Airborne Motorcycles And Thai Laws.............

sirchai

Hello all,

Just got my Pickup truck back a few weeks ago, after a guy had almost killed me one year ago, running a red light, while speeding.

I just wanted to drop something off 25 km away Friday evening, after coming home from work.

It was around 5.30 pm, when my wife and I took a shortcut to this village. Almost no traffic on this road seemed to be alright.

A guy had parked a tractor with a trailer on the other side of the road, when a guy on a Honda CBR 150 made an unbelievable stunt. The tractor’s trailer had two ramps, guess were meant for a vehicle, but not a motorcyclist….

It wasn't really dark, the guy on the bike just didn't look, drunk, or blind. He drove pretty fast on one of the trailer’s ramp, he flew through the air, his motorcycle too.

The bike was airborne ,when I passed and almost flew into my windshield. It then hit my front bumper and damaged some parts. I stopped being sure that the guy hadn't survived this accident., but willing to help him.

He sat there on the trailer, almost unbelievable. Took about 2 hours for the cops to show up, I had to drive my car to the nearby police station, cops had the motorbike and somebody brought also the tractor.

The cop explained to me that I’d have to leave my car there for a day. I took some Mitsu mechanics to the police station the next day to check the damage as, we had made an appointment at 10 am.

The responsible party didn't show up and I had to wait three more hours. The guys who own the tractor were very polite and when the cop made an offer to split my damage and both parties pay me 4,500 baht.

Hell no, they made like the tractor owner had made the accident, because the light wasn't switched on and refused to pay. It wasn't really dark when the accident occurred, so roughly said it was the guy’s fault who drove the motorbike.

So they were trying to change the whole story and wanted to have money for their damaged bike. To make a long story short, because they refused to pay half of my damage, the cop then decided that I’d have to leave my car there until Wednesday.

Luckily, I had no gun, or other serious weapon to kill somebody, when I found out that there was no way just to drive home and I had to call a friend who picked me up.

I do know that almost all Thai disappear when being involved in an accident, but I had nothing to hide, an airborne motorcycle that hits your car isn't usual on Thai streets.

I spent almost my whole weekend at the police station and really freaked out about so much nonsense. Now the shit goes on as I’ll have to get to work to another province tomorrow morning.

No idea how to pick my car up on Wednesday. Parts are already ordered, will take another week without car, when parts arrive and they fix it.

I thought it might be from interest to post this –true- story here to make people aware how weird the laws here are.

Honestly, if I’d be in the same situation now, I wouldn't care what happened to the motorbike driver and just leaving the scene.Another sad episode about this country many of us made to our home.

Enjoy your ride through the LOS. Land of Stunts.----wai.gif

Could it be that your pickup is jinxed as well? Maybe consider selling it and buy another instead. Seriously...

I am sure he will have taken it to the Wat to get that writing done on it.

If you do have first class insurance get them out. Next year may cost you a couple of thousand more but there will be no going back and forth to the police station and you will drive away 10 minutes after they get there.

Edited by harrry

I agree with Jim. If you have first class insurance, the insurance companies will sort things out for you. If the injured party has no insurance that also is sorted out. My insurance company, LMG, always comes quickly to the scene.

That's it. All taken care of. Been involved in four accidents which were not my fault. LMG are on duty 24 hours a day (in Ubon that is) 7 days a week. When one of my men had an accident in Sisaket on a Sunday, they drove over from Ubon. Had to wait 45 minutes though. Still everything was sorted out very quickly after they arrived.

Really?

That's it?

The problem might be that I don't have first class insurance as my car's 14 now. But I'll sort this out, just wanted to know if somebody had been in a similar situation.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Ok different story, cops attach no blame to you and are trying to negotiate settlement. 50/50 Tractor trailer guilty parked on road.[ Unnecessary obstruction of the carriageway, ] same same all over world, can't just park in the road.

Bike rider guilty [ riding without due care and attention ]

Take what ever the cops can get you or forget the whole thing. Jim

• Like 1

The problem might be that I don't have first class insurance as my car's 14 now. But I'll sort this out, just wanted to know if somebody had been in a similar situation.

Cheers-wai2.gif

Ok different story, cops attach no blame to you and are trying to negotiate settlement. 50/50 Tractor trailer guilty parked on road.[ Unnecessary obstruction of the carriageway, ] same same all over world, can't just park in the road.

Well, honestly my wife and I were the only witnesses who saw the whole stunt. The accident was caused by the speeding (or maybe also on speed) motorcyclist.

The fact that it wasn't really dark when the accident happened and the cops who needed two hours to show up is a joke, as it was dark when the royal cops arrived.

