The Relationship Between Buddhism And Scamming

squarethecircle

I had a revealing conversation with a (Burmese Buddhist) mototaxi driver the other day who explained to me his philosophy behind "scamming" or "dishonesty" in his business. He actually seemed quite reasonable, and of high fluency which is why the conversation proceeded.

He explained that, apart from standard rates which are enforced by the taxi bureau where I am (tourists typically go on several standard routes whose fare is reasonable and enforced), he considers the offering of fares to be like a game of "relative honesty", I think basically not to screw the unknowing person over *too much* but enough so that he gets what he wants out of the person.

This seems to be true for many of the tuk-tuk's/mototaxis I've taken as well, particularly when I have made the mistake of forgetting to agree on a price beforehand. The price at the end of the trip is always more than what it should be based on fuel prices and a reasonable mark-up for time and vehicle cost, but it's usually not too much to be unjustifiable (except for a few times when they outrightly take advantage of you not knowing how close you are to somewhere...). Also they have a pretty good idea of how much they can get out of you based on how you're acting - for example, I paid 400 Baht for a taxi from BKK to downtown Bangkok my first time in the country, which is not unreasonable (I've come across people here saying they've paid as high as 900 Baht) but also around 100 baht more than the price by meter.

The reason I bring this up is that the Burmese guy I spoke with, and most of the Thai drivers who act this way, don't seem like total scumbags or mafia tuk-tuk drivers like I hear about on Phuket (who charge more than NYC or London taxis, which seems flat-out dishonest), but reasonably decent people within their cultural system.

So my question pertains to how this ties in with the Buddhist principles held by these taxi drivers. On the one hand, it seems clearly banned if they're actually practicing sila/morality, which forbids lying. On the other hand, it does not some like the ones like this guy are outrightly dishonest, but "honest enough" so that they don't feel it conflicts with their principles.

I'm curious if anyone can shed a bit more light on how they wrap the widespread morality of "relative honesty" while maintaining face of being Buddhists concerned with development on the path.

One thought I've had is that Buddha's teaching centers around self-sufficiency, since you can only rely on yourself to carry out a self-purifying life, so the fact that they're taking advantage of your lack of knowledge/preparation can be attributed to your failure to do to the work necessary to properly negotiate pricing. I don't know if they carry this teaching of the Buddha outside of a strictly religious context, but it would also explain other behaviors within the cultural system found in this part of the world, such as the way people seem to accept their station in life without the dissatisfaction (resulting in ambition) that's characteristic in my western country of origin.

Anyone have any comments or thoughts?

When some people want money, all other concepts are thrown out the window.

There are many takes on what 'honesty' is here in Thailand, from a western perspective.

Also, there's alot of 'mix and match' Buddhism here, just as there probably are in other religions - take what you want, and disgard what you don't.

There is no relationship between Buddhism and scamming. There's a relationship between dishonesty and scamming, though.

I hope you get an answer you're looking for, but with many things here, if you're not Thai you may never understand 100%.

Edited by hookedondhamma
  • Like 1

Let me share my experience of Buddhism and theft and members can make what they like out of it.

I employed a new maid at one of my hotels, who stole from all the rooms.

I mean she really went all the way on her first day, she cleaned out every single room.

Lucky all started to report to reception while she was still at work. I knew it was her, but could not prove anything and camera's did not show, because she

was very skilled, ie should wrapped notebook into bed linen(dirty) so no evidence she took anything out but dirty bed linen.

Anyhow, i started to search the hotel, as i knew all the stolen goods were still in the hotel, but could not find anything, checked the trash, everywhere.

Final solution was to call a friend, policeman.

Anyhow, after he had some "words" with her behind closed doors, she admitted to stealing(got to love confession rate in Thailand) and agreed to give it all up.

He, policeman, did not want to arrest her as he claimed she be out in few hours with no recourse at all, so he made her kneel and prey asking for forgiveness from Buddha.

He made her do it out loud, in front of all the guests and staff, he also made her swear that she has returned everything she stole and she would never steal again, All sworn to Buddha.

20 mins later, after she was gone, one of the guests discovered his watch was stolen.

So after swearing to Buddha, she returned everything, not only she lied, but did keep the stolen item

One month later, i noticed her bike parked at the neighboring hotel, i went to inform them, but was too late, she also stole from their guests.

So there you go, swore to Buddha, begged for forgiveness and business as usual

When some people want money, all other concepts are thrown out the window.

There are many takes on what 'honesty' is here in Thailand, from a western perspective.

Also, there's alot of 'mix and match' Buddhism here, just as there probably are in other religions - take what you want, and disgard what you don't.

There is no relationship between Buddhism and scamming. There's a relationship between dishonesty and scamming, though.

I hope you get an answer you're looking for, but with many things here, if you're not Thai you may never understand 100%.

Agreed, but it plays out differently here than in other places. I'm not talking about flat-out theft or criminal behavior. I'm curious about how the "honest enough" rationalization for what is not criminal behavior, just taking slight advantage of someone's (either local or foreigner) lack of knowledge, bridges in with their religious/philosophical scheme. It doesn't seem like criminal behavior or something that'll get them reborn as a lice on a rat, but doesn't seem 100% upfront.

I've never been "slightly ripped" in this way in western countries; there people are either upfront, or they totally jip you (or jip you just enough so that they won't get in trouble with the cops, eg: when my car got broken into, they stole a set of untraceable tools that are easily pawned but left my traceable/not-so-easy-to-get-away-with-stealing guitar), but this is also probably due to the fact that there's little or no negotiation in normal day-to-day business in the home country.

The thing about "if you're not Thai you may never understood 100%" doesn't apply either...the Burmese for one work similarly from what I've seen.

And for Hindu countries with a caste system it's different as well.

Same same in every religion. whistling.gif

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, and it's just a natural behavior when negotiation is a heavy part of the economy.

Yes, and when there are many slow days. How can a service provider who negotiates each sale be faulted for trying to make money? I don't see how this violates any Buddhist principals. All business is based on profit. His motive for working is not to give foreigners a good deal, he has to feed his family etc. I don't see the slightest thing unethical about trying to get a hefty fee. If a person doesn't negotiate the fee before purchasing something, whose fault is that?

• Like 1

^^^ Oh sorry about that. I was assuming we were talking about Thailand.

I base what I wrote from living in Thailand while having never lived in Burma.

For that reason I say `If you are not Thai you will never unserstand 100%' And if this is familiar to what you have experienced in Burma, then feel free to switch 'Thai' in the former sentence to 'Burmese'.

Once again, there is no relationship between Buddhism and scamming. People have different levels of ethics. Scamming is dishonest. Scamming can stem from dishonesty, or a sense of not knowing right from wrong. This is present everywhere, by the way.

The policeman made her lose face yet retain some by 'asking forgiveness' from the Lord Buddha. Her actions showed her level of ethics when she stole yet again. This is common here alobg with magical tatoos and praying the Buddha for health and material gain.

• Like 1

If you know you're doing something wrong, its wrong. Judging it to be a little or a lot does not change that. Doing something wrong through ignorance is a mistake, once. Having an excuse ready for what you're doing is premeditated wrongness. Doing it because everybody else does it, still wrong and encouraging others to do wrong. Can't feed the family? Don't breed. Adopt a dog. Doing all of the above whilst claiming to be religious? Well, probably has good intentions but its still wrong. Big deal. Its your Kamma, sunshine.

Like a number of other posters, it's naive to think Thai Buddhist are somehow above stealing simply because they are Buddhist. It's the same for all people and religions, that is, people don't really follow even the basic or core teachings of their religions.

The same way as the US government allows arms sales around the world by US manufacturers while claiming to be a Christian country, it's the same for Thailand which operates the only tobacco company in Thailand and openly tolerates prostitution throughout the country. The karma will eventually express itself for all of this, just maybe not during our lifetimes.

Not related directly to Buddhism, but I think there is some general logic to the pricing system:

1. Relative (geographical, familial) distance from the seller

2. Relative perceived ability to pay

and, for the less honest, also

3. Likelihood of getting away with it (aka. perceived gullibility of the scammee/probability of meeting again).

1 works something like this: Close family and close friends, you do not scam (unless you are desperate). Instead, you go out of your way to help them as much as you can, because they are the only support network you can rely on.

People in your perceived 'larger group' you charge the local price. For CNX where I live, this would be native speakers of Northern Thai, who are perceived as being similar enough to yourself, and thus also will probably know going rates, might be somebody you bump into again, or with whom you may even share mutual acquaintances or even distant family). Other compatriots, Asian looking speakers of accent-free Central Thai, get charged the local price if your service is common enough that the person could reasonably be aware of the going rate. It may also be subjected to a small mark-up, or a larger one, if they seem to be rich. Foreigners, who do not speak the local vernacular or Central Thai, are almost always assumed to have a fair bit of money and not be culturally savvy. If they negotiate well, are friendly and confident (takes practice to strike the right balance), they may still be able to get the regular price, or close to it. Foreigners who speak the local lingo tend to get the local price most of the time, but may still be lumped in with the greater group of foreigners now and then.

2. A poor Thai pays little. A rich Thai pays more (unless you think he might be helpful to you later). (Perceived) poor foreigner *may* get away with paying less, if he is polite/friendly/confident.

3. Needs no further explanation.

It doesn't have much to do with Buddhism.

• Like 1

I think you have a better chance finding a relationship between poverty and scamming (or trying to make some money one way or the other). It has not so much to do Buddhism.

You might also find a relationship between poverty and the way people practice and experience their religion. In poor countries like Thailand people tend to ask material things in their religious practice, winning the lottery, good results at school or in some business etc.

In these circumstances (poverty) lies i.m.o. also the difference between western forms of Buddhist practice and eastern. In the west it is not so much asking material things but more a way to develop yourself mentally, spiritually.

In the east -generally speaking- people don't have the time for such luxuries, the material struggle for for life absorbs all energy and comes first, which is no more then logical and natural (i.m.o).

Edited by dutchguest

wink.png I'll repeat the story I've told before about my personal experience....although this happened at least 30 years ago now.

I was sending some personal goods back to the U.S. prior to moving back there from my apartment in Bangkok then.

I took two boxes of clothes to the shipper....hired a taxi to take them to the shipper.

I also had my U.S. passport, $500 in U.S. bills, and my airline ticket in an envelope with me.

When we got to the shipping office the taxi driver and I unloaded the boxes of clothes, and I paid the shipper getting a reciept.

I then took the taxi back to my apartment and paid the taxi driver his fare.

He drove off, and only then did I realise that the envelope with my passport, my airline ticket, and $500 in cash were still sitting in his taxi.

My landlord told me which police station to report the loss of my passport and visa to. so I went to the police to make that report.

While I was there my taxi driver showed up.

He had found my envelope on the back seat of his taxi where I had left it. Since he knew the area of my apartment where he dropped me off he went to that police station to see if I was there reporting the loss of my passport to the police.

Everything, including the mony, was still there in the envelope.

I tried to give him a reward for bringing me those items....but he refused the money.

His reason was that he was a devout Buddhist and he said to me in English and to the police in Thai that therefore it woudl not be proper for him to benefit from the misfortune of others. For that same reason he refused my reward of money for returning my property. He kept saying it was not proper for him to profit from others misfortune.

He finally agreed to let me make a donation to his wat for the fund they used to support the orphans and street kids they sheltered at the Wat.

So that's what I did.

That was in 1981....and I've never seen that taxi driver again in my many trips to and my time living in Bangkok.

Not every Buddhist would do something like that....an $500 must have been like a small fortune to him at the time.

laugh.png

• Like 1

Not related directly to Buddhism, but I think there is some general logic to the pricing system:

1 works something like this: Close family and close friends, you do not scam (unless you are desperate). Instead, you go out of your way to help them as much as you can, because they are the only support network you can rely on.

2. A poor Thai pays little. A rich Thai pays more (unless you think he might be helpful to you later). (Perceived) poor foreigner *may* get away with paying less, if he is polite/friendly/confident.

3. Needs no further explanation.

It doesn't have much to do with Buddhism.

That makes sense. Some of the above posters didn't seem to get what I was asking. Also, despite official poverty rates in Thai around 9%, I haven't seen much poverty - or at least suffering due to poverty - around Thailand. Even the village dogs eat well, and with an unemployment rate around 1% (and minimum wage sufficient for a decent lifestyle) and plenty of opportunities for those who seek them out, I think it's fair to group Thailand as a reasonably wealthy nation, particularly for native-born Thais. Semi-legal Burmese and Nepali workers with 100 baht a day salaries also seem to live fine; that's enough for a computer and the occasional drink, plus money to send home, anyways...so I don't think blaming it poverty is fair.

Maybe I can simplify the question to get a direct answer. If a "perfect" being such as Buddha were driving a tuk-tuk, and he found a foreigner who didn't know the fair rates, he would still ask for the fair rate.

A reasonably honest Buddhist (who follows Buddhism, which differs in practice from "what the Buddha taught", which is not dogmatic if you look in the actual sutras) considers it fair to take some advantage of a foreigner's lack of knowledge about pricing - case in point being the Burmese mototaxi driver I spoke with, who had a system of pricing for foreigners developed in a way he considers to be "honest enough". But they don't go beyond a certain point (such as IMAFARANG's lost $500) because that would be beyond the boundary line of "honest enough" and into the territory of "dishonest" or "criminal" behavior (such as tuk-tuk "mafia" or jet-ski "mafia"'s behavior in Phuket).

Do any features of Buddhism as it's taught and practiced these days in Thailand play into this, or is a simple matter of economics, as meadish_sweetball suggests?

That makes sense. Some of the above posters didn't seem to get what I was asking. Also, despite official poverty rates in Thai around 9%, I haven't seen much poverty - or at least suffering due to poverty - around Thailand. Even the village dogs eat well, and with an unemployment rate around 1% (and minimum wage sufficient for a decent lifestyle) and plenty of opportunities for those who seek them out, I think it's fair to group Thailand as a reasonably wealthy nation, particularly for native-born Thais. Semi-legal Burmese and Nepali workers with 100 baht a day salaries also seem to live fine; that's enough for a computer and the occasional drink, plus money to send home, anyways...so I don't think blaming it poverty is fair.

Maybe I can simplify the question to get a direct answer. If a "perfect" being such as Buddha were driving a tuk-tuk, and he found a foreigner who didn't know the fair rates, he would still ask for the fair rate.

I'm quite surprised S C, that your experience indicates that you haven't seen much poverty.

I find the contrary.

I've seen up to three families living in one hovel with a dirt floor, and working for 150 baht per day harvesting rice.

I've seen women taking their infants to a doctor who might charge 700 - 1,000 baht for the visit.

I've seen medical prescriptions easily demolishing a few days pay.

Yes it's true that most eat, but many aspects of life are at world prices in a country where daily minimum wages are well below 300 baht.

When people living in such conditions, observe Farangs swanning around with access to the very best their country has to offer, will naturally feel such visitors are fair game.

I've also observed that many Thais have the misconception that all Farang are wealthy.

Perhaps the only thing many Farang have over most Thais, is a much higher income in relation to the Baht.

I think dutch quest nailed a common reason for your observations.

Naturally there isn't a single reason for this phenomena.

It will also include those who live in a Buddhist world in a cultural sense only (appearance), but aren't really religious within.

And, according to the Buddha, whether one professes to be Buddhist, or not, we are all subject to greed, aversion and delusion.

Edited by rockyysdt

I'm quite surprised S C, that your experience indicates that you haven't seen much poverty.

I find the contrary.

When people living in such conditions, observe Farangs swanning around with access to the very best their country has to offer, will naturally feel such visitors are fair game.

And, according to the Buddha, whether one professes to be Buddhist, or not, we are all subject to greed, aversion and delusion.

OK thanks for all of your revealing responses to what might be a misplaced question. I still think the poverty issue isn't so much at play here, since someone who has a functioning tuk-tuk/motorcycle business is a step above the simple day-to-day laborer, and barring an accident s/he has a steady income, enough for a decent lifestyle anyways. There's an obvious analogy with Christian <deleted> since Christ's basic teachings have obvious parallels with Buddha's (Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts have both suggested that Christianity and Buddhism emphasize similar paths to liberation, but Christianity teaches liberation through outer work while Buddha teaches an internal path to liberation).

To illustrate the sort of response I was hoping for:

One example of a cultural phenomenon I've seen that does seem to relate directly to Buddhist teaching: the way the locals here seem to accept passing such as death remarkably stoically. Such as students in an English teacher's friends class who didn't inform the teacher of a fellow student's death in a motorcycle accident until he called the student's name on the role, and simply said "Teacher! Keng is dead!", whereas in my home country schools there would be a big deal over such a death. Or a friend showing me pictures of his kids, then the 5th one's picture was of ashes and an urn, and he said "the 4th one is Pom, the 5th one is finished already, the 6th one is...". In the US it's said that the death of a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a parent, a categorically different response. This ties in directly with Buddhist teaching of the reality of annica or impermanence. The question here is: which came first, the relative acceptance of impermanence of life within the culture here, or the teaching about acceptance of impermanence?

It appears that the "scamming" that happens everywhere I've been here (not outright theft, but overcharging in an "honest enough" manner for the Buddha-emblem-wearing driver to consider it okay) is basically an economic issue - overcharge but in an "honest enough" way.

It appears that the "scamming" that happens everywhere I've been here (not outright theft, but overcharging in an "honest enough" manner for the Buddha-emblem-wearing driver to consider it okay) is basically an economic issue - overcharge but in an "honest enough" way.

Sorry if I sounded heavy as it was not my intention S.

Coincidentally I've been listening to a talk on "wise speech" which includes, speaking with Metta, being gentle, being timely, and with a positive purpose.

In terms of Tuk Tuk drivers I think of "Overheads" vs "a dozen Tuk Tuk drivers per customer".

I think it's a balance between "Buddhist teaching" vs "Surviving".

"Surviving in a third world country" vs "Religious belief".

When you think about it, if we are all deluded, then it's easy to justify anything in order to overcome ones financial situation.

Think of it as borrowing from a Bank.

It will increase my Kharma and future Vipaka but I need the credit today.

Edited by rockyysdt

I think now I understand better what you are mean. May be the believe buddhism can temper or moderate the greed and willingness to deceive others a bit.

But i.m.o. the majority of Thai people are poor (and the gap between the rich and poor is much too big). In the case of poverty there is i.m.o. no question of greed. If you are hungry it is just a fysical law that the body wants food and the same is the case with other essential needs like shelter, cloths, education, healthcare.

The question of greed can only arise above a certain level of material security when fundamental needs are taken care of and one still not has enough. In a way these people stay permanent poor when their desires never stop, may be not poor in the material sense but mentally poor.

I think now I understand better what you are mean. May be the believe buddhism can temper or moderate the greed and willingness to deceive others a bit.

The question of greed can only arise above a certain level of material security when fundamental needs are taken care of and one still not has enough. In a way these people stay permanent poor when their desires never stop, may be not poor in the material sense but mentally poor.

K thanks. At this point I feel like a dog going in circles trying to catch his tail, so I'll stop with the questioning, which seems to have resolved my question; there doesn't seem to be anything within Buddhist (Buddhism as it's practiced) dogma and the "relatively honest" mentality that seems rampant among the honest (or more honest) tuk-tuk drivers. This is just the combination of the fact that the blindness of the buyer makes the scam possible, while the "relatively honest" merchant takes advantage of the buyer's lack of knowledge, but only to a slight degree, so it's still "honet enough" to not be immoral. Do I understand you correctly?

The reasoning you mention above suggests why some of the people I've met in Isaan (and BKK for that matter) live in what are more or less shacks but have fancy TV's and mobile phones which cost the equivalent of a roundtrip plane ticket to Europe. Their needs may be met, but their desires never stop and go on towards things that symbolize wealth or "gold".

It's very difficult in Thailand to understand the Thai view on honesty,when it is obvious that Corruption is perfectly acceptable. As long as everone understands the rules and accept them,then honesty will be on their level of perception,and not the same as another Countries view of honesty.

It's very difficult in Thailand to understand the Thai view on honesty,when it is obvious that Corruption is perfectly acceptable. As long as everone understands the rules and accept them,then honesty will be on their level of perception,and not the same as another Countries view of honesty.

I've come to the view that corruption exists in all countries.

It's just more sophisticated in other places.

I'm sure you are right on both counts.

But when it becomes so blatantly obvious and widespread ,it then becomes a way of life.

I'm sure you are right on both counts.

But when it becomes so blatantly obvious and widespread ,it then becomes a way of life.

In terms of Buddhism and corruption or overcharging, I suspect the overiding drivers are "background of extreme poverty" and "the unawakened being influenced by greed & delusion".

In terms of blatant corruption this is why I referred to "being unsophisticted".

Any corruption you might care to mention in Thailand will pale into insignificance in comparison to Eastern & Western corruption.

The only difference is the other crowds are better at hiding it.

One thing in most Buddhists favor is that their corruption usually involves monetary gain.

In other parts of the world great evil takes place to procure wealth.

Edited by rockyysdt

Any corruption you might care to mention in Thailand will pale into insignificance in comparison to Eastern & Western corruption.

The only difference is the other crowds are better at hiding it.

One thing in most Buddhists favor is that their corruption usually involves monetary gain.

In other parts of the world great evil takes place to procure wealth.

Agreed with your first statement - here corruption seems out in the open, whereas in other places such as UK/US society looks nice on the surface but in reality is very dirty at the core - but also see examples of "evil" taking place to procure wealth here just like anywhere.

And to be clear...this sort of "relatively honest", systematic scamming doesn't seem "evil" to me. Which is the whole point of bringing it up, since I was curious if any tenets of Buddhism (as opposed to what the Buddha actually taught, which is based in reality rather than dogmatic teaching) play into this. It's comparable to the difference between publicized two-tier pricing (where foreigners are charged more than locals but this is publicized) and two-tier pricing which is not laid out clearly. People on this topic have answered my questions, so thank you.

Several postings here have it correct. Buddhism and scamming are not comnpatible. Because Thailand purports to be a Buddhist country does not mean everyone here follows the Buddha's teaching. His teachings have got lost along the way the same as Jesus's teachings have got lost in so called Christian countries. To go off track here for a second; Jesus actually asked his followers to quit their jobs as he found that their interactions with the world didn't allow them to follow his teachings as they were meant to be. And if you will notice all the 227 rules the Buddha put down for his followers, he thought the same way. It's difficult to be in the world and not of the world. If you could visit some of those way out in the country Buddhist temples, you would observe a whole different way of life than what you see around the cities.

• Like 1

I find the contrary.

OK thanks for all of your revealing responses to what might be a misplaced question. I still think the poverty issue isn't so much at play here, since someone who has a functioning tuk-tuk/motorcycle business is a step above the simple day-to-day laborer, and barring an accident s/he has a steady income, enough for a decent lifestyle anyways. There's an obvious analogy with Christian <deleted> since Christ's basic teachings have obvious parallels with Buddha's (Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts have both suggested that Christianity and Buddhism emphasize similar paths to liberation, but Christianity teaches liberation through outer work while Buddha teaches an internal path to liberation).

To illustrate the sort of response I was hoping for:

One example of a cultural phenomenon I've seen that does seem to relate directly to Buddhist teaching: the way the locals here seem to accept passing such as death remarkably stoically. Such as students in an English teacher's friends class who didn't inform the teacher of a fellow student's death in a motorcycle accident until he called the student's name on the role, and simply said "Teacher! Keng is dead!", whereas in my home country schools there would be a big deal over such a death. Or a friend showing me pictures of his kids, then the 5th one's picture was of ashes and an urn, and he said "the 4th one is Pom, the 5th one is finished already, the 6th one is...". In the US it's said that the death of a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a parent, a categorically different response. This ties in directly with Buddhist teaching of the reality of annica or impermanence. The question here is: which came first, the relative acceptance of impermanence of life within the culture here, or the teaching about acceptance of impermanence?

What you are describing has less to do with Buddhism, and more to do with Thai culture, which preceded the arrival of Buddhism among the Thais by centuries.