Am I A Cheap Charlie If I Don't Tip?

meatballs

I think you know the answer to your question or you would not have asked it. To those oppose to giving tip, is it really going to change your lifestyle parting with an extra 20 or 40 baht or even a little more when the circumstance demand it? It's a very small amount and it makes someone happy. Yes life is not always about what makes you happy. Believe it or not to many people the act of making someone else happy, has its own reward. Doesn't always have to be about you!

• Like 2

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes u should tip. 100 baht is just to get you in the door. come on even a 60baht tip is like $2. plus the ladies will recognise your face and give u a shit massage.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Correct imho.

If no one tipped then these prices wouldnt be sustainable. The women are working for tips. Some guys here dont have a heart at all.

Maybe if the tips stopped then the business owners would be forced to pay the workers a proper wage.

May be if the business owners charged 300 baht instead of 100, then people will be complaining about the prices

Where did you go to school? I always thought that 100 + 50 or 100 would be rather less than 300 though I haven't got my calculator handy at the moment to check!!

Where did you go to school? I always thought that 100 + 50 or 100 would be rather less than 300 though I haven't got my calculator handy at the moment to check!!

what does your calculation have to do with my post or wages? i guess i went to school where they teach basic economicsthumbsup.gif

I speak Thai so the employee and I agree before I sit down how I want to be massaged. All I ask is for the employee not to push anywhere with the palm of her hand. It's lazy/painful or just knocks the wind out of me. Then I come for peace and relaxation. If she speaks to her fellow employee about anything non emergency, I dock my intended tip. Given the previous 2 points are rarely respected....The end is usually 20% tip.

So basically your formula = 20 Baht.

This article is a little dated, but still useful. tipping around the world

P.S. Tipping is said to have originated in sixteenth-century England, and though it has since spread across the globe, England has by and large gone the way of most of Europe: Tips are included in many bills, especially in formal settings, and discretion is key in handing them over.

An easy way out of your predicament is to take a look at your watch when massage

actually start, and then take a look when massage stopped.

If she cut you short on agreed time, -no tip.

If she spent more time than contracted, -tip.

Those who do not tip for a good service are CC's

I think my mailman gives a very good service, should I give him a tip? rolleyes.gif

Yes you should because good postmen in Thailand are an endangered specimen biggrin.png Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

The prices for massage in Pattaya have not gone up for years.

And in fact many places are offering cheaper prices than years ago.

If customers didnt tip and tip well then these places would become unsustainable.

Tipping is factored in as part of the business model.

Car service centres, and many other businesses are different business models and are not reliant on tips to survive. If the majority of people did not tip or tipped very frugally these massage places would be forced to raise their rates.

Cheap charlies are bludging of the rest of us who give tips no matter what pathetic rationale they decide to come up with for withholding tips eg talking out of turn blink.png

Well said, most people have no knowledge about how those massage ladiies are exploited by the massage owners, which are always in a win - win situation where the ladies have to struggle to survive.

Worse than that: the price has gone down to half what it was 5 years ago !

I remember it was 200 baht in nearly all massage places in Soi Buakhao,

Then the price slowly went down to 150, and now many places at 100 baht (or 99 wink.png) for a Thai massage...!

I used to give 40 baht 5 years ago at 200 baht massage. I now often give 50 baht for a 100 baht one blink.png

I do thing they go in the wrong business direction of the American mandatory tips... sad.png

In places I go, most guys give 40-60 baht tip; I already saw 100 whistling.gif , but saw guys giving Zero too sad.png

My point is they should not ask for prices below 200. It's what it worths I think. Expecting too high tips is a bad business model.

yes u should tip. 100 baht is just to get you in the door. come on even a 60baht tip is like $2. plus the ladies will recognise your face and give u a shit massage.

Thus ensuring that they won't be getting a tip this time either or that the customer would never return. Of course the very idea that a Thai would wonder what it was that he/she did, or didn't do, thus being not deserving of monetary recognition of supplying a good service, is preposterous.

I will only give a 20 baht tip at a gas station if the offer to clean my windscreen and check my tyre pressures is made. If I assent and they carry out these chores, then the tip miraculously becomes 50 baht.

My wife was in the massage business in central Thailand and she claims that all Thai do tip. Most shops that cater to the Thai charge 150 - 200 for a one or two hour standard Thai massage. Generally that fee is split 50/50. Thai will usually tip 20 baht per hour; sometimes more. No tip is considered rude.

If a farong/tourist did not tip for an at least half-way decent massage, it would be just wrong.

Personally I tip 50 to 100 baht depending on the quality of the work.

I just don't understand cheap charlies. I guess I'm flawed.

