Fancy European Style Restaurant

mrireland

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a review for 'The House' 199 Moon Maung Road. I occasionally use it, never been disappointed.

This wonderful supper-only bistro was established by a resident Dane who immediately upped the culinary standards in Chiang Mai. Set in an old 1960s edifice that's been lovingly restored, the main dining room has large windows with gorgeous drapes, silk cushions, and candlelit tables; upstairs there are two rooms that are even cozier. An internationally trained Thai chef works his magic on a constantly evolving menu of regionally influenced classical dishes, a medley of grilled items and imported steaks, and lamb and seafood when available -- there are fabulous desserts to boot. For good value, order the four-course set dinner (with a free glass of wine) for 900B. Outside is a Moorish souk-styled lounge bar with lights in the trees, and a separate tapas bar for snacks. This refined dining spot, with its romantic nooks and funky furnishings, caters to the discerning traveler.

Trip Advisor link

Truthfully, I was totally distracted by how dark it was in the restaurant. I think that they gave us flashlights to read the menu the time I was there. I haven't been there in awhile so maybe that has changed. I did go back again to sit outside and have the "House Martini" again though... Delicious drink with passion fruit, pineapple, rum and I don't remember what else...

Agreed. I had a really hard time even reading the menu at The House because it was so dark which I always found frustrating.

IMO, their combinations of ingredients and flavors for fusion cuisine - which is what they mostly concentrated on when I used to go there - do not work very well, but if one sticks with something like a more traditional like a steak they will probably go away fairly happy and the house itself really is lovely.

Edited by Ulysses G.

The more Jungle Chef (appropriate name) tries to explain his original misleading posting, the more he discredits his "information." And he doesn't seem to want to identify this terrible place in which he kept throwing good money after bad and adding more and more insult to injury.. and his final, incredible bill. I'll skip his "reviews" from now on.

What's is misleading about anything I've posted? I don't believe anybody got insulted, not me for sure as I've explained what I am prepared to expect at these places, and for sure nobody got hurt as it was just a lunch date after all (in which we had an enjoyable afternoon). I've explained why I wrote what I have and have given a good idea of why I choose not to name and blame in this particular case. I've made my chooses and I respect yours too.

its quite obvious Junglechef has word blindness when the question asked where he ate.....and it has been asked at least 5 times....yet he talks about other places....who or what are you trying to protect......my guess at this stage is you are too ashamed because you took out a mortgage on an average meal.

Hi again, back not to defend myself as I have done no wrong nor am I ashamed if I choose to spend my money where and how I want. I have only been honest in all my posts incl. why I've responded to the post initially (to make the point, using a real life example, of why fine dining in this town may not be worth the trouble) and to the requests to identify the location (simply I chose not to for personal reasons). As for my taking out a mortgage to pay for the meal I'd also choose not reveal my personal finances. As an American I was brought up with freedom of speech and choice in many more important matters. My previous post was responding to Jaedom's comment that I was misleading and have discredited my own information by asking him how. Unlike myself he has not shown the manners to respond, at least not yet. I also must disagree with eyecatcher as I have breached the subject of of where this took place even if my response was not to his liking. I have misquoted numerous times that I have not brought up such as recently Cheesekraft mentioned a 4500 bht burger. I know many jest and hope that we all not being too serious and are enjoying this banter as much as me. Finally in your first response eye-catcher you said "it's almost (???) impossible to spend that here for 2 people". I am more than happy to make that a bet, I pick the place and we have a regular fine dining meal, 2 app, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, a glass of wine ea. for ea. course and coffee. If it is under 4500 bht inc. tax and tip I'll pay, if more you do. Do we have a date?

you have my thoughts Junglechef....it's an forum where people hate to be wrong and love a challenge just to get the bragging rights....rather silly as everyone here obviously is good at something...would be better if we just be able to share our expertise without being slammed into being wasteful (yawn) or just not living like the locals (yawn) ....everyone is different ...live and let live

I agree with you...it's easy to spend $4500 baht on a meal for 2 if you choose to especially if it's worth the quality. Many of the places suggested by the Vicar are worth a visit for those who enjoy the luxury of splurging from time to time...you just have to make it clear here we don't eat at these places every night .....hahaha if not the mudslinging of wasting money and local street stall comments will be out like artillery !

