Phuket Hoteliers Claim Paris Hilton Party Sparks Bt8Mn In Room Cancellations

webfact

Phuket hoteliers claim Paris Hilton party sparks B8mn in room cancellations

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpeg

Hoteliers along Surin Beach (pictured) claim that news of the mega new year party has already cost them 8 million baht in room cancellations. Photo: AbovePhuket.com

p2.jpeg

Supacheep Wanchai of the official party organizer Sydnictive Element promised to keep the noise down and to provide more than 2,000 personnel to provide security. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The hoteliers of eight resorts who have appealed to the Phuket Governor to not approve the huge Sydictive new year party at Surin Beach have claimed that just the announcement of the event by global celebrity Paris Hilton has already cost the resorts 8 million baht in room cancellations.

Among the hoteliers chief concerns are the level of noise the two-day dance party will create and the impact of the expected 50,000 revellers in the small beachside resort area.

Twinpalms Phuket Resort Executive Manager Somjai Tungkoo told Governor Maitri Inthusut at a meeting on Tuesday that the “peaceful” surroundings of Surin Beach were a critical marketing point for the resorts in the area, and that hosting the party was already jeopardizing high-season bookings.

“Tourists have cancelled their room bookings after they realized that this event will be held at Surin Beach,” she said.

“Each hotel [of the eight protesting the party] has suffered room cancellations valued at about one million baht,” Ms Somjai added.

“This event will affect us not only for this year, but also for the years to come. We think that it is not necessary to hold such big events here,” she added.

A representative of The Chava Resort agreed. “Many guests have asked about this issue. Some have cancelled their rooms already,” he added.

The representative suggested that the organizers hold the event during the tourism low season, as it might help boost tourism during that time of year.

Ms Somjai also pointed out that no hotels in the area were notified that such a big event was being organized.

“There are small new year parties on the beach every year, but the hotels are notified of them in advance. We still have not been formally notified of this event,” she said.

However, Supacheep Wanchai, director Sydictive Element, said they will keep the noise down and employ thousands of security staff to make sure the revellers do not disturb the neighbors.

“This event will start at 3pm on December 30 and continue through to 6am on January 1… We expect more than 50,000 people will join this event, including the international celebrity Paris Hilton and 14 world-famous DJs. We will also hire 4,000 staff,” Mr Supacheep said.

The event will feature a floating stage 70 meters long and 20m wide, with a firework show each night, he added.

Mr Supacheep said that the noise will be kept below 100 decibels.

“We will use local vendors for sourcing all the food for welcoming guests to the party and we will coordinate with local bus, van and taxi operators.

“There will be about 2,000 security personnel to make sure there is no trouble and we will conduct searches to make sure that no drugs or weapons are anywhere near the party,” he said.

“Surin Beach is a suitable location for this,” he added.

Gov Maitri ordered the event organizer and the hotel representatives to meet again to try to resolve the issue.

“I believe that every problem has a solution, and in organizing any public event we should be wary of how it will affect local people,” Gov Maitri said.

“As this event seems to have not been discussed with the relevant local authorities, different opinions have not been taken into consideration before moving ahead with arrangements. There should be further discussion and an attempt to brainstorm solutions to the potential problems before we move ahead,” he added.

In the meantime, Phuket Marine Office chief Phuripat Theerakulpisut must approve the event before it can be held.

“For now, the Phuket Marine Office has no intention of approving construction of the event’s floating stage or any other structures on the beach until all parties are in agreement and the Thalang District Office has approved the use of the public area,” he said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ions-19391.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-10

whats the fuzz so those 8 resorts have like 1000 rooms each that they rent out for 1000 per night ?

more likely that only a small number of rooms get cancelled and they gonna skyrocket the rent for the party crowd anyway if the wanna be at that party they gonna pay alot to be close to it

for years and years complaining and trying to get a good event that will attract international attention now they have one can complain about that

by the way new years period the whole island is like a big psytrance party with sometimes 3 partys at the same beach simultaneously

• Like 2

this is <deleted> hilarious,

all those people spending money,employing thousands of locals and pumping knows how much money into the economy and these greedy little men are grubbing for a bribe in order to ALLOW it to go on.

what a bunch of shitrats.

