Looking For A Good Bank Branch In Bangkok

I just received my retirement visa and will be coming over to Thailand soon for about a month on this trip. I would like to open a bank account while I am there, and after reading the threads here I think Bangkok Bank is best for me (website in English, ACH transfers from US, etc.). I also learned that the branch you open the accoun at is important. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a good branch in Bangkok - easy to get to, somewhere from downtown up to Lad Prao and close to BTS or MRT, and some stafff who speak English? My thought is to open it at the main branch - is that Silom? I stay most of the time in Ari/Lad Prao area, but downtown is fine

2. Do I need a local address? I will be staying at a serviced apartment for part of my stay, and could use that address, but I will be traveling, and once I leave Thailand I will not be in a position to get any mail there. If I need a local address could I give that address then go online and change to my US address when I leave?

3. I assume there wil be no English translation for the docs I will be signing. I have a Thai friend there and for the price of a cheap Thai meal she will be willing to take time off from work and come with me. Is it highly recommended that I bring a Thai person along?

I am mainly doing this so I can have access to local money for a longer trip (1 to 3 months) and then to make the lump sum transfer next year for my retirement visa.

Any suggestions are appreciated. If you want to name names you can send me a pm.

Cheers.

The branch on lower Sukhumvit close to the NANA BTS station on the even numbered side of the street deals with foreigners on a regular basis, and is a good branch. They require a work permit when you first talk to them, but if you explain to the manager that you need an account for the money deposit requirement for your retirement visa they will open an account for you. All they then will require from you is a notarized letter from the embassy certifying your address in Bangkok, and no they will not change it to an address out of the country at a later date. You will not need a Thai speaker with you to do all this. They do not send out monthly statements, or anything else, so no need for an address other than the serviced apartment you stay at for the month you plan to be here. If you get an ATM card then they issue it on the spot, they do not mail it. Once you move here then change the address.

Edited by koolbreez
  • Like 1

I have bank accounts at SCB, Bangkok Bank, Krug Thai, and Government savings Bank. I'm on a retirement extension and never had to provide a letter from the Embassy. A letter from the embassy will cost you $50 and you must make an appointment in advance. Your passport with your visa and a copy of your rental agreement or letter/statement from a hotel should be enough.. Tell them that you need to open an account so that you can deposit money for your next retirement extension as required by immigration.

If you intend to retire here and have your SSA payments directly deposited, you'll have to open a special foreign deposit account. This type of account can not have either an ATM or internet banking. Tell them that you want to open a regular savings account with ATM privelidges. They will issue the ATM card when you open the account and is activate immedeiately. I think that the minimum deposit is 500 baht!

I agree the branch on lower Sukhumvit, SOI 8, is very convenient and in the past Farang friendly!

Edited by wayned

Sukhumvit 11 Sub Branch

171 Suhumvit Rd Khlongtoei Nua Wattana

Bangkok 10110

Tel : 02-2553680-3

Fax : 02-2553684

For sure this is the branch. I have used them for 10 years and the only guy who was a little bit of a problem left many years ago. I recommend them. Most helpful and seem used to helping us farang.

My English pension is paid directly to them in my normal ac - no special ac.

Edited by creck