Thai Expectations High From Obama Trip

webfact

Thai expectations high from presidential trip

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The visit of US President Barack Obama next week will not only mark the 180th anniversary of diplomatic ties between Thailand and the United States, it will also bring up serious political and economic matters for discussion, officials said yesterday.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said Obama's visit would boost the Kingdom's standing in the international community. Thailand has been a long-time strategic partner of the US.

Among economic issues, upgrading Thailand's trade status and eliminating obstacles will be the two key topics up for discussion.

A senior official at the Commerce Ministry explained that Thai authorities had been trying hard to upgrade the country's status on the Special 301 Report of the Office of the US Trade Representative and that the president's visit would be the perfect time to show that efforts are being made to protect intellectual property (IP).

The US has been including Thailand in its Priority Watch List (PWL), which is the second-lowest ranking given to countries violating IP protection. Officials hope that Thailand will be moved up to the normal Watch List in April after languishing in the PWL category for five years. Thailand will tell Washington about progress in endorsing two laws related to protection of IP rights.

It will also call on the US to lower its stringent trade barriers and increase fairness for facilitating trade and investment between the two nations.

Talks on Thailand's participation in the Washington-initiated Trans Pacific Partnership could also be on the table, the source said.

According to the US Embassy in Thailand, Obama will visit Thailand, Cambodia, and Myanmar in the Asean region from November 17-20.

This would be a historic official visit by a US president to those countries, reflecting his strong interest to the Asean region. Advance security teams from the US have already visited these countries to prepare the grounds for his visit.

Obama will meet with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to mark 180 years of diplomatic relations between Thailand and the US, to reaffirm as well as strengthen the alliance in various sectors, an official statement said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-10

This could be bad news for all TVG members who enjoy downloading their favorite TV shows, sports and movies. Does this mean Thailand will ratchet up IP protection crackdowns now as a result of this visit? I doubt it. That is not one of the most important parts of the visit. There are much larger issues at stake.

• Like 1

"... Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said Obama's visit would boost the Kingdom's standing in the international community"

You can just see these fools in Govt dribbling in anticipation over some face saving free PR to spin.

Edited by asiawatcher

He is visiting to have a quiet word with the Thai authorities about ending the ongoing Jet Ski scams against US citizens. The US gov really looks out for its fellow countrymen abroad. Ha!

Actually I believe its more about looking presidential and lining up buds in the show down over the Sprately Islands. China offers loans for tablets? Cool, O will slap a few backs and play some golf with the Hi Sos. "In my office I have a signed photo of the president and me. Do you have one of these?"

Well punk do you? smile.png

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 1

I think nothing positive about this Obama visit at all. Just a wast of the Thai peoples time and waste of US tax payers money

Obama is addicted to AF-1. This is a long distance trip with plenty of time to relax in his corporate jet.

And Yingluck will no doubt get a bow out of Obama.. cheesy.gif

• Like 2

As an American who has worked in five different countries and becoming more aware of international events, I feel the visit of President Obama is a positive gesture to the countries of South-East Asia. The USA needs to show that these countries are not being ignored or considered not important. Will his visit make any big differences to business? NO. But it is the symbolism that counts. China already has their financial influence in the developing countries of South East Asia. (If you live in Thailand, you know what I mean.) The West needs to pay attention to Asia since presently it is the growing world economy. If Romney was president, all he would want to do is bad mouth China, Russia, and Iran as if he was back in the 1960's and 70's. The world needs to put more energy in diplomatic discussion than bombs.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

I think nothing positive about this Obama visit at all. Just a wast of the Thai peoples time and waste of US tax payers money

Obama is addicted to AF-1. This is a long distance trip with plenty of time to relax in his corporate jet.

And Yingluck will no doubt get a bow out of Obama.. cheesy.gif

Actually it's a flying office with worldwide communications and plenty of work being done.

As an American who has worked in five different countries and becoming more aware of international events, I feel the visit of President Obama is a positive gesture to the countries of South-East Asia. The USA needs to show that these countries are not being ignored or considered not important. Will his visit make any big differences to business? NO. But it is the symbolism that counts. China already has their financial influence in the developing countries of South East Asia. (If you live in Thailand, you know what I mean.) The West needs to pay attention to Asia since presently it is the growing world economy. If Romney was president, all he would want to do is bad mouth China, Russia, and Iran as if he was back in the 1960's and 70's. The world needs to put more energy in diplomatic discussion than bombs.

Maybe he could take tea with the President of Iran while he's out and about
  • Like 1

He is visiting to have a quiet word with the Thai authorities about ending the ongoing Jet Ski scams against US citizens. The US gov really looks out for its fellow countrymen abroad. Ha!

Actually I believe its more about looking presidential and lining up buds in the show down over the Sprately Islands. China offers loans for tablets? Cool, O will slap a few backs and play some golf with the Hi Sos. "In my office I have a signed photo of the president and me. Do you have one of these?"

Well punk do you? smile.png

The most memorable event and high point in PM Banharn's illustrious career was the photo-op with then President George H.W. Bush. Of course his reference to Queen Elizabeth Taylor is still in the top 5 wink.png

And the appropiate gifts which Thailand should hand him are:

A nice big box of Pirated Software of American Movies, Music, and Microsoft Windows, and I am sure there must be

Windows 8 Pirated Software already on display at Phantip Plaza and various other stands and stalls along the main

drags.

A tour of Soi Cowboy, Nana, Patpong to a very nice show of ottSexy Nude Women, shooting darts out of their vagina cavities

popping baloons; This Definetly a Must Thing!giggle.gif

Edited by jerrysteve
  • Like 1

Well, speak for yourself--I guess you were. I am an American, and I think it's just about the greatest idea in the world for Obama to visit SE Asia! I also think it is a perfect thing for the United States citizens to spend their tax dollars on. How about you pretend I paid for the whole thing with my tax money, and you can spend your tax money on Pabst Blue Ribbon?

• Like 1

Great for Thailand that Obama is coming here of course. Cambodia will be happy too.

But the real focus of the trip from the US viewpoint is Myanmar.

Spot on! Thailand is a mere stopover so Mr Obama can go and touch up Burma's oil people now it's OK to like Burma again...

Absolutely correct. Obama has been in office for 4 years now, and it's his first visit to Thailand. This is just a courtesy call. His main objective is to negotiate favorable terms with the Burmese regarding international trade, and their vast natural resources.

I think that the Thai government is fooling themselves if they think there is going to be any progress with US - Thai trade. Thailand is one of the worlds most protectionist countries. Import taxes on American products are as much as 100%.

Why would the U.S agree to give Thailand any concessions, especially at a time when the U.S is getting tough on unfair trade practices. I think the meeting between Yingluck and Obama is going to consist of Obama telling Thailand that if they don't open up their economy, and eliminate the ridiculous tariffs on U.S. products, then their status will be even further downgraded.

• Like 2