Hobart today and the KFC here is AUD$15 for a popcorn chicken meal...oh god...I wish I was back in CM ..

• Like 1

I'm surprised that someone who was prepared to pay 4500 baht for a meal was interested in ordering a burger. Doesn't seem like a "signature" dish for a restaurant in the price range.

As mentioned -- good burgers and other American style fare -- go to The Duke's -- the original one on the east side of the river, not the one in the Night Bazaar. Had lunch there yesterday -- fantastic caesar salad -- perhaps the best I've had in CM. I was concerned that it wouldn't fill me up, so I ordered a side of grilled shrimp skewers. When the salad arrived, I realized it was huge and would have been enough for lunch on it's own. But, those grilled shrimp sure were tasty, too! Total bill a little less than 300 baht.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew is great for European-style fare. Had dinner there yesterday evening and got a great chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach. Others in our party enjoyed the special of the day -- some sort of bacon-wrapped chicken breast and one got a great pasta dish. Total bill for four, with a bottle of wine and couple of beers -- 2000 baht.

In both places, the service was great and the atmosphere nice. Now if someone wants real elegance and a five-star atmosphere, you can't go wrong at the Chedi. Most of their menu items are well under 4500 baht and I certainly wouldn't order a burger there.

Gosh, after all this fine dining yesterday, maybe I should go swim some laps this afternoon!

Are you a shill for Khun Perm? He is a nice guy, but his cooking is very hit or miss. Maybe your experience with really good restaurants is lacking. Budget does make a difference! Anyway, the whole idea of ordering a hamburger in any restaurant other than the cholesterol champ, The Dukes,is really hilarious, but --- true --- great portions for the ravenous. Seem to mostly Americans!! Need a hamburger fix? Go to The Dukes!! Then go to your doctor!!

Okay, Dave! Over to you! Tell us about your salad menu !!!!!! Then tell us how much you make off salads for lunch compared to hamburgers!!

"Are you a shill for Khun Perm? He is a nice guy, but his cooking is very hit or miss. Maybe your experience with really good restaurants is lacking."

What an asinine and juvenile comment. At least three people on this thread have recommended Perns Restaurant. I suppose we are all just “shills” and you are the one and only true gastronomic authority in Chiang Mai. giggle.gif

Your comment sounds like some of those in discussions of the “Best Fish and Chips shop in Pattaya”. Where the proprietor of one shop gets his friends to talk up his shop and bad-mouth all the others. And then another set of friends of another proprietor does the same; and on and on.

• Like 1

Your comment sounds like some of those in discussions of the “Best Fish and Chips shop in Pattaya”. Where the proprietor of one shop gets his friends to talk up his shop and bad-mouth all the others. And then another set of friends of another proprietor does the same; and on and on.

Oh that happens here too. There have been many such situations here. But all the Fish and Chip shops that were a subject of the 'wars' have gone out of business so it didn't work.

you have my thoughts Junglechef....it's an forum where people hate to be wrong and love a challenge just to get the bragging rights....rather silly as everyone here obviously is good at something...would be better if we just be able to share our expertise without being slammed into being wasteful (yawn) or just not living like the locals (yawn) ....everyone is different ...live and let live

I agree with you...it's easy to spend $4500 baht on a meal for 2 if you choose to especially if it's worth the quality. Many of the places suggested by the Vicar are worth a visit for those who enjoy the luxury of splurging from time to time...you just have to make it clear here we don't eat at these places every night .....hahaha if not the mudslinging of wasting money and local street stall comments will be out like artillery !

