Killing A Crazy Dog

lungmi

I assisted today to a drama in the neighbourhood. A family dog killed another family dog (a small poodle) in an atrocious way. We could not stop him.

Knowing something about crazy humans and dogs (not big difference) I advised the family to ask a vet to give peaceful dead to this crazy dog.

There is a baby (18 months), may be the next victim. Psychiatric cliniques for dogs don't exist in our area. I have pity for the murder dog, but by rational clearing I have to say: Kill him.

What do you think?

I don't think you can compare a dog to a human. The reasons for killing are entirely different. Unless the dog arranged the body in a symbolic form then masturbated over the corpse, that is. If it seems the only option is execution, we have failed. There is always another option even if we can't see it. The responsibility for action taken lies with the owners, and a monk should never advise killing though a layman could. To kill or not to kill is a question that will plague us until all humanity are dead. So, next month, according to the Mayans.

I don't think you can compare a dog to a human. The reasons for killing are entirely different. Unless the dog arranged the body in a symbolic form then masturbated over the corpse, that is. If it seems the only option is execution, we have failed. There is always another option even if we can't see it. The responsibility for action taken lies with the owners, and a monk should never advise killing though a layman could. To kill or not to kill is a question that will plague us until all humanity are dead. So, next month, according to the Mayans.

I don't compare 100% a dog to a human. A crazy human killer has the support of psychologist, a dog no.

A monk can advise the killing to protect the higher value of human life considering the circumstances.

I think its a hypothetical question you just thought of

Not hypothetical, real fact, I love this dog but I love more the baby who can be the next victim. I know about

dogs in Thailand, I never had problems. Recently a dog bites me to protect her babies. She was right, me stupid.

A fox in a hen court killing in a blood inebratrion all, this was my impression.

I don't compare 100% a dog to a human. A crazy human killer has the support of psychologist, a dog no.

A monk can advise the killing to protect the higher value of human life considering the circumstances.

I don't think so. And if a monk did advise killing it would need to be a certainty that it would save others. The dog killed another dog, perhaps over territory or food. Not likely it was about lack of affection as Thais rarely if ever pet their dogs. They're just fed and left to their own devices. The only dogs I've heard of killing babies did so because the baby came after the dog and the owners switched attention from the pet to the child.

In the country I live in, the welfare of animals is taken very seriously by the authorities.

This however is superceded by the need to ensure the welfare of the general public.

After careful consideration, a dog which has killed will be humanely euthanazed, ensuring the safety of the general public.

Regardless of any discussion that could be put forward, such a dog is potentially lethal if allowed amongst small children and infants, if not adults themselves.

Dogs, unlike humans, with our current technologies, dogs cannot undergo rehabilitation, and if such techniques did exist, the cost would be prohibitive.

The only alternative is to provide an institution where the dog can live out the remainder of its life under strict supervision.

Of course as the cost for such treatment would be prohibitive, especially in a country such as Thailand where humans find themsleves living in quite miserable circumstances, this is not a viable alternative.

Giving the order for such a thing is another question.

I believe this should fall under Local Government and Legal Authorities.

Edited by rockyysdt

In the country I live in, the welfare of animals is taken very seriously by the authorities.

This however is superceded by the need to ensure the welfare of the general public.

After careful consideration, a dog which has killed will be humanely euthanazed, ensuring the safety of the general public.

Regardless of any discussion that could be put forward, such a dog is potentially lethal if allowed amongst small children and infants, if not adults themselves.

Dogs, unlike humans, with our current technologies, dogs cannot undergo rehabilitation, and if such techniques did exist, the cost would be prohibitive.

The only alternative is to provide an institution where the dog can live out the remainder of its life under strict supervision.

Of course as the cost for such treatment would be prohibitive, especially in a country such as Thailand where humans find themsleves living in quite miserable circumstances, this is not a viable alternative.

Giving the order for such a thing is another question.

I believe this should fall under Local Government and Legal Authorities.

What me and the neighbours upsets is the untypical behaviour of the dog. Living together for years in a family, a big dog kills a small dog who offered his throat as sign of submission. Normally by natural reflex the winner dog stops what I saw many times. Here not, may be rabies. The dog disappears.

We will see.

Sadly its one of those situations we are powerless to resolve. The dog does sound very unstable. Killing another dog that has submitted is unusual. I feel sorry for the family, and you Lungmi for your involvement. At least you care and are trying to do what is best.

What me and the neighbours upsets is the untypical behaviour of the dog. Living together for years in a family, a big dog kills a small dog who offered his throat as sign of submission. Normally by natural reflex the winner dog stops what I saw many times. Here not, may be rabies. The dog disappears.

We will see.

A dog like humans may have mental traumatism that comes from earlier experience. One of my dog when he was still a young puppy was attacked by two small dogs like the picture below. He was on his back peeing on himself while the two dogs were viciously attacking him on both side. He was totally terrorized. Luckily I was just nearby able to kick the dogs away.

10 years later my dog is one of the nicest dog in the world. Never has problem with any other dog. Except when he see a dog like that. Then I better have him on a leash, I think if he can catch one he will tear it apart.

roysicles.jpg

Maybe your dog had a similar experience, who knows.

Edited by JurgenG

Sadly its one of those situations we are powerless to resolve. The dog does sound very unstable. Killing another dog that has submitted is unusual. I feel sorry for the family, and you Lungmi for yo of thefamilyur involvement. At least you care and are trying to do what is best.

You have a very good understanding of my understanding. I thank you very much. I love the "killing" dog, but I love the baby a little bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

The 18 months old baby is yours, while the killer dog isn't? That would explain everything. Just keep the toddler off the street, that's not a playground anyway, and keep your gate closed. I don't think a dog must die just because you choose to be careless.

Hmmm... I totally Disagree with you. If you say KILL HIM= you are going to do a sin

A person can do sins three ways

1. Bodyily action= do something with body or action with body

2. verbal Action= saying or giving orders to kill or harm others, your saying can kill someone or something or some living beings

3. Mental Actional= thinking to kill someone or some living beings

These threes things are happening when someone is doing bad deeds

Thats why, your speech falling in # 2.... you dont kill but you tell someone to KILL HIM

How about getting the dog neutered? That usually calms down rowdy males. There is a dog here I'm considering getting castrated. He's no threat to humans, but he fights all other dogs and we have some new puppies he'll start on when they're old enough. Technically Desi is right, though it is hard to keep the precepts 100% all the time. For example what about euthanasia for a cancer patient who asks for death because their pain is unbareable? Also we eat meat which does not grow on trees. Killing is wrong, and we do get a Kamma debt for it, but outside of a perfect society it is almost unavoidable. Having him neutered would not be an act of violence either as the dog would be anaesthetised. And because he could not father puppies it'll reduce suffering all around.

The problem is nearly resolved. The dog came back. The veterinarian checked him for rabies - negative. Then he suggested to close the dog inside the place.

Every time when he wants to go out, give him free, but close the baby inside the house at this time. Supervise the behaviour of the dog, give him food and attention.

What JurgenG posted can be a reason for this "unnatural" behaviour, the vet confirmed.

Thank you for your posts.

Edited by lungmi