Do You Plan To Carry A Passport Copy From Now On?

Do you plan to carry a passport copy from now on?  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just carry my old, expired driver's license from the homeland. When asked to see it, I've been "okayed" and can go my way. I'd best knock on wood now!

If it's a long trip, I'll have my passport too. Sometimes carry a copy, and I think copying the front and visa pages is and having them handy is a good idea... better than my expired license! Maybe I'll do that.

I have been stopped three times this month during motorcycle checks. Once I had to show registration and Thai drivers license, the other two times just the Thai drivers license. All situations have been cordial, and quick. (one though was just off Suhkumvit, and another 3 km away in JomTien, within 5 minutes apart). When I mentioned this the officer asked if I rode JomTien beach every day, and I told him only once a week. I think he wanted to remember me for the next time, and did not want to keep pulling me over. Thought that was nice.

I could be wrong, but i do not think checking passport falls under police jurisdiction. They do not know anything about Visa's and large majority can not even read English.

Any id should be sufficient enough to prove your identity, i do not think passport is a requirement, unless its some kind of extortion.

For a stop by the "BIB," e.g. the routine traffic stop police, you are correct.

However, if you are in a situation where the Immigrations Police are present, you might find yourself in an awkward situation if you don't have your passport. It's not uncommon to read that the Immigrations Police are present at raids at night spots. The BIB ("regular police") are simply interested in identifying who you are, so a driver license or photocopy of passport satisfies them. The Immigrations Police, however, are interested in verifying that you entered the country legally and are not on overstay, and will not be amused if you cannot provide your passport.

Yes but the immigration police are the very ones that can verify your visa status with just your passport number that is conveniently printed on your Thai dl.

No, I know the law. I need to carry ID (Thai Driving Licence) and if requested to present my passport I must do so within a reasonable time, so I'll make sure I take it with me if I leave the province I'm in.

Residing here in Pattaya I applied for an Thai Drivers License, the first time application was for one year, ... I reapplied for a 5 yrs license and had no problem and keep it in my Man-purse.. a fanny pack that houses many travel needs, one can get this fanny pack from the Naval base on top of Buddha hill, one can like me modify this with pig-skin.. a light breathable material that I glued on..this took most of my day and enjoyed it being a challenge.. I keep my folding wallet attached with fish leader wire so it can not be moved out of my sight. I sewed on a leather pocket knife which is in valuable for any quick needs for a knife or screw driver. In side pockets I keep band aids, tea tree oil and sort of a first aid kit items compiled for travel..you can modify to your needs. I am an engineer so insight on making or preventing future problems I seem to find easy. I will try and post a picture of my Man-pack...trust this gives you some insight in making life more safe and enjoyable.. Mr. Ron

I never carry an Id with me in Thailand and I have never been asked to provide any id.

If required I will go back to my place or ring my girlfriend to bring my passport.

More hassle losing a passport than any risk of some one asking to see it.

And if you don't have a girlfriend or somebody else to bring your passport, what will happen then? Spending time in a cell at the police would for sure be more hassle for me compared to get a new passport.

Yes I would never get girl friend to bring passport..or give her any opportunity to bring it to me...just a photo copy kept in wallet is best...I have quoted on a personal Man-purse that can be purchased here in Pattaya just scroll down and look for my picture..Mr Ron

Don't carry the passport on me mainly due to it getting degraded over time (folding, perspiration, accidentally washed, etc.) Having a scanner and 2-sided printer at home, I keep a current copy, including the name page, original visa page, current visa (retirement) extension, re-entry permit, most recent entry stamp, and TM6 departure card. I can easily fit all that on both sides of the paper at 1:1 sizing. It's easy to update just the portions that change (such as a new entry stamp) as needed. This copy also serves for any passport copies I need to submit with immigration throughout the year, such as for 90 day reports or for a new re-entry permit.

Also have a big enough screen on the smart phone that I keep a .pdf copy on the phone now too.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Just some info from immigration act. Source: http://www.immigrati...gration_Act.pdf

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 12 1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a

genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai

Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.

Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial

Regulations.

Section 54 : Any alien who enters or come to stay in the Kingdom without permission or when such

permission expires or is revoked , the competent official will deport such alien out of the Kingdom.

