Fancy European Style Restaurant

mrireland

Hi,

Is there anywhere in chiang mai with fancy european/US type food? Im not really a foodie so i havent been to expensive restaurants but i wouldnt mind spoiling myself, maybe its from watching too much hells kitchen/masterhef etc but i have never really ventured into trying anything and im a bit curious as the dishes look sexy, any recommendations, i tried googling but i dont even know the correct term, fine dining, michelin dining etc didnt turn up anything great so if anyone knows somewhere for a special treat let me know and ill give it a try.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree though I have had some decent meals that were pricey, usually Italian, more expensive does not translate to better here most often. Just yesterday took my GF for lunch which incl. a burger and a pasta with salad, which were all not very good, and it cost over 4,500.00 bht. Think there is a reason your search didn't turn up anything!

Edited by junglechef

I agree though I have had some decent meals that were pricey, usually Italian, more expensive does not translate to better here most often. Just yesterday took my GF for lunch which incl. a burger and a pasta with salad, which were all not very good, and it cost over 4,500.00 bht. Think there is a reason your search didn't turn up anything!

Sounds like you got taken to the cleaners IMHO.

4500 . . . is that a wagyu or foie gras burger with caviar as a side? blink.png

No just a regular burger which was overcooked with blue cheese that was put on the bottom of the bun w/shredded lettuce and thinly sliced tomato which all turned into a liquified mess once the heat and juices from the burger melted and wilted it all and in turn made the bun, which was already buttered, soggy to the point that it couldn't hold the weight of the patty. This is why I said that it's not worth eating hi-so here. But I also think one needs all the fact to say that I was ripped off, or taken to the cleaners, which I have not gotten into.

Yes, me thinking same same. Unless someone knows different its almost (???)impossible to spend that here for 2 persons.

There are a lot of restaurants out there with small pretentious portions of food that come at a hefty price.

If you are not prepared to accept a 4 digit number when the "bin" is brought to you, then I suggest you stay away from so called swanky restaurants.

There are some excellent "all you can eat" buffet restaurants around town and often in the top hotels and if you can take your nose out of the clouds, the cook yourself BBQs are a great experience, and great value.... dont always think they serve only cheap, poor quality, bad tasting food ( but I agree there are many)

Many places will do freshly cooked dishes as you order; well most really and whilst we all eat to different budgets I personally have never had a "bin" for 4 people over 2000bt inc drinks at a so called expensive place.

...and I still walk out rubbing my belly like santa claus.

No just a regular burger which was overcooked with blue cheese that was put on the bottom of the bun w/shredded lettuce and thinly sliced tomato which all turned into a liquified mess once the heat and juices from the burger melted and wilted it all and in turn made the bun, which was already buttered, soggy to the point that it couldn't hold the weight of the patty. This is why I said that it's not worth eating hi-so here. But I also think one needs all the fact to say that I was ripped off, or taken to the cleaners, which I have not gotten into.

Thats a politicians waffle reply!!!

spell it out, what did you get for the price of a months rent in a hotel.....and where was it......everyone needs to know now

I'm going out on a limb here so I can get my butt kicked. The only European food I like is Italian. Leave the main gate of the Vatican and walk right down the street that heads out. Stay on the left side of the street and go about two blocks until you see an unpretentious set of stairs going down into the basement of a building. It says restaurant. That's real food. England? hahaha. France? I guess, if you like it which I don't. Spain? hahaha.

Good Western food is American. Deep South with catfish and hush puppies, N'awlins with the Cajun food, or out West including Texas for beef, BBQ, and seafood on all coasts. They do bring good food into the big cities but it's from the areas I mentioned.

4500 B for two hamburgers? Can't imagine it. I can get real hickory smoked (smoked on premises) pork ribs with all the trimmin's here for US $20 a plate.

Flame on...

Yes, me thinking same same. Unless someone knows different its almost (???)impossible to spend that here for 2 persons.

There are a lot of restaurants out there with small pretentious portions of food that come at a hefty price.

If you are not prepared to accept a 4 digit number when the "bin" is brought to you, then I suggest you stay away from so called swanky restaurants.

