Options For Moving Things O/s

gkinbkk

Hi,

I know this has been asked before so forgive me but I couldnt find the answer using search.

I have 5 cubic metres to move to Australia. This is what moving companies are telling me but seriously I think it is 3-4 at the most.

Waiting to go in a container and going by sea is fine I'm in no hurry.

Lowest quote is 86k seems kind of expensive.......what are my options? Unaccompanied baggage?

The only cheapish way to move it is via groupage method. That way you avoid the port charges (most of them) and AQIS (quarantine inspection) charge. THC (terminal handling charge) for shipments less than container load are $100 per cubic metre, so where the hell Shaktam gets his 15,000 baht from I don't know, but I suspect he pulled it from his posterior. Depending on which city in Australia you are moving to I have the ood container going that way and I could piggy back it on board, but it could take time.

Yeah halarious kurnell can't stop laughing!

Gkinbkk maybe you can call them and ask for a quote then forward that to the diminutive mind of kurnell.

Actually kurnell better yet, why don't you go on their website and you can do a quick quote yourself then you can eat your own words and dissapear from this thread. Glad to know you are in the group now you are one of the useless uninformative TV members that drags this forum down.

I moved 150 kg with this company door to door service and paid approx $600.

Yeah halarious kurnell can't stop laughing!

Gkinbkk maybe you can call them and ask for a quote then forward that to the diminutive mind of kurnell.

Actually kurnell better yet, why don't you go on their website and you can do a quick quote yourself then you can eat your own words and dissapear from this thread. Glad to know you are in the group now you are one of the useless uninformative TV members that drags this forum down.

I moved 150 kg with this company door to door service and paid approx $600.

Is 150 kg 6 cubic metres? No.

Who is the useless one now? Get your big boy pants on before you decide to mouth off

My move was 6 cubic metres, 150kg.

OK, so 25kg per cubic metre. What did you move, pillows? Packing materials alone for 6 cubic metres (larger than a 1960s mini) would be 40kg. That leaves 110kg of goods. So your shipment of 2mx2mx1.5m weights 110kg. Wanna try again? Perhaps you can advise what was in the shipment? Even better, a receipt?

My move was 6 cubic metres, 150kg.

OK, so 25kg per cubic metre. What did you move, pillows? Packing materials alone for 6 cubic metres (larger than a 1960s mini) would be 40kg. That leaves 110kg of goods. So your shipment of 2mx2mx1.5m weights 110kg. Wanna try again? Perhaps you can advise what was in the shipment? Even better, a receipt?

Mate, I have just been on the Seven Seas website and the volume you are talking about is less than a cubic metre. So multiply the $600 you said you paid by the 5 cubic metres the OP said he has and you get $3,000 or around 95,000 THB, which is more than he was quoted.

Am I missing something? Kurnell you say, post 7, $100 AUD/cubic meter. OP has 5 cubic meters. Shipping cost $500 AUD, 5 x 100 = $500. OP says he has 5 cubic meters to ship. Current exchange rate 31.11 baht/AUD. Total shipment cost per your statement, 15755 baht, 500 x 31.51 = 15755. Seems that Shaktam's posterior is spot on! Simple Math! You cannot convert kilograms to cubic meters, kg is weight, cubic meters is volume. It depends on what's in the box, laed or feathers.

Am I missing something? Kurnell you say, post 7, $100 AUD/cubic meter. OP has 5 cubic meters. Shipping cost $500 AUD, 5 x 100 = $500. OP says he has 5 cubic meters to ship. Current exchange rate 31.11 baht/AUD. Total shipment cost per your statement, 15755 baht, 500 x 31.51 = 15755. Seems that Shaktam's posterior is spot on! Simple Math! You cannot convert kilograms to cubic meters, kg is weight, cubic meters is volume. It depends on what's in the box, laed or feathers.

I took Kurnell's comment there to be simply one component of the shipper's cost, not the total charge.

Obviously if Shaktam's price is correct then his vendor's found a way to eliminate or at least greatly reduce the component Kurnell's talking about (if that is correct).

"THC (terminal handling charge) for shipments less than container load are $100 per cubic metre" This is the charge for a bunch of wharfies in Australia to take your shipment out of the container once it has arrived and transfer it to a warehouse at the port. You also have to add packing/;crating in Thailand, transportation to the port, customs clearance, THC in Thailand, misc port charges (paperwork) sea freight (approx $40-60 per CBM), customs clearance in Australia, AQIS (customs inspection), transportation from warehouse to residence and (if required), unpacking and removal of debris. Shaktam's posterior is way off. Go to the Seven Seas website and try it!!! Im am 100% correct. Been doing transportation in Thailand for 13 years. Shaktam sitting in front of his computer in his Luke Skywalker jim jams fondling his toy light sabre trying to recall what he paid 5 years ago and who CLEARLY does not know a cubic metre (1m x 1m x 1m....picture a large fridge) looks like is just wasting everyone's time. For $600 you can transport a few boxes by sea freight (62 days)

To the original question - I would suggest you compare the cost of shipping the goods with the cost of replacing them at destination - and don't forget that you would be getting new for old. Abandoning your favourite whatever might be a bit hard, but the new one will soon be your favourite 'cos it's the latest model/style and has more buttons/bells/whistles. I have abandoned all my worldly possessions several times during my travels and it is a great experience. People who allow their chattels to define them have a different set of problems whistling.gif

Edited by jpinx

Yes even moving from one place to another within the same country is a very effective reminder of how much possessions can become a burden.

I wish I could stick to my ideal of never accumulating more than fit in two checked bags and a carry on.

And of course in the meantime the baggage allowances keep getting smaller 8-)

Yes, when I came to Thailand that's exactly what I had, 2 checked bags and a carry on. Sold or gave away everything else before coming. Now I have 3 houses all full of furniture, 11 dogs and a WiFE. I guess that I'll never learn! Can't fit the 11 dogs in 2 checked bags! Oh well!

Edited by wayned

Selling up is the best way but I want to keep all of our old photos and I have musical instruments/gtr amps and the kids toys which are difficult to part with.

Anyway it turns out most of the advice above is complete crap!

Phoned Kent in Melbourne and they quoted 5.5-8k AUD for LCL, god I wonder what a container costs?!?! For 8K Aus I could buy quite a few one way plane tickets and use the 30kg plus carry on allowance for each ticket!!!!

And I have a lovely email from a nice guy at Seven Seas to say that they do not currently operate, nor have ever done so, from Thailand!!!!

Selling up is the best way but I want to keep all of our old photos and I have musical instruments/gtr amps and the kids toys which are difficult to part with.

Anyway it turns out most of the advice above is complete crap!

Phoned Kent in Melbourne and they quoted 5.5-8k AUD for LCL, god I wonder what a container costs?!?! For 8K Aus I could buy quite a few one way plane tickets and use the 30kg plus carry on allowance for each ticket!!!!

And I have a lovely email from a nice guy at Seven Seas to say that they do not currently operate, nor have ever done so, from Thailand!!!!

If you phoned Kent and asked for a rate over the phone, then they are going to guess.