Need A Doctor To Help Me Get Off Xanax

Jajazazajaja

Like an idiot i have been self medicating on Xanax to get over travel/work stress and insomnia.

It is proving very hard to stop taking it, due the effects of long term benzo use (horrible). I travel a lot on business and dont like taking unprescribed benzos through customs

Im looking for a doctor in BKK who will listen to the reasons for my condition and can prescribe me something like Vallium (to get over the benzo withdrawal slowly and a real medication for insomnia (Zopiclone)

The last Thai doctor i saw was utterly useless.

any help, greatly appreciated.

thanks

First of all, congratulations on recogniozing that you have a problem and on seeking professional help for it, that alone puts you ahead of the pack when it comes to this sort of problem.

There are several doctors in Thailand who specilize in addiciton disorders. The following are western trained and look well qualified, I have no direct feedback on them:

http://www.manarom.c...rn_eng.html at Manoram Hospital.

http://www.bumrungra...-Saengcharnchai at Bumrungrad. He also has hours at Manoram but probably Bumrungrad is more convenient location wise

During the past few years, there have been a number of occasions when I have been prescribed Xanax by hospitals and doctors, supposedly for sleeping problems. Ditto, drug stores, when I asked for 'something to help me sleep'.

The last occasion was after I had my open heart surgery in Bangkok. I was quite surprised to find Xanax amongst the pills being given to me.

Some time ago I discovered that Xanax is highly addictive and immediately stopped taking it and have never knowingly taken it since.

It not only amazes me that this addictive drug is so widely prescribed and available as a 'sleeping tablet', but that not a single doctor has ever seen fit to warn me that it can be addictive.

I can only imagine that Xanax is prescribed as it requires a far less rigorous clearance than real sleeping pills that are now strictly controlled.

be warned about Xanax, and good luck to the OP.

Edited by Mobi
  • Like 2

You certainly aren't alone in the case of becoming addicted to a medication like Xanax. The whole benzi group is particularly addictive, and coming off them can be very difficult.

You'll need to switch from Xanax to Vallium, and realistically this may take a period of months. slow tapering schedules are shown to have the best efficacy in terms of recovery.

There is a useful link here, which is based on Dr Ashtons work

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

and further info on that website.

A useful support project is Recovery Road, who are based in the UK. http://recovery-road.org/

It wont matter that you are based in Thailand, as I am sure they will also be happy to provide you with information. I do hope that you can find a suitable Doctor who can support you with this.

I had laser eye surgery 6 months ago and was surpised to find Xanax in my take home bag of medication. I didn't take it as I didnt particularly have any trouble sleeping. I'm sure it's fine as a one off (they gave me 3 tablets) but it was strange to get it without any discussion about possible problems - I've never taken it but have heard of it (and the fact that it can be addictive) so would probably have at least checked it out online before taking it. I've never taken sleeping pills but have had phases of mild insomnia through stressful times in my life (including quite recently) and could quite easily be a prime candidate for getting hooked on sleeping pills. I guess it's just strange as I'm used to the NHS in the UK and doctors having my whole medical records to hand before prescribing anything.

Could have done with some kind of relaxant before the laser surgery though!!

Well done to the OP by the way - sounds like you are heading in the right direction - good luck.

Edited by swlondonmum

You certainly aren't alone in the case of becoming addicted to a medication like Xanax. The whole benzi group is particularly addictive, and coming off them can be very difficult.

You'll need to switch from Xanax to Vallium, and realistically this may take a period of months. slow tapering schedules are shown to have the best efficacy in terms of recovery.

There is a useful link here, which is based on Dr Ashtons work

http://www.benzo.org...ual/bzsched.htm

and further info on that website.

A useful support project is Recovery Road, who are based in the UK. http://recovery-road.org/

It wont matter that you are based in Thailand, as I am sure they will also be happy to provide you with information. I do hope that you can find a suitable Doctor who can support you with this.

Excellent post . My father had a similar issue through work related stress and was prescribed 2mg Lorazapam tablets.

His stress disappeared after a period out of his work situation but it took him nearly a year to stop taking the pills. At his worst he had agoraphobia so bad he couldn't even make it to the local pub for a pint with me.

Glad to hear you are taking the first step towards recovery OP!

I wonder how addictive they are i use them once in a while (couple times a month). Never had problems with them so far. Only use them when something is off, not a regular thing. I actually don't like them that much in the morning as you are still not 100% clear (of mind)

I wonder how addictive they are i use them once in a while (couple times a month). Never had problems with them so far. Only use them when something is off, not a regular thing. I actually don't like them that much in the morning as you are still not 100% clear (of mind)

They are very addictive, however given the way that you are using them should not be problematic. Benzo's should never be prescribed over long periods, and really for only a maximum of 14 days. However,over the years GP's have created a whole new breed of addicts, through slipshod prescribing. Coming off Benzo's is not pleasant, and not easy. In terms of use, when you are starting to use them after a month, you may start to find that there is a dependency on them.

As a thought to the OP, I would recommend that if you are unsure about the Doctors that you go to Dr Donna for a consult; she is a British GP, with a Thai Medical License and practices in Bangkok.

http://www.medconsultasia.com/

Hope that helps

I hate to admit it, but I had the exact same problem when I first came to Thailand.

So easy to get. Chills out the stress of relocating to the city... totally lost track of how often I was taking it.

Decided to detox one day, not even knowing what physical dependence really meant. The withdrawals are horrible. At first I didn't even realize what it was that was causing me to be sick... and a little crazy.

After 3 days of cold-turkey madness I read up and realized there needs to be a gradual drawdown of your dosage.

For me, I had to guess at what my base level was because I hadn't at all been counting when I was using it. Was it twice a week? Or 4 times a week? So I chose what I thought was about an average weekly dose and started from there.

Whatever you decide was your base level, plan to reduce your daily dose by .25mg every 2 weeks.

It takes a long time- but it's SO much better than trying to cut out too quickly.

If you do it very slowly you should notice minimal effects.

It worked for me exactly as planned.

I'll never touch that stuff again.

Good luck.

• Like 1

They are very addictive, however given the way that you are using them should not be problematic. Benzo's should never be prescribed over long periods, and really for only a maximum of 14 days. However,over the years GP's have created a whole new breed of addicts, through slipshod prescribing. Coming off Benzo's is not pleasant, and not easy. In terms of use, when you are starting to use them after a month, you may start to find that there is a dependency on them.

As a thought to the OP, I would recommend that if you are unsure about the Doctors that you go to Dr Donna for a consult; she is a British GP, with a Thai Medical License and practices in Bangkok.

http://www.medconsultasia.com/

Hope that helps

Thanks for the information, that helps. I dont intent to use them for long periods at all and have never used them long.

Can't offer a solution, but can offer a word of encouragement. Well done for taking the steps to get off them. We are all too dependent on over the counter self meds these days, <deleted> did we all do 150 years back or weren't we stressed then?

150 years ago people died of many diseases that we can cure now.. and the point is.. Just that there wasn't a medicine back then does not mean the disease did not exist.

+1. Once in a while's fine and helpful on appropriate occasions. Only a danger to those prone to addictions, really. Have to keep it away from them as usual as the rest of us suffer the resultant inconvenience.

Can't offer a solution, but can offer a word of encouragement. Well done for taking the steps to get off them. We are all too dependent on over the counter self meds these days, <deleted> did we all do 150 years back or weren't we stressed then?

We lived to be 40 years old rather than 80 (on average).

+1. Once in a while's fine and helpful on appropriate occasions. Only a danger to those prone to addictions, really. Have to keep it away from them as usual as the rest of us suffer the resultant inconvenience.

I think even people not particularly prone to addiction can develop a problem if they are not careful to limit use to once in a while. Doctors as many have noted do not properly warn on this point.

• Like 1

I think even people not particularly prone to addiction can develop a problem if they are not careful to limit use to once in a while. Doctors as many have noted do not properly warn on this point.

I got no plans to use it more then once in a while, i just don't wake up as fresh as after a normal nights sleep. But it beats not sleeping at all.

Well, i have an appointment at Bumugrad, so lets see what they say. Thanks for all the encouragement.

My job is ridiculously stressful and Xanax has helped in some senses, but now im totally hooked.

Coming off Xanax after years of use is horrible. I have had seizures and bad panic attacks when trying in the past, but I'm determined to quit.

