Entending Ed Visa In Chiang Mai

Hello Sirs,

A question about extending an ED visa. As usual, I've left everything too late, but I'm hoping the collective kindness and wisdom of thaivisa will help me find a way to muddle through.

I entered on a multiple-entry ED visa almost 3 months ago. The permission-to-stay stamp expires on the 16th of this month (Friday). Have been studying Thai here in Chiang Mai since. So I go into the school today and ask if I can extend the permission-to-stay stamp here in Chiang Mai. They say no, because (a) you can't extend a multiple-entry visa stay in this case and ( B) they haven't requested the required documents from whichever government ministry supplies them (and they are not likely to be able to get them by Friday).

So my first question is, is (a) actually correct? That if I had come in on a single-entry I could extend without leaving the country but cannot because I have the multiple-entry?

Secondly, can anyone think of a way for me to get out of driving all the way to Mae Sai next week? At one point I think it was possible to buy a 7 day extension from immigration - is that still the case? If I did so, does anyone know if this might give the school time to get the required documents back from government?

There has been a personnel change change in the visa section at the school, so it seems like things are a little confused at present. So it would be good to understand as much about the process as possible. Any information you can provide will gratefully received!

Thanks,

Cocopops.

Edited by cocopops

Single or multi makes no difference if an extension were available - but it is not so you have the advantage of a new 90 day entry with a simple border crossing/return by having the multi entry.

A seven days to leave (unapproved extension) would be all you could obtain from Immigration. Have no idea how long it would take to get documentation. You have paid for an extended study period?

Single or multi makes no difference if an extension were available - but it is not so you have the advantage of a new 90 day entry with a simple border crossing/return by having the multi entry.

A seven days to leave (unapproved extension) would be all you could obtain from Immigration. Have no idea how long it would take to get documentation. You have paid for an extended study period?

Thanks for clarifying the multi vs. single entry visa thing. I suspected it was as you say.

I paid up front for the full year. I think the only reason the extension is not possible is that the wheels were not set in motion wrt. the documentation early enough.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know if obtaining the "seven days to leave" extensions is merely a matter of showing up and paying the fee? I'm thinking of taking the chance to visit some family back home and a couple of extra days to organize a ticket might be helpful. Would it go any smoother if I already had a ticket to leave the country during those seven days?

Thanks again for your help!

Another thing to keep in mind is that if school were aware you had a multi entry visa they likely expected you to use it so would not have requested extension paperwork (many would feel cheated by not taking advantage of the visa they had already paid for). Most students apply for the ED visa in the local area and can only obtain a single entry so have to extend every 3 months with the school paperwork, forms, copies and 1,900 baht fee.