Pc To Tv With Hdmi Cable Will Not Work.

jerrybeirne

i have a three year old acer 5738z pc and a one year old sony bravia flat screen tv.

both items have a port for an hdmi cable, which i fitted in the hope that i could watch my pc on my tv screen.

its not working..

i tried using my neighbours mac and it did work, so it must be something do to with the pc.

i am running windows xp (thai dodgy)

a mate had a similar problem and was told that maybe it cant be done using windows xp.

i would be grateful for any input on how to get it working.

thanks in advance,

jerry.

p.s. keep it simple if you can.

Did you use the same cable from your PC as you did from the Mac?

I've been using an HDMI cable from my notebook to Tv for a year or more but yesterday it stopped working. At first I thought it was the notebook but I swapped the "faulty" cable with the one Truevisions box and that worked wheras I couldn't see True TV.

Bought a new cable today and all is well again. I don't know how long the cables are supposed to work but this one was less than two years old and cost about 300 baht (not one of the expensive ones).

Sometimes there are Fn keystrokes, usually the Fn key along with some key along the top tier of the keyboard. Look at the keys for a symbol that looks something like multiple monitors or monitor switching. Sometimes takes multiple keystrokes to cycle through all output config options.

I think in your case Fn and F5 look good.... Pressed at same time

Edited by quadman

bought one tonite---got video but no sound out of the tv---tried all i could with remote--am i missing stg?...do i need to do stg on my laptop or get another cable to go from headphone jack to tv???

Unless the graphics card supports audio over HDMI and the TV the same you will need to use the audio in connectors on the TV.

bought one tonite---got video but no sound out of the tv---tried all i could with remote--am i missing stg?...do i need to do stg on my laptop or get another cable to go from headphone jack to tv???

Unless the graphics card supports audio over HDMI and the TV the same you will need to use the audio in connectors on the TV.

used RGB/VGA but no sound---got the HDMI today---works---good to go---tnx

Did you use the same cable from your PC as you did from the Mac?

I've been using an HDMI cable from my notebook to Tv for a year or more but yesterday it stopped working. At first I thought it was the notebook but I swapped the "faulty" cable with the one Truevisions box and that worked wheras I couldn't see True TV.

Bought a new cable today and all is well again. I don't know how long the cables are supposed to work but this one was less than two years old and cost about 300 baht (not one of the expensive ones).

The HDMI cables can actually short out. There is an electrical charge between the imput and outputs of the HDMI cable. I make sure both are powered off before I change my connections.

Jerry - OP. Did you get it working?

For simplicity, post #4, then post #3 are what I would do first.

J

eureka eureka, i finaly got it working. thanks for the input and apologies for not replying sooner. it was driving me nuts and i walked away from it for a few days.

anyway, this is what i did,

control panel, d/c display,settings,

i then had a box with number 1 and 2 screens, i could not activate number 2, i kept going round in circles,

but eventually i did by clicking ,extend windows onto this monitor, o.k.

the computer turned off and came back on again.

i then pressed FN and F5 together and a series of icons flashed on my screen very quickly.

i managed to click on the one with a picture of a p.c and a t.v with a cable going between them.

i then flicked through my t.v and yipee it was working on HDMI 2.

i can now play film, music etc on my t.v..