Another way is to have a look at your country's foreign aid.

As a tax payer, you are paying a compulsory charity, while private tipping is voluntary charity.

So if your country pay above average, you already out-tip voluntary tippers,

while those who's country are cheap may want to improve their karma

post-136786-0-80330500-1352961283_thumb.

I think the percentage calculation is not the issue. A small tip of 20 to 50 baht regardless of the cost of service is not outrageous for most foreigners and I would tip service guys when they come to fix my internet for free, or I will add something to a bar bill and think nothing of it.

Thais, just like me, don't think in percentage terms but only in terms of "nam-chai" or "hai gamlang chai". So I do think the OP is a cheap charlie and so will those who he doesn't tip something for a massage or other things where it is common practice.

Had my hair cut this morning. The lady barber took about 20 minutes to do a good job for a charge of 60B to which I added 10B tip (which represents 16%). She seemed pleased enough and the total seems reasonable when compared to the national minimal daily wage of 300B which many people dont get anyway.

Don't quite see why anyone, anywhere could possibly deserve more than 20% no matter how good the job is. (Many people seem to have forgotten that you are supposed to do a good job simply in return for what you are paid, even without the incentive of any sort of tip.) Anyone who tips 50 or 100% just seems ostentatious to me.

That's not a tip that is an insult.

And in fact many places are offering cheaper prices than years ago.

If customers didnt tip and tip well then these places would become unsustainable.

Tipping is factored in as part of the business model.

Car service centres, and many other businesses are different business models and are not reliant on tips to survive. If the majority of people did not tip or tipped very frugally these massage places would be forced to raise their rates.

Cheap charlies are bludging of the rest of us who give tips no matter what pathetic rationale they decide to come up with for withholding tips eg talking out of turn blink.png

Well said, most people have no knowledge about how those massage ladiies are exploited by the massage owners, which are always in a win - win situation where the ladies have to struggle to survive.

That may be so, but I certainly didn't come to Thailand on a crusade to save massage ladies.

Increase your tips to stave off a price increase. wink.png

• Like 1

Thus ensuring that they won't be getting a tip this time either or that the customer would never return. Of course the very idea that a Thai would wonder what it was that he/she did, or didn't do, thus being not deserving of monetary recognition of supplying a good service, is preposterous.

I will only give a 20 baht tip at a gas station if the offer to clean my windscreen and check my tyre pressures is made. If I assent and they carry out these chores, then the tip miraculously becomes 50 baht.

So you'll tip the gas station attendant for 2 min of work but not the massage worker that has to rub your feet or body for an hour?

Edited by Jayman

I took baht bus from Pattaya front Walking Street. Made the right turn and I went to Jomtien. I was only passenger for the trip. When I got off I gave the driver 20 baht and he tried to give me my 10 baht change. I waved him off as I was only passenger. He broke into a big smile and so did I. We both waved bye. He felt good and I felt good. Yes, I know 100% tip. $.30 US. Same with tipping for a message. It's how you feel for good service. If it makes YOU feel good then tip if not don't.

This sounds like a real love story. You still meet up some times?biggrin.png
  • Like 2

Had my hair cut this morning. The lady barber took about 20 minutes to do a good job for a charge of 60B to which I added 10B tip (which represents 16%). She seemed pleased enough and the total seems reasonable when compared to the national minimal daily wage of 300B which many people dont get anyway.

Don't quite see why anyone, anywhere could possibly deserve more than 20% no matter how good the job is. (Many people seem to have forgotten that you are supposed to do a good job simply in return for what you are paid, even without the incentive of any sort of tip.) Anyone who tips 50 or 100% just seems ostentatious to me.

+1

absolutely correct

I'm just wondering if you guys/gals that don't feel it's appropriate to tip the masseuse ever tip your servers in bars and restaurants. When comparing the 2 jobs, I see a drink server getting 20thb tips for carrying a drink to a customer that takes little time and effort. When I see how much time and effort goes into giving a massage I personally feel that warrants a higher tip. Especially when considering how little they are paid for this.

I will say that I have a lady that comes to our house for massage sessions and I don't feel the need to tip her since she is not working for anyone and she receives the full amount that is paid for the massage. Unlike the girl in the massage shop that gets but a fraction and spends all day in line waiting for customers.

Tip is NOT essential - why do so many foreigners worry what the Thais will think of them?

Do you tip the dentist, doctor?

Why not ask the woman is she expects a tip before you go in? If she says yes, go elsewhere. If she says no, fine. Are you scared of these women?

Tip the barber, why? This is not the USA. I've spoken to many barbers/hairdressers over the years about this and they mostly say that they are insulted when stupid foreigners give them a tip.