Reading through the above it would appear that if immigration really got nasty about not having your passport with you it could lead to deportation.

Edited by ubonjoe

I could be wrong, but i do not think checking passport falls under police jurisdiction. They do not know anything about Visa's and large majority can not even read English.

Any id should be sufficient enough to prove your identity, i do not think passport is a requirement, unless its some kind of extortion.

Around Asok area, the passport checking scam and fines for smoking is very frequent.

From personal experience, few years back, i was pulled up for smoking(well throwing the butt away), they wanted 2000 baht fine, and for me to sign some papers in Thai.

I refused to sign or pay and told them to take me into police station.

After some "thinking time" they let me go with 100 baht donation and never bothered me again.

You did the right thing asking to be taken to the station. Those uniformed officers "fining" tourists for dropping cigarette butts are not regular police officers but BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Authority) officers commonly referred to as Tessakit. The correct fine is THB100 and must come with a receipt. The trick they are using is that under BMA city ordinance the maximum fine is set at THB2000 for littering and THB10,000 for polluting a waterway (that's why putting a butt down a drain makes it worse) but as the maximum fines they are intended for serious offences, not just arbitrarily meted out by an officer on the street.

These are the same guys that collect "cleaning fees" from every street vendor. They don't carry guns and don't have the power of arrest. To have you arrested they would have to call the real police from the local precinct which they will never do. They absolutely don't have the power to demand your passport but of course tourists don't know that so it's part of their intimidation tactic.

If you have really committed the offence, pay them 100 but demand a receipt. If they ask for more or you haven't dropped any litter, stand your ground and ask for the local police to attend. Don't discuss else anything with them. They will soon walk away.

Thanks for the good advice, my mate was here on holiday and got done near Pantip , they got him for the $2000 Baht . I said to him later 500 is plenty, but after reading your coment start at 100B and hold your ground. They should arrest those Indian guys> you lucky man also scaming farangs and the nigerian drug dealers, not the good guys that feed the economy.

Just some info from immigration act. Source: http://www.immigrati...gration_Act.pdf

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 12 1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a

genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai

Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.

Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial

Regulations.

Section 54 : Any alien who enters or come to stay in the Kingdom without permission or when such

permission expires or is revoked , the competent official will deport such alien out of the Kingdom.

Reading through the above it would appear that if immigration really got nasty about not having your passport with you it could lead to deportation.

What you quoted just says that you should have the correct documentation. It doesn't say anything about having your passport with you.

Around Asok area, the passport checking scam and fines for smoking is very frequent.

From personal experience, few years back, i was pulled up for smoking(well throwing the butt away), they wanted 2000 baht fine, and for me to sign some papers in Thai.

I refused to sign or pay and told them to take me into police station.

After some "thinking time" they let me go with 100 baht donation and never bothered me again.

DITTO! Same thing happened to me. They're probably not even real police; It's just a scam. I also donated 100 baht for their lame effort.

No, I know the law. I need to carry ID (Thai Driving Licence) and if requested to present my passport I must do so within a reasonable time, so I'll make sure I take it with me if I leave the province I'm in.

Residing here in Pattaya I applied for an Thai Drivers License, the first time application was for one year, ... I reapplied for a 5 yrs license and had no problem and keep it in my Man-purse.. a fanny pack that houses many travel needs, one can get this fanny pack from the Naval base on top of Buddha hill, one can like me modify this with pig-skin.. a light breathable material that I glued on..this took most of my day and enjoyed it being a challenge.. I keep my folding wallet attached with fish leader wire so it can not be moved out of my sight. I sewed on a leather pocket knife which is in valuable for any quick needs for a knife or screw driver. In side pockets I keep band aids, tea tree oil and sort of a first aid kit items compiled for travel..you can modify to your needs. I am an engineer so insight on making or preventing future problems I seem to find easy. I will try and post a picture of my Man-pack...trust this gives you some insight in making life more safe and enjoyable.. Mr. Ron

You're like the MALE Martha Stuart! You should have your own TV show. I'm not sure if you should post a picture of your "Man-pack", some people have been arrested for that or at very least diminish any possibility for a career in politics.