Hobart today and the KFC here is AUD$15 for a popcorn chicken meal...oh god...I wish I was back in CM ..

+1

I agree. If a person wants to go to a "fancy" restaurant and spend 4500baht of their money for their meal, I don't have a problem with that. It's their money and their choice. For some reason, I don't see how that hurts me and I don't have an unquenchable craving to insult them about it! thumbsup.gif

Stop trying to defend the defencelesss.

at no point on this thread has anyone objected to how someone wants to spend their hard earned cash....but for the sheer disbelief at forking out 4500 for a burger and pasta...then he is open to sarcasm and his presence of mind.

if you scroll back Junglechef produced his first 2 posts, the first he described it as a burger and pasta and the next, enhanced it a little with blue cheese and something or other............it was his 3rd or 4th post before that burger became a full seafood gourmet with wine and coffee and after 8 mints no doubt.

he has hi jacked this thread for his own amusement, all along purposely avoiding to reveal where this outrageously priced "lunch"....yes lunch that most of us would find hard to stomach spending 200bt on..............

and still now we are no wiser...why...personal reasons.??? losing face with the owner?

so yes, no one is criticising your choice of restaurant, your choice of food or company, and how much you spent but your "tactical" and drip feed posting in my opinion is inciting reaction and sarcasm which is entirely justified.

Ah, well....

Not taking sides here at all, but the reason JC does not want to name the resto where he had the burger with the blue cheese on bottom, soggy bun, etc. is that he is aware (as all should be) that due to very harsh Thai laws regarding defamation (where the "truth" of the matter is not so important as the "loss of face" of the matter), he will wisely not name the restaurant.

It's perhaps not to the liking of some, but that is the way it is here.

Also, Thai Visa cannot allow this naming, because while the members get to hide behind the cloak of internet anonymity, Thai Visa forum does not enjoy that protection.

Someone slams a business (deserved or not)...and the aggrieved party goes after Thai Visa, and sues us for millions- we are in the hot seat, not the poster.

The other issue is that one person's trash is another person's treasure. It is all highly subjective what is excellent, good, decent or awful when reviewing anything.

Not to mean one cannot say "I went that new place next to Glass Onion on Nimman, and their breaded fried mozzarella sticks were soggy".

But saying "I went to Chez Mozzarella Stick at 16/1 Nimmanhaeminda- the resto is a ripoff, and their signature dish is a piece of ca-ca" is an obvious no-no.

I know this is very convoluted and complicated, and no doubt upsetting to some.

But it is not Thai Visa forum- it is the nature of Thai laws that we have to abide by, that is all.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

wink.png

• Like 2

Ah, well....

Not taking sides here at all, but the reason JC does not want to name the resto where he had the burger with the blue cheese on bottom, soggy bun, etc. is that he is aware (as all should be) that due to very harsh Thai laws regarding defamation (where the "truth" of the matter is not so important as the "loss of face" of the matter), he will wisely not name the restaurant.

Also, Thai Visa cannot allow this naming, because while the members get to hide behind the cloak of internet anonymity, Thai Visa forum does not enjoy that protection.

Someone slams a business (deserved or not)...and the aggrieved party goes after Thai Visa, and sues us for millions- we are in the hot seat, not the poster.

The other issue is that one person's trash is another person's treasure. It is all highly subjective what is excellent, good, decent or awful when reviewing anything.

Not to mean one cannot say "I went that new place next to Glass Onion on Nimman, and their breaded fried mozzarella sticks were soggy".

But saying "I went to Chez Mozzarella Stick at 16/1 Nimmanhaeminda- the resto is a ripoff, and their signature dish is a piece of ca-ca" is an obvious no-no.