• Like 1

We all died of pnuemonia, tuberculosis and war at around age 45.

Thai docs in particular aren't as communicative as one would like. But even our most obtuse expats would have the sense to look on the internet to get info on their meds, esp a painkiller or sleep aid or mood enhancer. I suspect the most, if not all, of our Xanax addicts knew about Xanax before they became addicted.

Edited by JSixpack

Well, i have an appointment at Bumugrad, so lets see what they say. Thanks for all the encouragement.

My job is ridiculously stressful and Xanax has helped in some senses, but now im totally hooked.

Coming off Xanax after years of use is horrible. I have had seizures and bad panic attacks when trying in the past, but I'm determined to quit.

Given this information, I think you should consider organizing some appropriate counselling sessions. Unfortunately, you will not get that at Bumrungrad. I still think you would have been better off taking an initial appointment with Medconsult, as opposed to seeing what I assume will be a Thai Psychiatrist at Bumrungrad. An appointment with a Psychiatrist here, is likely only to be for prescribing medications - you do need to consider therapy in conjunction with this. There is a Counsellor at Medconsult, and also I can recommend PSI as well for Counseling Services, and I have had had good feedback regarding Ben Weinstein at PSI.

Edited by mrtoad

• 2 months later...

Well, i got some valium and zopiclone from the doctors and have been able to get down to 5mg of Diazapam 2 - 3 times a week which im really pleased about.

I dont feel in a panic anymore if i haven't got access to any pills and am generally feeling a bit less stressed, maybe due to taking up exercise again.

Anyway, next up is a councillor.

Xanax is a horrible drug to stop using, i wish anyone all the best if they are struggling with it.

• 8 months later...

reviving an old thread.

Well, good on you Jaja..........Thanks for bringing this topic up as well as keeping us up to date with your progress.

I also admit to being a Xanax addict [my denial calls it habituation and not addiction]. I was Rxed Xanax by my family Dr back in the US as a new and better replacement drug for the vallium that he Rxed me for anxiety/stress that I was going thru because of a nasty divorce and other work related issues.

It did wonders for relieving my stress and giving me a good night's sleep and the Dr's were just throwing that stuff at you. That was about 25 years ago and I'm still taking it nightly as a sleep aid and now at 66 years of age and not in the best of health, I resigned myself to taking it until I die............But, all of a sudden Xanax got banned by the Thai government [they said because it was a 'date rape drug', 555] and is now only available in 30 .5mg tablet batches. That's about a week's dose for my consumption and it's either suffer the withdrawals or try to find some on the black market, which I have done in the past, but got inconsistent dosages at 5 times the Rx price.

I guess it's time to withdraw.

Please keep us up to date Jaja with your progress and we all wish you the best.

I quit smoking 4 years ago, couldn't sleep and was very nervous and angry all the time. Took 1mg Xanax, two tablets a day, sometimes during day cut them in half. After 2 months stopped taking them, and had no withdrawals at all, zero.

It has its place, and it really helps with anxiety. It also doesn't increase appetite to insane level, as some herbal meds do.

reviving an old thread.

Well, good on you Jaja..........Thanks for bringing this topic up as well as keeping us up to date with your progress.

I also admit to being a Xanax addict [my denial calls it habituation and not addiction]. I was Rxed Xanax by my family Dr back in the US as a new and better replacement drug for the vallium that he Rxed me for anxiety/stress that I was going thru because of a nasty divorce and other work related issues.

It did wonders for relieving my stress and giving me a good night's sleep and the Dr's were just throwing that stuff at you. That was about 25 years ago and I'm still taking it nightly as a sleep aid and now at 66 years of age and not in the best of health, I resigned myself to taking it until I die............But, all of a sudden Xanax got banned by the Thai government [they said because it was a 'date rape drug', 555] and is now only available in 30 .5mg tablet batches. That's about a week's dose for my consumption and it's either suffer the withdrawals or try to find some on the black market, which I have done in the past, but got inconsistent dosages at 5 times the Rx price.

I guess it's time to withdraw.

Please keep us up to date Jaja with your progress and we all wish you the best.

Do get under a doctor's care to come off it. there are well established medical protocals for this. they will switch you to valioum and gradually taper down.