Edited by TimTang
  • Like 1

I got stopped a few weeks ago on Sukhumvit soi 22 in the middle of the afternoon and asked to show mine - I showed them my Thai drivers license and they let me go on my way.

Seemed very random - I was sober (for a change!) and reasonably presentable.

Must of stood out..

Don't carry the passport on me mainly due to it getting degraded over time (folding, perspiration, accidentally washed, etc.) Having a scanner and 2-sided printer at home, I keep a current copy, including the name page, original visa page, current visa (retirement) extension, re-entry permit, most recent entry stamp, and TM6 departure card. I can easily fit all that on both sides of the paper at 1:1 sizing. It's easy to update just the portions that change (such as a new entry stamp) as needed. This copy also serves for any passport copies I need to submit with immigration throughout the year, such as for 90 day reports or for a new re-entry permit.

Also have a big enough screen on the smart phone that I keep a .pdf copy on the phone now too.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect App

What a fantastic idea I just took a pic of my front page then visa and departure card on my Iphone came out perfect, you have won the liquid medal for this week my friend.smile.png
  • Like 1

Regulations.

Note: Use of "ALSO" in the rules, you do understand what "also" means, do you?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

although the passport copy is handy to have since all stores will ask for it when opening an account -- not necessarily a charge account, but an account to accumulate points or whatever. (They usually ask for your passport but settle for a photocopy.)

Na, they usually go for the Thai address in your driving license!

Where is your Thai address on your driving licence. Mine only shows my passport Number.

although the passport copy is handy to have since all stores will ask for it when opening an account -- not necessarily a charge account, but an account to accumulate points or whatever. (They usually ask for your passport but settle for a photocopy.)

Where is your Thai address on your driving licence. Mine only shows my passport Number.

On the back

Me 2.

To the OP; where have you observed the searches taking place? I haven't seen any searches taking place and I frequent the well known tourist haunts of Bkk a few days every month.

Foreign Driving Licence is fine. (anything that can be used as an ID card... photo, name, date of birth, address etc)

Police checks are usually at night in 'nigh life' areas... (usually checking for illegal items,, drugs etc)

during the day are less frequent.

basically: if you have a (foreign) Driving Licence on you,,, and you dont have anything illegal, then you are fine.

PS: if you carry medication with you, you MUST also carry the hospital sticker or proof that your medication is from a hospital.. (otherwise they will try to do you for illegal drugs!) if its at night you had better hope your meds are from a hospital that has a decent (helpful) operator,, so they can confirm (to the police) that the medications were in fact given by a doctor.

- this happened to a couple of friends, so I know its good advice (if you have any medications)

I don't carry copies. I normally have my passport with me at all times unless it is a short trip around town (never in village).

I have have never understood peoples paranoia about carrying their passports with them. In over 35 years of regular trips (for work) to many countries plus here I have never lost or had my passport stolen.

Well, lucky you then. IMO, it is rank stupid to carry your passport everywhere with you because the chances of loss are always great. The combination of financial cost (14,000 baht plus in my case to replace the document + visas), massive hassles and wasted time resulting from losing a passport means you should only carry it in essential cases. These are cases where it is imperative that you show the original document. The vast majority of the time, a copy of the picture page is all you need to be allowed to go on your way by the police or anyone else who has the right to ask to see your passport..

I was stopped recently on Suk near Ekamai just after dark by two policemen on a motorbike. One approached and asked what I was doing. He was very polite and asked to look in my small bag. Sure, I said. He looked. I had another bag with a camera and asked if he wanted to look in it. He said no. Asked if he wanted to see my driver's license. He said no, no problem. Some small talk followed, he thanked me an left.

Seemed a bit strange at the time.

Take a look at the back.

My last 5 year license did not have my address on the back. Only my most recent 5 year has my address on the back. Both were of the new plastic type. No idea why this was. I asked and remember hearing something about my visa but didn't quite make sense to me.

Don't go NOWHERE without my passport...thirty five years here dealing with this lot...but still...

So......, how many times did you have to show it, in police controls?

That also depends on where you travel and the colour of your skin. Normally it doesn't happen, but in border areas I have been checked very often.