But it is not Thai Visa forum- it is the nature of Thai laws that we have to abide by, that is all.

wink.png

So "Chez Mozzarella Stick " is where JC had his burger? whistling.gif

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments and I do apologize, and accept all the sincere apologies I have since received, if I did hijack this thread. Seems like it was mutual as I feel like I paid a king's ransom in emotional distress (I am the very sensitive type) for expressing my thoughts but actually not any money as I was a guest (but the facts don't change as I always said the check was over 4500 bht) which is why I choose not to name names. Next time I even think of going out to eat, or perhaps even leave my house, I'll be sure to post an invite for all to join so everyone can witness the event for variocity and we can enjoy each other company some more in person.

Ah, well....

wink.png

So "Chez Mozzarella Stick " is where JC had his burger? whistling.gif

actually no; 16/1 Nimmen is a laundry...........and that explains why he has a soggy bottom

it will all come out in the wash

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that someone who was prepared to pay 4500 baht for a meal was interested in ordering a burger. Doesn't seem like a "signature" dish for a restaurant in the price range.

As mentioned -- good burgers and other American style fare -- go to The Duke's -- the original one on the east side of the river, not the one in the Night Bazaar. Had lunch there yesterday -- fantastic caesar salad -- perhaps the best I've had in CM. I was concerned that it wouldn't fill me up, so I ordered a side of grilled shrimp skewers. When the salad arrived, I realized it was huge and would have been enough for lunch on it's own. But, those grilled shrimp sure were tasty, too! Total bill a little less than 300 baht.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew is great for European-style fare. Had dinner there yesterday evening and got a great chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach. Others in our party enjoyed the special of the day -- some sort of bacon-wrapped chicken breast and one got a great pasta dish. Total bill for four, with a bottle of wine and couple of beers -- 2000 baht.

In both places, the service was great and the atmosphere nice. Now if someone wants real elegance and a five-star atmosphere, you can't go wrong at the Chedi. Most of their menu items are well under 4500 baht and I certainly wouldn't order a burger there.

Gosh, after all this fine dining yesterday, maybe I should go swim some laps this afternoon!

Are you a shill for Khun Perm? He is a nice guy, but his cooking is very hit or miss. Maybe your experience with really good restaurants is lacking. Budget does make a difference! Anyway, the whole idea of ordering a hamburger in any restaurant other than the cholesterol champ, The Dukes,is really hilarious, but --- true --- great portions for the ravenous. Seem to mostly Americans!! Need a hamburger fix? Go to The Dukes!! Then go to your doctor!!

Okay, Dave! Over to you! Tell us about your salad menu !!!!!! Then tell us how much you make off salads for lunch compared to hamburgers!!

"Are you a shill for Khun Perm? He is a nice guy, but his cooking is very hit or miss. Maybe your experience with really good restaurants is lacking."

What an asinine and juvenile comment. At least three people on this thread have recommended Perns Restaurant. I suppose we are all just “shills” and you are the one and only true gastronomic authority in Chiang Mai. giggle.gif

Went to Pern's recently on a weekday night and found it to be a very progressive place. It was conspicuous though that the clientele was almost entirely 60+ yrs old and male (not that there's anything wrong with that). The food was good.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Went to Pern's recently on a weekday night and found it to be a very progressive place. It was conspicuous though that the clientele was almost entirely 60+ yrs old and male (not that there's anything wrong with that). The food was good.

is that the place that has been there for quite some time now under a few different names? I think one name was Supasteak or something. then it was called some wine bar or something. yes the food is very good there. same owner i imagine? yes i noticed the clientele being 90% older gay men. not that it bothers me either except one time while dining when they were openly talking loudly about young hilltribe boys they were shagging. that was a turn off. haven't been back.

is that the place that has been there for quite some time now under a few different names? I think one name was Supasteak or something. then it was called some wine bar or something. yes the food is very good there. same owner i imagine? yes i noticed the clientele being 90% older gay men. not that it bothers me either except one time while dining when they were openly talking loudly about young hilltribe boys they were shagging. that was a turn off. haven't been back.

