Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope we dont get that tipping thing going here in Thailand. I dont really care what someones home situation might be, and usually none of us know what someones family life might be, so why give a 50% tip, do you do that back home too? Most of the service that you get in Thailand, doesnt deserve a tip, but if it does, then give it. Getting a massage from someone that is more interested in chatting with her friends or on the phone, doesnt deserve anything.

• Like 2

You have paid the requested rate for the job why should a tip be expected. Certainly not at the 50% and 100% rates being suggested here.

Unforunately the lady that does the work doesn't set the price.In fact she has to give the biggest part of the payment to the owner of the massage.

So yes, she deserves a tip since otherwise she will not make the 300 Baht minimum salary a day.

• Like 1

So yes, she deserves a tip since otherwise she will not make the 300 Baht minimum salary a day.

I don't recall reading that the minimum wage should be made up by a customer......I thought it was the owner of the business that had to ensure it? However, as with other services, tip if the service is good, if not, then leave it......the message might hit home at some point.

• Like 2

I don't recall reading that the minimum wage should be made up by a customer......I thought it was the owner of the business that had to ensure it? However, as with other services, tip if the service is good, if not, then leave it......the message might hit home at some point.

You're right about that, but let me tell you a secret.

If the owner of the business would have to guarantee that those ladies each own the minimum salary as set by the government, then the price would not be 99 Baht an hour, but a multiple of that. smile.png

If the owner of the business would have to guarantee that those ladies each own the minimum salary as set by the government, then the price would not be 99 Baht an hour, but a multiple of that. smile.png

In that case maybe they would concentrate on what they supposed to do and do the best that they can, otherwise they'll be out of work. It's survival of the fittest and not my problem.

Why subsidise sub standard service? As I said, if the job is done well or even a good attempt is made, tip and tip well.

I don't mind paying a 'multiple of that' provided I get a really good massage, but I don't go to massage places for a girl to flatter me for an hour and then expect a tip for doing so.

Remove massage lady from the equation and replace with spare parts random at a Ford dealership I just spent Bt.10000.00 at. what tip should I provide given the excellent service received ?

I chose zero and paid what was on the invoice but what do you peoples reckon, am I a cheap charlie for not tossing her some coin, after all she only did the job she her employer is paying her to do.

Do they have a happy ending option at Ford?
  • Like 1

In that case maybe they would concentrate on what they supposed to do and do the best that they can, otherwise they'll be out of work. It's survival of the fittest and not my problem.

Why subsidise sub standard service? As I said, if the job is done well or even a good attempt is made, tip and tip well.

I don't mind paying a 'multiple of that' provided I get a really good massage, but I don't go to massage places for a girl to flatter me for an hour and then expect a tip for doing so.

But I didn't notice the OP mentionimng anything about below standard service.

Remove massage lady from the equation and replace with spare parts random at a Ford dealership I just spent Bt.10000.00 at. what tip should I provide given the excellent service received ?

I chose zero and paid what was on the invoice but what do you peoples reckon, am I a cheap charlie for not tossing her some coin, after all she only did the job she her employer is paying her to do.

A happy ending whether it be at Ford or a massage joint would be expressed as a value adder and yes it should be paid for if price agreed and service received either of which has zero to do with tipping a person that is merely doing the job they are paid to do.

yes u should tip. 100 baht is just to get you in the door. come on even a 60baht tip is like $2. plus the ladies will recognise your face and give u a shit massage.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Correct imho.

If no one tipped then these prices wouldnt be sustainable. The women are working for tips. Some guys here dont have a heart at all.

Maybe if the tips stopped then the business owners would be forced to pay the workers a proper wage.

• Like 2

yes u should tip. 100 baht is just to get you in the door. come on even a 60baht tip is like $2. plus the ladies will recognise your face and give u a shit massage.

Correct imho.

If no one tipped then these prices wouldnt be sustainable. The women are working for tips. Some guys here dont have a heart at all.

Maybe if the tips stopped then the business owners would be forced to pay the workers a proper wage.

May be if the business owners charged 300 baht instead of 100, then people will be complaining about the prices

• Like 1

i spoke to a lady from eden massage. they are a very good massage shop. i started to ask her about this 99baht promotion and wat type of tip they want. she said for foreigner 60bHt to 100. she told me if a customer comes in and doesnt tip next time she will tell other ladies and u will get a rubbish massage.

Correct imho.

Maybe if the tips stopped them the owners would be forced to raise prices.

I tip standard 100 thb for all my massages. If they do a crap job, I don't go back. If they do a great job, I return and ask for them by name.

To each his own. I do know for a fact that these works rely on tips and if the norm was to not get them they would go find other work which in turn would force the process to go up so that the owners could maintain staff.

I can also tell you if you have a habit of not tipping then you will always need to go to a new place as the quality of service you receive will greatly diminish.

In case there is doubt here, I am strictly speaking about a proper massage. I never could understand guys that go to a massage parlor for sexual services especially in a town like pattaya where sex workers are so abundant.

Edited by Jayman

Just the lube service

• Like 1

I speak Thai so the employee and I agree before I sit down how I want to be massaged. All I ask is for the employee not to push anywhere with the palm of her hand. It's lazy/painful or just knocks the wind out of me. Then I come for peace and relaxation. If she speaks to her fellow employee about anything non emergency, I dock my intended tip. Given the previous 2 points are rarely respected....The end is usually 20% tip.