Anna And Mike's Food @ Bigc

KelCastro

If anyone is interested in a change in food at a good price, I'm sure you may have seen the signs for Anna Kabob's (Big C on Pattaya Klang) and Mike's Stand (Big C on Sukhumvit) but I've actually tried both and they're both really food. I've had the chicken, falafa, lentil soup, salad, etc. from both places and I enjoy it. A lot of places come and go, but these two stick around.... just in case anyone hasn't tried them yet.

Let's get this straight and correct your inaccuracies.

Anna and Mike were partners at Big C Extra (and Carrefour before that) before they split up late last year. Anna took over the stand at Big C Extra and Mike opened and closed stands at Tukcom, then Tops and now he's at Big C Sukhumvit.

The menu is the work of Mike. Anna's shop generally severs lousy food and it's a bad attempt at copying Mike's food.

I suppose you wouldn't in any way be connected with the named restaurant would you? You have already posted exactly the same message on another web board!

Why don't you sponsor a forum if they are such 'good food'

I wouldn't know those people if they literally ran into me on the street. If you want to look better, you should know all of my posts are double posted, this wasn't some sort of spectacular exception.

Anna and Mike were partners at Big C Extra (and Carrefour before that) before they split up late last year. Anna took over the stand at Big C Extra and Mike opened and closed stands at Tukcom, then Tops and now he's at Big C Sukhumvit.

The menu is the work of Mike. Anna's shop generally severs lousy food and it's a bad attempt at copying Mike's food.

It would be "inaccurate" if I commented on their business story together... apart... and everything in between. I merely commented on the similar food at both Big Cs. Sorry if the combination offended you.

It would be "inaccurate" if I commented on their business story together... apart... and everything in between. I merely commented on the similar food at both Big Cs. Sorry if the combination offended you.

I'm not offended in the slightest, but Anna's Kebabs at Big C Extra serves poor quality food and is not worth recommending. MIke's Kebabs at Big C Sukhumvit is good.

Anna is not "hand's on" and has lazy staff serving up dry chicken and slop. MIke works in his shop and keeps everything tasty and fresh.

I'm not offended in the slightest, but Anna's Kebabs at Big C Extra serves poor quality food and is not worth recommending. MIke's Kebabs at Big C Sukhumvit is good.

Anna is not "hand's on" and has lazy staff serving up dry chicken and slop. MIke works in his shop and keeps everything tasty and fresh.

I tried the kebab at Big C Extra once. Never again. Diabolical.

I agree with the staffing point. The staff at Mike's stand is FAR friendlier. Anna's Kebab stand seems a bit lazy and are constantly distracted with other Big C employees. (But that didn't surprise me, as many Thai people respond that way to foreigners.) About the dry food at Anna's... I take advantage of the oil and seasonings they have out, so perhaps that helps disguise the dryness and poor quality food.

I agree with the staffing point. The staff at Mike's stand is FAR friendlier. Anna's Kebab stand seems a bit lazy and are constantly distracted with other Big C employees. (But that didn't surprise me, as many Thai people respond that way to foreigners.) About the dry food at Anna's... I take advantage of the oil and seasonings they have out, so perhaps that helps disguise the dryness and poor quality food.

The oil will help, but I don't use oil or much dressing.

The kebab stall at Central Food Court is quite good. The lady who owns that stall is a friend of Mikes and usually does a very good job. She has a few different combos on her menu to cater to the Russian crowd. You can't always win though - one time the chicken there was far too salty.

I ate at Mikes place in Tukcom a couple of time and really enjoyed the food. Mike is also a very friendly chap who's happy to talk about his food, preparation, background etc for those interested. I don't really like the Tops on Pattaya Klang so I'm happy to hear he moved to Big C Sukhumvit. Will drop by there next time I'm in the area.

Another great place for doner and other kebab food is Doner King on Pattaya Klang, just a few shops down from Tops. I had a beef doner first time I was there and it was really dry, but I've had many chicken doner since then and they are really nice. I think he must be baking the bread himself, proper Turkish doner bread, lots of fresh vegetables, very yummy and a bargain at just 69 baht. They also serve beef kebab, chunks of beef grilled fresh on order which is very very nice. Only the beef doner looks sad and dry every time I get there, so I'll stay away from that.

I ate at Mikes place in Tukcom a couple of time and really enjoyed the food. Mike is also a very friendly chap who's happy to talk about his food, preparation, background etc for those interested. I don't really like the Tops on Pattaya Klang so I'm happy to hear he moved to Big C Sukhumvit. Will drop by there next time I'm in the area.

Another great place for doner and other kebab food is Doner King on Pattaya Klang, just a few shops down from Tops. I had a beef doner first time I was there and it was really dry, but I've had many chicken doner since then and they are really nice. I think he must be baking the bread himself, proper Turkish doner bread, lots of fresh vegetables, very yummy and a bargain at just 69 baht. They also serve beef kebab, chunks of beef grilled fresh on order which is very very nice. Only the beef doner looks sad and dry every time I get there, so I'll stay away from that.

Phil, this is how a proper Turkish kebab should look like donerkebab.jpgIf you can confirm that it looks anything close to this,I will be at that shop tomorrow.As I've never seen these in Thailand before, and many times are craving to have one.

The oil will help, but I don't use oil or much dressing.

The kebab stall at Central Food Court is quite good. The lady who owns that stall is a friend of Mikes and usually does a very good job. She has a few different combos on her menu to cater to the Russian crowd. You can't always win though - one time the chicken there was far too salty.

Think I had the chicken salad there before. It was pretty good. Ladies are nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned getting some kefir grains from Mike. I have been there several times for kebabs trying to speak with him but he's never there. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him?

Incidentally, the kebabs there are very nice and it's the only shop I know of that has feta cheese. I get the feta/chicken combo and it's ohh so tasty.

I gave Mike some kefir grains last year but he soon destroyed them. He didn't understand the process of making kefir (despite my guidance) and wasn't all that interested. Pascal who runs the "Nutrition Club" (mainly Herbal Life) may have some. He was right into it a year ago. He's located in one of the shop houses in the Town and Town complex.

I gave Mike some kefir grains last year but he soon destroyed them. He didn't understand the process of making kefir (despite my guidance) and wasn't all that interested. Pascal who runs the "Nutrition Club" (mainly Herbal Life) may have some. He was right into it a year ago. He's located in one of the shop houses in the Town and Town complex.

Thanks Tropo. Will you still have some to share when you are back in town?

I tried the kebab at Big C Extra once. Never again. Diabolical.

Ditto. It nearly made me puke.

They don't use the vertical kebab oven to cook the chicken....they just cook it on a grill in bulk when needed. It's often very dry and tasteless. The salad is limp too. Not the best ingredients with which to make a tasty kebab.

You can definitely find a better meal at the Big C Extra food court.

The one at Big C South pattaya is much better than the Big C extra one. It's the one one I've seen that does feta cheese. And I found their veggies to be fresh.

Yes, let's make it clear that there is no connection between the two places and don't get them confused.

Big C Extra - try at your own risk.

Big C Sukhumvit - go for it!