I think that the owner said that they had been in business for almost 2 years, don't know if they might have had some name changes along the way. And we didn't hear or see any inappropriate behavior there, just noticed that conspicuously few of the customers and staff were female.

Oh dear! Yes, Pern's does attract some older male diners who may have younger male friends, but I've never noticed this sort of discussion. I imagine a quick trip to the bar and word with Brian, the owner, who oftens supervises near the bar, would have put an end to that public display. He's done the same for me when I don't like sitting next to rowdy, young, vocabulary-challenged tourists who use the "F-word" as an adjective, noun, verb, adjective and adverb. (I'd love to hear it used as a preposition, though, just for the novelty.)

This is for all you gourmets in search of a five-star experience!

If you want five-star treatment, do you dress and conduct yourself like you expect five star treatment. By that, I mean -- do you wear a shirt with buttons and a collar? Do your pants/shorts have visible pockets? Have you showered in the past two hours? Do the local (Thai) friends you bring with you look like people you've known for a while?

Remember the old saying about you get what your you give.

this is no place for international cuisine.

they dont have the ovens/equipment to cook fine european food here.

thats why i cant get a real pizza even after trying the expensive italian places. no pizza oven. they cook the pizza in a miniature toaster oven. even wonder why the pizzas are so small 12". its because they dont have a pizza oven. so it does not get hot enough and you get a wafer thin crisp crust and a runny top. looks good i suppose, if you dont know what a real pizza is.

its still an expensive pizza however. the price goes up, not down. quality of food does not matter much. same principal applies to pasta.

shall i rave about the great western breakfasts like so many do? nope, i get runs at the border.

whats up with people liking these nasty breakfasts with pieces of hotdog? not sure about that one lol.

learn to like thai.

Edited by jacktrip
  • Like 1

thats why i cant get a real pizza even after trying the expensive italian places. no pizza oven. they cook the pizza in a miniature toaster oven. even wonder why the pizzas are so small 12". its because they dont have a pizza oven. so it does not get hot enough and you get a wafer thin crisp crust and a runny top. looks good i suppose, if you dont know what a real pizza is.

its still an expensive pizza however. the price goes up, not down. quality of food does not matter much. same principal applies to pasta.

That's not true. Many places have pizza ovens, including the Dukes. The pizza ovens are not so unique that they only have them in Europe. It is true that it is difficult to get a good pizza here but not because of the oven.

That's not true. Many places have pizza ovens, including the Dukes. The pizza ovens are not so unique that they only have them in Europe. It is true that it is difficult to get a good pizza here but not because of the oven.

Yes there are pizza ovens in Chiang Mai but I've yet to see one that is on before the restaurant is opened and stays on thru the day. All the ones that I have seen are powered up as required. (To save power or gas) Not ideal for cooking pizza the way it should be.

I believe that one is often treated in accordance to how one presents oneself. Good manners, proper attire and hygiene and especially ones conduct may get you correspondingly respect but now days it is acceptable to wear jeans in all but the most formal establishments (which may not always be the best as well). This was made possible by the rich and famous, often movie and rock stars, making it hip and obviously they were not turned away from the finest places and even on some occasions the fabulously wealthy buying the best hotels so they could wear whatever they wanted. But not only is life more causal now, just look how people dress to fly, but the ones who are doing the serving must not only recognize but also know how to act likewise. On the occasion of my, what was it a 100,000 bht salad?, I've posted about earlier in this thread, we were dressed as NancyL describes, even took the family jewels out of the safety box, and I found that we were were overdressed, something that I have not often found myself in similar class places. I use to go by the adage that I'd rather be than underdressed but in Thailand I find it can be even more inappropriate and bordering on pretenious. This is not to say we didn't have a lovely time, as Lawrenechee points out, but I could have saved some time by not fastening my cumberband and tying my bow tie.