Friends of the stuntman, (he should apply for a stuntman position in Holly-or Bollywood, as nothing happened to him) changed the whole story that it was the tractors owner's fault.

I don't really care if they don't pay, but will get my car back on Wednesday, with a little bit good luck also my money. I'm very happy that the guy didn't fie, that would have changed the whole story as some of you might know.

I'm always happy when people are destroying my stuff and I love it to sit all day long at a police station in the middle of nowhere. My friend from the Tourist police could not be bothered. Showing me how deep Thai./ foreign friendships really are.

My good luck was the front bumper, can't even imagine to wait six months to get a car properly fixed here.

Cheers-wai2.gif

It's pretty simple. The stuntman had caused all the troubles as there was still light when the accident occurred. Cops needed TWO hours to be there and then it was dark.

Life's a never ending procedure of learning new things. The only thing that helps is "Jai Jenn Jenn".

• Like 1

Cheers-wai2.gif

No nothing quite like that! But I have only had a bike bounce off my bull bar then go under the car (minus driver). As the rider had no licence there were no real repercussions.

Sounds like your bike rider was off his head on something and had been watching some old Evil Kneaval videos.

Sounds terrible and a waste of your time, but as suggested it is often better to get a third party to sort this crap out for you. Insurance is a good thing to have!

Edited by pbeieio

My friend from the Tourist police could not be bothered. Showing me how deep Thai./ foreign friendships really are.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, it's really amazing that they can't figure it out who is the fault, but I guess the answer will be that the RICH farang will take care of his own damage since he shouldn't have been there at that time.

As for the line I highlighted in your post, there was a thread a few days ago with the question if a foreigner should befriend a Thai cop.

You have just answered the question in a not to misunderstand way.

I'm afraid Jim had it right all along. There's nothing you can do if you don't have number 1 insurance. Take what they offer and be done with it. You have an old vehicle under-insured. You have no witnesses. There is no right, no wrong and no logic.

How much did the repair cost you. Would the cost of number 1 insurance been more than that? Weigh the difference. You can't win with logic here. Chok dee.

mario299

I'm afraid Jim had it right all along. There's nothing you can do if you don't have number 1 insurance. Take what they offer and be done with it. You have an old vehicle under-insured. You have no witnesses. There is no right, no wrong and no logic.

How much did the repair cost you. Would the cost of number 1 insurance been more than that? Weigh the difference. You can't win with logic here. Chok dee.

mario299

Thanks all for the nice posts. It's a 9,000 baht damage at my car, but just because of my heavy duty bumper that took the whole impact, on one side welded to the frame and the other side with two 12 mm screws.

You usually don't get a number one insurance for a 14 year old car, even when it looks like a new one now. Sorry, it looked until last Friday afternoon.

Would i really want to tell them the truth, that it was still daylight and the guy was out of his mind?

Should the guy play stupid again, I'd love to stick his motorcycle with his own made 15,000 baht damage in his dumb arse.

Excuse my language, was a typo.

All I want is my car back on Wednesday and I don't really care next time when somebody's flying through the air.

I'd neither stop, nor do anything else to help somebody again who had an accident.

Had my Sgt. Major "friend" on the phone again today who needs me to do some translations for him. Won't happen though.

It's pretty much scary when foreigners start to think like Thais do. Wish you all good luck when driving through this lovely country. wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Finally got my car back after almost one week, plus 9,000 baht for the damage. I've called the cop, told him that I'd rented a car, going back and forth to work to the neighboring province and I'm asking for an additional 1,000 baht for each day not having my car.

Car was released short after my phone call, my Tourist Police (Best friend, his words) wasn't even trying to help. Evil Knievel's stunt was breathtaking, can't believe that nothing had happened to him. He flew at least 6 meters through the air, landed om the road.

Gotta love this place.--wai2.gif

Could it be that your pickup is jinxed as well? Maybe consider selling it and buy another instead. Seriously...

Agree maybe the OP did not have the car blessed at a Wat, if the OP not do it is not to late. was at the Wat 2 weeks ago and a small delivery truck drive was having his blessed, as he had 3 accidents in it already.

Agree maybe the OP did not have the car blessed at a Wat, if the OP not do it is not to late. was at the Wat 2 weeks ago and a small delivery truck drive was having his blessed, as he had 3 accidents in it already.

Holy cow! Had my car blessed at a well-known temple.. That prevented more damage, it's that easy.

Or was it just my 25 kg bumper? Got my Sanskrit painting in my car, this monks face on the windshield. Full protection by Thai standards.

Statistically seen, I won't see flying motorcycles again heading toward my window. Who's next?--w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai