Old Car...needs New Paint Job?

SteeleJoe

I'm considering a new paint job for a very old (20 yo) car I picked up recently. It's in such excellent condition otherwise (owned by a very cautious female relative who had it perfectly maintained) that I'm tempted to make it look as good outside as it does otherwise. And it might even help the resale value if I unload it ina couple years (though I realize that with a car this old, that may not be so).

I don't want to spend an huge amount of money on a car that may not last that long, so I wouldn't want the top of the line paint job. On the other hand, there's no point in getting it if it doesn't look pretty good.

Anyone have any experience with getting paint jobs and have an idea about prices?

Anyone know the specifics of a good (if not great) paint job and what I should make sure I get?

*I'm also considering having some very minor restoration on the interior so as to fix some very few and minor flaws that come with age and to replace some of the rubber etc -- any ideas about good shops?

As always I thank you in advance if anyone has some info and can take the time and trouble to give some input.

Leave it as it is. Spend money under the hood. It'll get scratch up by motorcycles. Leave it a rust bucket.

Actually, it's not even a rust bucket. The paint job looks remarkably good for 20 years old; just faded and with a few minor scratches and stains.

I specifically didn't ask if I should paint or not, as if one takes it merely in economic terms or applies ration, then it would be best to leave it. This would be purely an indulgence. The car was so cheap that I'm considering making it nicer for the person driving it.

EDIT:

But since it's been brought up: it has no obvious mechanical issues, runs well and my mechanic checked it out and said it was great. But what would I spend money on under the hood if I were so inclined?

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thanks Arkom.

My mechanic said I could get one for 20,000 but 1) I wonder if that's a reasonable price and 2) If that's TOO cheap -- in other words would it likely be a really crap paint job at that price

So I'm just hoping with some varied input I might better gauge what a decent one should cost.

Thanks Arkom.

My mechanic said I could get one for 20,000 but 1) I wonder if that's a reasonable price and 2) If that's TOO cheap -- in other words would it likely be a really crap paint job at that price

So I'm just hoping with some varied input I might better gauge what a decent one should cost.

I think it would be best to just go to a shop and get a quote. You also be able to look at their work and see the quality yourself.

Just get a can of this and go to town

1875d1246414989-duplicolor-auto-spray-paint-universal-black-starlight-black-pearl-1998-prelude-dup-ds100-400.jpg

Just get a can of this and go to town

1875d1246414989-duplicolor-auto-spray-paint-universal-black-starlight-black-pearl-1998-prelude-dup-ds100-400.jpg

:)

Thanks for all the help and your positive outlook. I got your message. (Meanwhile others found prices considerably lower than what you confidently declared was the bottom and manged to pass on some info without editorializing.)

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thanks Arkom.

I think it would be best to just go to a shop and get a quote. You also be able to look at their work and see the quality yourself.

Hmmm...that's suspiciously sensible. Like something someone with a brain might have thought of himself!

Good advice. Mind you I'll need to find time to seek one or two out which is not so easy for me to do...but clearly you are right.

If you go ahead with the respray, choose your paint shop carefully. It is not easy to tell the good ones unless someone can recommend one from experience. We repainted a Dmax a few years ago and it looked great for about 2 years until the paint started peeling. I am no paint expert but the top coat just did not adhere properly. Maybe the prep was poor or the paint mismatched.

...just had my old truck repainted .... nasty ding fixed , side light replaced plus new tailgate and odd motorbike dents etc...had it done under full comp insurance ..so no idea of price .

.BUT suggest if insurance company ( AIG) okay-ed it and since they value the truck at only 110k bt now...seems to me that it would have cost less than half the value...ergo maybe 40k+.?

A pure touch up paint job should therefore run somewhat less?

Think in your case would get a cheap and nasty done .....

Long time ago had the ex's rust bucket Toyota done in Canada I prepped it and it cost $150..irrelevant maybe but just pointing out that the prep is what costs.