Thanks guys, i was hoping for a couple of recommendations but i got way more and some great in depth answers. I tried Le Crystal, i don't really have anything to compare it against and ive never done fine dining before but the service was amazing, went with a set menu cant remember the price but i think it was in the 1800-2400 range per person, one was with a glass of champagne and 2 glasses of wine.

Some of the stuff i wasnt crazy about but that was more because i was trying something i didnt even know what it was, like the black truffle soup, came in a tiny tea cup, just not my thing but everything else was beautiful. Fois Gras was one of the things on the set menu and i believe that can be expensive, not sure if i love the texture but it was tasty, hadnt a clue what i was eating until i googled it after. hell i had trouble figuring out if i should drink the soup like a drink or use a tiny spoon as they were served in a martini glass and a tiny tea cup, well out of my depth lol but nice experience.

Its probably pretty standard in these types of places but it felt like everytime i wanted something they were there immediately, everytime i finished a course the time waiting for the next course was only minutes, which was great because all the portions were small so i was never too full until i got to the final dessert, the sorbet the amouche bouche or whatever you call it are a nice touch to break up the courses and after the dessert they done like an assortment of mini cakes. Spoiled i tell ya.

What do you guys normally tip at these places, i possibly well overtipped at 10%, im not sure if there was a service charge but they actually charged less than what the set menu was advertised and everything was so nice. I normally just tip 20-40 baht at a standard cafe/restaurant but had no idea what to tip in this scenario.

• Like 2

I come from a place where if I spend $80 dollars per person in a restaurant, I can be pretty sure that I am going to like it a lot, even if it is something a little unusual like a dish with truffles or Fois Gras. I am a lot more concerned about food than service and every time that I have tried an expensive restaurant of this type in Thailand I have been disappointed and felt like I just wasted the cash. After a number of bad experiences over the years, I prefer to stick with good medium priced places Like Marco's, the Duke's and La Forchette, where I am fairly certain that I will be satisfied for the money spent, but to each his own.

Thanks guys, i was hoping for a couple of recommendations but i got way more and some great in depth answers. I tried Le Crystal, i don't really have anything to compare it against and ive never done fine dining before but the service was amazing, went with a set menu cant remember the price but i think it was in the 1800-2400 range per person, one was with a glass of champagne and 2 glasses of wine.

Some of the stuff i wasnt crazy about but that was more because i was trying something i didnt even know what it was, like the black truffle soup, came in a tiny tea cup, just not my thing but everything else was beautiful. Fois Gras was one of the things on the set menu and i believe that can be expensive, not sure if i love the texture but it was tasty, hadnt a clue what i was eating until i googled it after. hell i had trouble figuring out if i should drink the soup like a drink or use a tiny spoon as they were served in a martini glass and a tiny tea cup, well out of my depth lol but nice experience.

Its probably pretty standard in these types of places but it felt like everytime i wanted something they were there immediately, everytime i finished a course the time waiting for the next course was only minutes, which was great because all the portions were small so i was never too full until i got to the final dessert, the sorbet the amouche bouche or whatever you call it are a nice touch to break up the courses and after the dessert they done like an assortment of mini cakes. Spoiled i tell ya.

What do you guys normally tip at these places, i possibly well overtipped at 10%, im not sure if there was a service charge but they actually charged less than what the set menu was advertised and everything was so nice. I normally just tip 20-40 baht at a standard cafe/restaurant but had no idea what to tip in this scenario.

I, also, think that 10% is a good tip if no service was added.

Thanks for the feedback. Your description of your soup experience brings to mind my trying to eat escargot (snails) at a nice restaurant. They had given me a tool which was good at grasping the snails so you can use the fork to get them out, but I'm a bit on the clumsy side and I kind of missed and one snail got away from me. I laughed, but maybe they weren't so happy with me because they had to get that white tablecloth clean!

So now that you went there, would you consider going to the "World Buffet" that someone else mentioned that they have once a month for 1200 baht? Le Crystal's website says that this month's is tomorrow (24th).

Edited by just_Elaine