There are some excellent "all you can eat" buffet restaurants around town and often in the top hotels and if you can take your nose out of the clouds, the cook yourself BBQs are a great experience, and great value.... dont always think they serve only cheap, poor quality, bad tasting food ( but I agree there are many)

Many places will do freshly cooked dishes as you order; well most really and whilst we all eat to different budgets I personally have never had a "bin" for 4 people over 2000bt inc drinks at a so called expensive place.

??? I just said it did. It did incl. one glass of wine (400 bht), one coffee, two desserts and an app of soft shell crab which was inedible. The ONE small crab, as they should be, was cut up into four pieces and beer battered (like fish and chips) so ea. leg was 6" long and 1" wide so the tiny soft leg meat could not even be tasted and barely even seen never the less the batter was raw in places. And should I get into the poor excuse for a pasta dish? Ok since you asked (555), Scallops w/lasagne noodles and shrimp bisque. Nice number of large seared sea scallops, good start, with TWO pieces of pasta that were 4" by 2" ea. w/the bisque as the broth. I understand the fine dinning concept of "nouvell cuisine" with small portions, beautifully displayed, which is wasn't, and all the components working in a harmony of flavors and textures etc. But how is soup suppose to coat a flat noodle? So no flavor adhered to the pasta and the scallops just got wet and lost their nice texture from the searing. This is what one is paying for when dining at gourmet restaurants and one must appreciate such to feel he or she has gotten their monies worth.

Edited by junglechef

tongue.pngtongue.png

spell it out, what did you get for the price of a months rent in a hotel.....and where was it......everyone needs to know now

Vote for me (but don't tell me what to do and when to do it but I would love to know what hotel costs 150 bht a day) But seriously I think I've made my point of why I feel it's not really in ones best interest to seek out fine dining in our fair town.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

??? I just said it did. It did incl. one glass of wine (400 bht), one coffee, two desserts and an app of soft shell crab which was inedible. The ONE small crab, as they should be, was cut up into four pieces and beer battered (like fish and chips) so ea. leg was 6" long and 1" wide so the tiny soft leg meat could not even be tasted and barely even seen never the less the batter was raw in places. And should I get into the poor excuse for a pasta dish? Ok since you asked (555), Scallops w/lasagne noodles and shrimp bisque. Nice number of large seared sea scallops, good start, with TWO pieces of pasta that were 4" by 2" ea. w/the bisque as the broth. I understand the fine dinning concept of "nouvell cuisine" with small portions, beautifully displayed, which is wasn't, and all the components working in a harmony of flavors and textures etc. But how is soup suppose to coat a flat noodle? So no flavor adhered to the pasta and the scallops just got wet and lost their nice texture from the searing. This is what one is paying for when dining at gourmet restaurants and one must appreciate such to feel he or she has gotten their monies worth.

And the restaurant was .... ?

• Like 1

Sounds like you got taken to the cleaners IMHO.

At that price he could have driven to Bangkok stayed over night ang got a not very good hamburger at McDonalds.

Since the OP used the term "fancy european/US type food" it would be amiss to not include the Dukes in the recommendations. European? Certainly not. But "US type food" -- yes indeed.

Dukes had crossed my mind but It is more run of the mill entrees at a very good price and made in a clean atmosphere with quality ingredients.

But when I hear "fancy european/US type food" I think of meals that would include caviar or other more expensive items.

Perhaps including rare mushrooms or other more rare items of food.

Just my opinion.

I just read junglechef break down on the meal. I still think even if the food had been costly that was a bit high.

My original comment was I thought in all fairness he could have had a bottle or two of a very expensive wine along with a pasta and a hamburger.

For a hamburger with Blue Cheese I like Dukes Joe's famous. All though I would like a bit more blue cheese on it.

Edited by hellodolly

I'm surprised that someone who was prepared to pay 4500 baht for a meal was interested in ordering a burger. Doesn't seem like a "signature" dish for a restaurant in the price range.

