Pig Poo And Flies

stickyrice

From reading others posts, sounds like many pig farmers are using water to wash away the pig poo, some save it for fertilizer. Right now, we shovel maybe 80 percent into a pile to use as fertilizer and the rest is washed into a pipe that goes out to rice fields. This is unfortunately a lot of work and not very pleasent.

For those who wash away the pig poo, where does your go?

And for those who save the pig poo, have you found any good solutions for preventing the huge swarms of flies?

Compost Heaps not poo Heaps. I do not have a fly problem in the pens or the compost heaps. The only time I see flies is when the sh1t is in the barrow. Spray with EM, incorporate straw and biochar, and they are gone.

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, if I am understanding what you do correctly: You purchase straw (or you grow it?) and you spead it in the pens to serve as a manipulitive material (and I imagine to make the pens just nicer). Then you scrap up the straw and poo mixture each day and make compost?

I am so sorry if my questions sound stupid. But, regardless, I am very thankful for you reply.

No, if I use bedding material it is rice hulls not straw. The point is as compost there is air in the mix. If you spread manure thinnly then it will dry quickly. In a pile the moisture is trapped. In that case cover the pile with a tarp or straw.

I also use EM to introduce microbes to break down the manure, the straw has a healthy population as well. One tip in using straw is to use chopped straw not long strands. All this stuff is in the composting areas in the organics subsection and some in the Pigs 101 thread.

let me share with you how we do it,

please comment if you want just dont call me names

because all our pigs like to crap in one area alone within their room (pen)? we just drop one or two bags of fresh husk in it, i mean in their pen or room 7-8 pigs each room. about 3.3mx3.3m.

next day remove it in to a big mama of a bucket on whells and drop it on the specific place outside where we actually make compost to add to the latex trees, (cheap fertilizer)

flies not much

smell very little

the pigs love it,

we do spray some EM on the compost outside but not as often as you would think

once a month or so,

once i collect the husk we washed them clean let it dry for an hour or so and then add new rice husk.

a bit of work but personally its paying off large amounts of compost.

just dont add fresh husk when its time to feed the pigs, they will stop eating to play with the husk

the wash water its piped into the small field with banana,

the banana are massive by the way,

because all our pigs like to crap in one area alone within their room (pen)? we just drop one or two bags of fresh husk in it, i mean in their pen or room 7-8 pigs each room. about 3.3mx3.3m.

next day remove it in to a big mama of a bucket on whells and drop it on the specific place outside where we actually make compost to add to the latex trees, (cheap fertilizer)

flies not much

smell very little

the pigs love it,

once a month or so,

once i collect the husk we washed them clean let it dry for an hour or so and then add new rice husk.

just dont add fresh husk when its time to feed the pigs, they will stop eating to play with the husk

Close enough in result if not process to what I do really. Only one comment, if the pigs stop eating to play with rice husk, can I suggest you are feeding them too much?

Oh, I spray EM on my compost piles daily, but it is finished in 3 weeks.

Edited by IsaanAussie

flies not much

smell very little

the pigs love it,

once a month or so,

Close enough in result if not process to what I do really. Only one comment, if the pigs stop eating to play with rice husk, can I suggest you are feeding them too much?

Oh, I spray EM on my compost piles daily, but it is finished in 3 weeks.

Interesting

Honestly IA i wouldnt know when they have had enough of the feed, they always seem hungry as hell, and im sure the missus has no idea too

im sure it varies from feed to feed aND their age too but generaly speaking about how much feed in weight do you give to your pigper day and how many times a day?

Honestly IA i wouldnt know when they have had enough of the feed, they always seem hungry as hell, and im sure the missus has no idea too

im sure it varies from feed to feed aND their age too but generaly speaking about how much feed in weight do you give to your pigper day and how many times a day?

Saw your comment on Pigs 101. My pigs are feed twice a day, morning and evening. I fed pigs to appetite up until they are at 30 kgs, after that it depends on the pigs destiny but essentially I feed to dietary requirement. The easiest way is to look at them and their body score and condition. In essence a meat pig needs to be grown out as fast as possible with a minimum of feed cost. A breeding pig needs calcium and other supplements because it will get much larger and live longer