Amazing Thailand strikes again!.

Maybe their buddies in the Jetski/Taxi Mafia's will cut them in on the profits if Paris and her mates get ripped off enough?.

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 2

I completely agree with the hoteliers on this one. Not only is having a party on New Years Eve completely unheard of, it's insane.

I'm assuming this was a little sarcasm? The money the Paris Hilton New Years Eve party would bring in, would set the hoteliers for the rest of 2013. When word gets out about this party, every body and his cousin will wanting to be staying in a hotel close by.

QUOTE "The representative suggested that the organizers hold the event during the tourism low season, as it might help boost tourism during that time of year."

That's a brilliant idea even by the standards shown in Thai tourism matters. Let's hold our New Years' Eve party in the middle of the year. Durh.

Also, she wants to have a stage on the water, can you imagine during surf season?

Maybe her air headed sister (Thai PM) can quell the noise, she and all the other pollies will be there. As I have said on previous posts, we don't need members bagging one other the Thais are doing just fine.

Send the idiot an invite and a brown bag and he will shut up.

whats the fuzz so those 8 resorts have like 1000 rooms each that they rent out for 1000 per night ?

more likely that only a small number of rooms get cancelled and they gonna skyrocket the rent for the party crowd anyway if the wanna be at that party they gonna pay alot to be close to it

for years and years complaining and trying to get a good event that will attract international attention now they have one can complain about that

by the way new years period the whole island is like a big psytrance party with sometimes 3 partys at the same beach simultaneously

Not the case at all.

Surin Beach is not a 1000 baht a night place. It has many high end hotels and luxury villas that can cost in the $1000's per night.

Why should a villa owner who paid $10 mil USD to buy his place or a guest renting a villa for $2,500 per night have to put up with this sex tape princess throwing some ridiculous rave?

There are plenty of other places that would be more suited.

Edited by BTM
  • Like 1

What exactly is the big draw of Paris Hilton ???

She don't sing...she don't dance...What does she do?

Yes she is a looker but plenty of darker skined ladies in Phuket to party with on New Years Eve...

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind paying her bar fine. I'm sure she can dance horizontal just fine.

Any other day of the year and this area would be sending a plane to pick her up for the party. I never seen a Chamber of Commerce that tries to stop a huge event from happening in their fair town, but I guess anything is possible. i can't imagine though that I would attend under any circumstances. Is there a Hiton Hotel in the area?

To the poster asking about a Hilton in the area, they have taken over the former Courtyard Marriott right there at Surin Beach, Doubletree by Hilton I think they are calling it.

Have to think that would be way subpar for the heiress though, probably at the Amanpuri when this thunderstruck idea popped into that pretty little head.

Edited by LivinginKata
quote removed

Surin Beach is not a 1000 baht a night place. It has many high end hotels and luxury villas that can cost in the $1000's per night.

I also think this is the key why the Surin hotels do not wish to have an loud mega event near them.

The people who select Surin are more likely to be from upper middle class or upper class. They tend to enjoy more quiet vacation, they are more likely to listen classical music instead of "hump-my-bum jiihaa jiihaa!" type of music. That's an generalization and naturally does not apply for all individuals.

These tourists with more money to spend are not willing to listen rave party music during their expensive vacation.

In case this party is done, Surin beach will get an reputation of being young and wild party beach, which will have an effect to the hotels for years to come.

"Will hire local vendors and bus/taxi/etc" man..im sure alot of the locals are looking to score the payday on NYE with a bunch of wannabe hi-so farangs--esp if they are paris hilton wannabes looking for drugs to dance all night(shrill loud girl scream)..i used to dj for the masses and its gonna be a

train wreck--how many dead from poison drugs/buckets/shroom shakes at this party--fresh off the plane and no sense of what really goes on with the young pretty hi-so's watch ur shit paris--"thats hot"