The Relationship Between Buddhism And Scamming

squarethecircle

What you are describing has less to do with Buddhism, and more to do with Thai culture, which preceded the arrival of Buddhism among the Thais by centuries.

But it's similar in Burma and Laos, and I bet other SE Asian nations, and I want to know the reasoning/history behind it. Saying it's "Thai culture" is ignoring the point of the question.

What you are describing has less to do with Buddhism, and more to do with Thai culture, which preceded the arrival of Buddhism among the Thais by centuries.

But it's similar in Burma and Laos, and I bet other SE Asian nations, and I want to know the reasoning/history behind it. Saying it's "Thai culture" is ignoring the point of the question.

On the other hand, if your question is actually about SE Asian history or culture, you are ignoring the point of this Buddhist forum.

OP, are you looking for an agreement rather than an answer?

An answer; My response to sabaijai's post was pointing out obvious flaws in his/her response (saying "it's the Thai culture" when it's clearly not limited to this country).

I think my question has already been answered, though.

First, not all SE Asian countries are Theravada Buddhist. Or even Buddhist.

More importantly, a simple correlation -- "these three countries have similar attitudes towards scamming and these three countries are majority-Buddhist, therefore Buddhism must be the cause" -- does not signify cause and effect. To conclude that correlation implies causation is fallacious logic.

More importantly, a simple correlation -- "these three countries have similar attitudes towards scamming and these three countries are majority-Buddhist, therefore Buddhism must be the cause" -- does not signify cause and effect. To conclude that correlation implies causation is fallacious logic.

I never mentioned causation. I asked whether Buddhism, as it's practiced and taught in the mainstream, has any relationship to this practice. Meadish_sweetball gave a convincing argument that it's basically a practical/economical matter and "Buddhism", as it's practiced and taught, does not have much to do with it.