Check Divorce Status At Amphur

joeyjojo

I need to check my status with the Amphur in Bangkok but its proving difficult from OS. I have had no contact with my ex for over 5 years. Im pretty sure its been done but have no way of confirming. I've rung a few times from here but my Thai is not sufficient to get my requirements across. Any way of having this sorted without going there? (ie an English service or speaker who can assist? ) I have no documents/marriage certificates, only our particulars.

A lawfirm should be bale to help you, but will cost you. They will probably need a power of attorney to do it and then it is simply a matter of going to the amphur on your behalf.

I guess this was a divorce through the courts, as adivorce at the amphur is direct. A divorce at the court is valid from the moment it is granted, but to others (think people who you or your wife own money) it will only be valid when it is also registered at the amphur, so they can know that you are no longer married.

Many thanks. Id say it was done in the courts as I was not present and didn't sign anything. Does this mean that the Amphur may still not know we are divorced? Im making an assumption that it all went through as she would have had to do all this to get another visa and be sponsored again to get another visa. Which Ive been told she did.

It’s quite possible she may have obtained a court divorce if you haven’t had contact for 5 years. She may have filed on the grounds of desertion. That wouldn’t require a signature from you.

IF she managed to get a court divorce it is only a matter of her attending the umphur with the court verdict and registering the divorce. The umphur enters verdict in lieu in the signature block where you would have normally been required to sign.

The umphur will have the divorce on record. The umphur doesn’t notify the other party as my ex discovered nearly a year after we were divorced.

As you don’t want to travel to Thailand I would imagine as Mario suggests engaging a law firm may be your only option. They can also collect your divorce certificate. Be careful as there are a lot of wolves wearing lawyers clothing.

Edit to add. Have you inquired at the Thai embassy in your home country? No guarantees but they may be able to provide the information without you going the Thai lawyer route.

Edited by Farma

Many thanks. Id say it was done in the courts as I was not present and didn't sign anything. Does this mean that the Amphur may still not know we are divorced? Im making an assumption that it all went through as she would have had to do all this to get another visa and be sponsored again to get another visa. Which Ive been told she did.

There is a small possibility that the amphur doesn't know of the divorce, but unlikely. You have to take the court decision to the amphur, where the divorce is recorded. So if she didn't do that the records at the amphur would sill show the marrige. As said, it is unlikely she would have gone through the steps for a divorce and then not finalize it.

The visa process might also indicate in that direction. So in all likelyhood it is registered at the amphur.

If not, the court decision must be obtained and then filed at the amphur for registering the divorce.

Great thanks...any recommendations for lawyers? I will be going to Thailand soon but wanted to find out first if the divorce was finalised or not. The trip will have a vastly different complexion if it has not. If it has not I was hoping to hit the ground running with a court divorce and have things in place for when I arrive. All reports are that she was sponsored again over five years ago so as I said I think she would definitely have had to have done this.

Contact your local Thai embassy before engaging a lawyer. They might be able to confirm the divorce and could save you some money.

If you are divorced, on arrival in Thailand take any information and documents plus passport to the umphur. I'd suggest having someone to translate accompany you too.

It should just be a matter of confirming your identify and the umphur will issue you your copy of the divorce certificate.

Sorry I can't recommend a lawyer.

I have had a Thai speaker call the Bangrak Amphur to check on this for me. The person at the Amphur advised that I should contact my embassy in Bangkok. I have emailed them and they have told me to contact the Amphur. There is nothing registered in my home country at the Family Courts and have had no luck contacting the Thai Embassy here.