Advice On Motion Detector/alarms

giddyup

I need some kind of home security, and without going the full hog, I figure a couple of motion detectors hooked up to a siren would do the job. I was recommended a security company but they wanted 20,000 baht, which I thought a bit excessive. Anyone know of any better, cheaper (forget a dog) options? Obviously the alarm has to have a timer/shut-off capability.

Edited by giddyup

If you want to DIY, then you should have a look around Home Pro as they have some Detectors and Alarms in a Modular setup on display. They also have sets for sale (complete with onsite installation) but these also easily hit the 20k mark.

If you want to DIY, then you should have a look around Home Pro as they have some Detectors and Alarms in a Modular setup on display. They also have sets for sale (complete with onsite installation) but these also easily hit the 20k mark.

I've just been browsing Ebay and see quite a few for less than $100. How reliable and what quality, I don't know.

My experience would advise you disregard PIR motion sensors.

My wife and myself spend a fair bit of time away from our house and the motion detectors on my system gave me quite a few false alarms due to the odd gekko, spider, cobweb etc even when the sensitivity was reduced to 2 activations in 2 secs before trigger. In the end I moved from PIR sensors to a magnetic sensor on every door and window and haven't had a false alarm since.

You can get pet friendly PIR's that are less sensitive and don't cover the bottom 1 metre of the room but I wouldn't bother.

What are you trying to protect? Outdoor areas to frighten them away or alarm when they actually enter the home. These systems are not difficult to install if you have some mechanical ability and can understand the system involved. Post here or pm me and i will try and help.

What are you trying to protect? Outdoor areas to frighten them away or alarm when they actually enter the home. These systems are not difficult to install if you have some mechanical ability and can understand the system involved. Post here or pm me and i will try and help.

PM sent.

My wife and myself spend a fair bit of time away from our house and the motion detectors on my system gave me quite a few false alarms due to the odd gekko, spider, cobweb etc even when the sensitivity was reduced to 2 activations in 2 secs before trigger. In the end I moved from PIR sensors to a magnetic sensor on every door and window and haven't had a false alarm since.

You can get pet friendly PIR's that are less sensitive and don't cover the bottom 1 metre of the room but I wouldn't bother.

I got a dog more than 30 years ago for that very reason - lizards move and travel slowly across the front of motion detectors on a regular basis.

I got a dog more than 30 years ago for that very reason - lizards move and travel slowly across the front of motion detectors on a regular basis.

He'd be a bit long in the tooth now.biggrin.png

My advice would be to go with a reputable name brand system that can easily be upgraded and modified in the future. I went with DSC because of the huge selection of equipment, the ease of finding info online, and they have distribution in Thailand. However the local installers charge way too much (2-3 times) for the equipment (Even for the magnets guys were 200-300 baht each for the part!). I laid out my own system, purchased all the parts online, had a friend reship the package, and then found a local installer to do the wiring and programming. Saved a lot and I wasn't limited by what components they had to offer (recessed piezo sirens, internet module, etc). I did have the installer fill in some missing parts, batteries weren't worth shipping, and I figured the transformers were best supplied locally.

I have a few DSC motion detectors covering wide areas of glass, with the dual technology I haven't had a problem yet.

• Like 1

Several actually - but currently do without as always someone in home with extended family.

To be honest I'd prefer a dog as a deterrent myself, but at my age there's a good chance he'll outlive me. There's also the responsibility of finding someone to care for them when you're away.

My advice would be to go with a reputable name brand system that can easily be upgraded and modified in the future. I went with DSC because of the huge selection of equipment, the ease of finding info online, and they have distribution in Thailand. However the local installers charge way too much (2-3 times) for the equipment (Even for the magnets guys were 200-300 baht each for the part!). I laid out my own system, purchased all the parts online, had a friend reship the package, and then found a local installer to do the wiring and programming. Saved a lot and I wasn't limited by what components they had to offer (recessed piezo sirens, internet module, etc). I did have the installer fill in some missing parts, batteries weren't worth shipping, and I figured the transformers were best supplied locally.

I have a few DSC motion detectors covering wide areas of glass, with the dual technology I haven't had a problem yet.

What did your system cost?

What did your system cost?

Parts were around 1600USD and Installation was 50k Baht which included all wiring, conduit, batteries and transformers. It ended up being a pretty big, complicated system (lots of magnets, multiple partitions, etc).

Ignore the shipping cost on the attached screen shot!

post-63101-0-45454400-1353303819_thumb.p

post-63101-0-45454400-1353303819_thumb.p

Edited by beechstreet

• 5 months later...

Just need to find a couple of the type that are hard wired motion sensors w/light attached to a small area of my back yard and front door. I've no idea where to get them.....all these electronics stores want to do is sell me cctv....I just want it lit up if there's motion, that's all.

Just need to find a couple of the type that are hard wired motion sensors w/light attached to a small area of my back yard and front door. I've no idea where to get them.....all these electronics stores want to do is sell me cctv....I just want it lit up if there's motion, that's all.

Home Pro have floodlights with adjustable PIR detectors, the small one is about 450 Baht.

This company's products were recommended to us. http://www.watashi.co.th/all_products_en.php I'd never heard of them before.

We've installed one of their CCTV packages and happy with it. I've since discovered plenty of other locals businesses with using watashi.

For just a light operated by motiion detector the ones from Homepro sound like a good price.

This company's products were recommended to us. http://www.watashi.co.th/all_products_en.php I'd never heard of them before.

We've installed one of their CCTV packages and happy with it. I've since discovered plenty of other locals businesses with using watashi.

For just a light operated by motiion detector the ones from Homepro sound like a good price.

Homepro has some on display but none in stock, I wonder if I could ask them to do something different like "order it!!!?)

Global House have a 4 camera + DVR/controller + cables kit on promotion for 7K Baht ATM - there's 100 online vendors that will do the same sort of price for that style of kit though.

Is there a reasonably priced CCTV system that works on wireless. I don't really want someone knocking in cables on my new house!

Either available here or US / UK . I can always get someone to carry it in or send it on.

There are wireless systems out there but bear in mind the camera needs a source of power. That power usually comes via a small plug in transformer that must be near the camera. So one camera equals one plug-in, 10 cameras equals 10 plug-ins. The lan type cameras derive their power via the lan cables so no added plug-ins

Homepro has some on display but none in stock, I wonder if I could ask them to do something different like "order it!!!?)

Which Home Pro are you referring to?

Home Pro Hang Dong had them in stock about 10 days ago..

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a useful update on their experiences with IP cameras? I want to put in a simple system partly for security but mostly for monitoring the swimming pool area while the children are around. I won't need fancy recording facilities but motion detection with a real time alarm and online viewing of the camera output are important.

I think I do want decent resolution digital cameras as none of the analogue ones I've seen seem to have sufficient quality.

Edited by Greenside