I had my Colorado (black metallic) painted and it cost 20,000b including minor dent removal, this was in Sriracha.

Yeah? And it looks pretty good?

Cheers for that.

Came up great, initially it had a bit too much orange peel for my liking but they were happy to wet rub the paint flat and then polish.

I had my Colorado (black metallic) painted and it cost 20,000b including minor dent removal, this was in Sriracha.

Cheers for that.

Came up great, initially it had a bit too much orange peel for my liking but they were happy to wet rub the paint flat and then polish.

Good to know. Thanks very muchly. Not to be a pest but if you get a chance to post agian I'd be curious to know how long ago that was...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

You do not say where you live, friend has his 20 year old Toyota car booked in for a re spray next week , cost is 23,000 baht and includes some bodywork. The shop has a proper sealed paint booth and I had some work done there a couple of years ago which has stood the test of time. He had an alternative quote of 20,000 baht from a roadside shop no paint booth!

You do not say where you live, friend has his 20 year old Toyota car booked in for a re spray next week , cost is 23,000 baht and includes some bodywork. The shop has a proper sealed paint booth and I had some work done there a couple of years ago which has stood the test of time. He had an alternative quote of 20,000 baht from a roadside shop no paint booth!

Thanks John.

Sounds promising; unfortunately I'm certainly not centrally located -- we're in Thon Buri at the bottom of Bangkok maps --Suksawat Rd (in the vicinity of Phra Padaeng)

Will you go with a stock colour to keep it original or something different? Today's colours are so boring on mass produced cars - seemingly just silver gold, black and white. Don't be a lemming - get day-glo orangelaugh.png

Check out www.rcweb.net - there are a few paint shops advertised there, prices around 20-30K last time I looked. You can see some photos there too. Definitely pay a visit and check out their work and equipment they use.

Cheers for that.

Good to know. Thanks very muchly. Not to be a pest but if you get a chance to post agian I'd be curious to know how long ago that was...

Was about 2 yrs ago but the place will be doing a mates pickup in a few weeks (full respray plus minor dent repair) and they quoted him Bt,20,000 as well.

Will you go with a stock colour to keep it original or something different? Today's colours are so boring on mass produced cars - seemingly just silver gold, black and white. Don't be a lemming - get day-glo orangelaugh.png

Check out www.rcweb.net - there are a few paint shops advertised there, prices around 20-30K last time I looked. You can see some photos there too. Definitely pay a visit and check out their work and equipment they use.

I do want to change the color (it's white) but I may forgo the day-glo orange at this time...

Thanks for the info and site

Was about 2 yrs ago but the place will be doing a mates pickup in a few weeks (full respray plus minor dent repair) and they quoted him Bt,20,000 as well.

Great. I was really asking because I wanted to know how well it stood the test of time. 2 years is v good to know

Try this link - http://www.color-up.net/home.php

I can't look at the site well as my aircard is too slow. There may be some info and pics, but it looks to be all in Thai. It might cost more if you want the engine bay painted too, but most people don't seem to do that. If it's already white it should be easy to paint any colour over it. What car is it anyway?

The lowest price I was quoted ones for 15 y/o Honda City was 15k,but no dents and same color...while in TH you don't want to change color because it make the resale harder...

You didn't mention the car make...if it is Toyota,or Honda it make sense to invest some more money,if the car is OK...as to the some other makes,maybe not...

This is all good info and appreciated.

It's a 1992 Toyota Corolla (or is it a Corona?) I'd post a pic of the actual car if I knew how but that's it: run of the mill '92 Toyota in excellent condition (given it's age).

I don't care about the engine bay.

I do hope to get some money for it in a couple years (obviously not a lot) but I don't want to keep white; I'd not bother with a paint job if it has to stay the same color.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I believe there is an issue if you change to a different color in regards to vehicle registration.

Yes, I believe you have to go to motor vehicle dept. and register the change or it will cause problems in any future transfer of title during the inspection.