As mentioned -- good burgers and other American style fare -- go to The Duke's -- the original one on the east side of the river, not the one in the Night Bazaar. Had lunch there yesterday -- fantastic caesar salad -- perhaps the best I've had in CM. I was concerned that it wouldn't fill me up, so I ordered a side of grilled shrimp skewers. When the salad arrived, I realized it was huge and would have been enough for lunch on it's own. But, those grilled shrimp sure were tasty, too! Total bill a little less than 300 baht.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew is great for European-style fare. Had dinner there yesterday evening and got a great chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach. Others in our party enjoyed the special of the day -- some sort of bacon-wrapped chicken breast and one got a great pasta dish. Total bill for four, with a bottle of wine and couple of beers -- 2000 baht.

In both places, the service was great and the atmosphere nice. Now if someone wants real elegance and a five-star atmosphere, you can't go wrong at the Chedi. Most of their menu items are well under 4500 baht and I certainly wouldn't order a burger there.

Gosh, after all this fine dining yesterday, maybe I should go swim some laps this afternoon!

Edited by NancyL

There are many good Western style restaurants which serve fancy cuisine in CM. Examples include: La Fourchette, Cafe Mini, Lapin, La Terrasse, in addition to Chez Marco. Dukes does not fall into this category---whether you like their food or not, it is not "fancy".

However the place I would strongly recommend for a treat is the monthly World Buffet at Le Crystal. It has everything from an extraordinary range of really fine food to great ambience and service---it feels like fine dining in a fancy restaurant. This month it is on Sat 24th. The cost is 1200B---a real bargain for the quality. With free flow wine I think just add an extra 600B

There are many good Western style restaurants which serve fancy cuisine in CM. Examples include: La Fourchette, Cafe Mini, Lapin, La Terrasse, in addition to Chez Marco. Dukes does not fall into this category---whether you like their food or not, it is not "fancy".

However the place I would strongly recommend for a treat is the monthly World Buffet at Le Crystal. It has everything from an extraordinary range of really fine food to great ambience and service---it feels like fine dining in a fancy restaurant. This month it is on Sat 24th. The cost is 1200B---a real bargain for the quality. With free flow wine I think just add an extra 600B

Just to save me googling, is Le Crystal in a hotel or standalone?

Scratch that, I found it very easily, thanks for the tip.

Will try on my next visit.

http://www.lecrystalrestaurant.com/en/

Edited by Chicog

But there are quite a lot of "high so" Western places in Chiang Mai where the damage comes out on order of 500 Baht per head or less. 4500 for burgers for two doesn't add up; maybe some 5 star hotels will nick you for that much but those places aren't representative of the Chiang Mai food scene as a whole.

Have to agree with you Nancy, the only reason I ordered a burger was that everything else we had before hand wasn't satisfactory and it was almost 2 hrs. into the meal and I was starving so I went for something I thought was safer and more filling. We were ordering and sharing as we went. First a hot app came with a caesar salad which was room temp (in an outside restaurant in Thailand that's hot for such a dish), wilted, soggy and the dressing had broken (meaning the emulsification had denatured which makes it turn into a watery state), because I imagine they started it at the same time and it sat in the hot kitchen for twenty min. Since the app was not the one we ordered we shared the salad and waited another 30 min for the inedible crab dish. Then 20 min more two strands of pasta came and since I'm went for a bike ride in the morning in anticipation of a great meal by then just wanted to be fed. The entrees weren't 4500 ea., that was for the whole meal for two. Even the bread sticks with a tomato dipping sauce had one big chunk of tomato core in the middle so it's apparent there was little love in the preparation of the food.

I must really not be in tune with 'fine dining' or 'fancy' food in C.M. I've been here for going on 6 years now and have never heard of any of those places with the exception of Chez Marco which one of these days I'll get around to trying. laugh.png

I must really not be in tune with 'fine dining' or 'fancy' food in C.M. I've been here for going on 6 years now and have never heard of any of those places with the exception of Chez Marco which one of these days I'll get around to trying. laugh.png

La Fourchette (as mentioned above) is a good example. Budget nouevell cousine -- if you spend more than 1000 baht for two people it would probably mean that your ordered wine and the lobster and rarely does someone not like the restaurant.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I like La Fourchette, but (unless something has changed fairly recently) it is not air-con, so best to go during cool season.

No it's not air-conditioned. But it's an open air place and I don't think that most people who are even slightly acclimated to Thailand's climate would find the evening temps there uncomfortable this time of year.

Edited by OriginalPoster