnam - a place in Seoul, S. Korea, south of the river, very 'up market'. Hence Gangnam Style.