Hot Mustard

WilliaminBKK

I've been attempting to turn powdered mustard into something that resembles prepared Colmans or Keens.

What I've read and play around with is equal parts or a variation of

Dried Mustard - Colmans

Flour

Vinegar/Water

Sugar

Dash of salt

After it rests for 10 minutes it either blows my head off or tastes like flour. I'd like to use more for rubs and marinades.

Any tips or secrets ?

William

Basically its just the powder and water then add salt/sugar to your taste. I prefer to use just the powder and water but peoples tastes vary.

Edited to add:

If you are making a Rub then I guess you could add whatever you feel like, my instructions are for the unadulterated version that I have with roast pork and beef steaks

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

WilliamBKK

I have made, to my taste, excellent Mustard using similar ingredients to your recipe. I do not use flour nor water but everytime I "play around" with the amounts of Vinegar and Sugar to suit my taste of that day. Have you tried White or Malt Vinegar or even a dash of Balsamic?

• Like 1

The traditional English way is simply to add a little cold water to the powder, mix and leave to stand for 10 minutes for the flavour to develop.

Some people prefer to use milk rather than water as it gives a slightly milder result.

The thought of adding salt, sugar, vinegar &c. just isn't British. Not saying that that's not how Frogs and Yanks like it, though.

• Like 2

The traditional English way is simply to add a little cold water to the powder, mix and leave to stand for 10 minutes for the flavour to develop.

Some people prefer to use milk rather than water as it gives a slightly milder result.

The thought of adding salt, sugar, vinegar &c. just isn't British. Not saying that that's not how Frogs and Yanks like it, though.

Have to agree! The thought of adding all that to Colmans Mustard powder sounds revolting - and flour!?? sick.gifsick.gif

Just mix with water and leave it a while as AyG says - better still use whisky, seriously!

Patrick

• Like 1

Have to agree! The thought of adding all that to Colmans Mustard powder sounds revolting - and flour!?? sick.gifsick.gif

Just mix with water and leave it a while as AyG says - better still use whisky, seriously!

Patrick

i add a spoonfull of tesco light mayo,try it.
  • Like 1

Thank you all, I played around last night & was laughing at myself that I over complicated the recipe. The flour was so foolish on my part.

I did a whisky batch, a mayo batch, one with milk & one with balsamic - loved them all, then I did one with a few drops of Port. I can't decide which is my favourite yet, I made it so complicated when it really is so simple with all your suggestions-thanks again.

• Like 1

Thank you all, I played around last night & was laughing at myself that I over complicated the recipe. The flour was so foolish on my part.

I did a whisky batch, a mayo batch, one with milk & one with balsamic - loved them all, then I did one with a few drops of Port. I can't decide which is my favourite yet, I made it so complicated when it really is so simple with all your suggestions-thanks again.

MMMMMMMM I love Port and had never thought of trying that

Edited by RabC

The flour is commonly used, but not usually. When it is used, a roux (rue) isn't used, but rather flour is slowly added to cold water and whisked lump-free. About 1 part flour to 1.5 parts water. When that is smooth, it is slowly added to the cooking mustard sauce, whisking, and then cooked until thickened. The same technique can and is used to make gravy, rather than making the roux the French way.

Common Mustard in the US like French's is called mustard, but hot mustards are a cult thing like BBQ sauce and everyone has the "best one." :)

Hot mustards vary regionally too just like BBQ sauce is sweeter in the South, commonly Memphis style, but it's tangier in Texas, but still always sweet and sour with vinegars and sweeteners.

My mom, who was from S. Missouri (Ozarks) made cooked hot mustard with flour, water, vinegar, mustard powder, a little red hot chile pepper and a little horseradish. My grandmother on the other family side made it without flour, and it was mainly hot with white vinegar and garlic juice. It wasn't cooked. There was no water, just the vinegar.

Off topic, in the Ozarks, it's common to brown some of the flour dry in a skillet to get a "browned" taste, especially when making gravy. They also do that to some of the cornmeal before making cornbread to get the most awesome tasting cornbread I've ever had. </off topic>

We are talking about Colemans English Mustard, not some kind of US enhanced gravy, which is the reason none of the English guys would put flour anywhere near it.

Why did I ever mention flour smile.png I was chatting with a cousin telling him to try whisky, I mentioned my OP the flour recipe - absolute silence I didn't dare say I often have lager with ice I'd be disowned.

• Like 1

We are talking about Colemans English Mustard, not some kind of US enhanced gravy, which is the reason none of the English guys would put flour anywhere near it.

Why did I ever mention flour smile.png I was chatting with a cousin telling him to try whisky, I mentioned my OP the flour recipe - absolute silence I didn't dare say I often have lager with ice I'd be disowned.

My Gran and mother always used flour. If the mustard was to be put in a pork and mustard pie before cooking then a rue was used. For general use some flour was cooked in the oven then added to a tins worth of mustard powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the English are widely renowned for their fine cuisine.

Our Mustard would kick your Mustards arse/ass.......clap2.gif

• Like 2

Yes, the English are widely renowned for their fine cuisine.

Our Mustard would kick your Mustards arse/ass.......clap2.gif

At the very least, it would remind them that they have one.

• Like 2