Obama's Help Sought To Secure Release Of Two Thai Activists From Cambodian Jails

webfact

I can certainly appreciate the exposure it gives to the situation whether he assists or not. It's also good as well as exposing yet another failure of Yingluck to do her duty (in this case, one she voiced and imposed on herself).

At the end of the day, there's no real harm in just asking for his assistance. I'm sure he gets a myriad of requests from all sorts of organizations/politicians/NGO's in every country he visits.

As said, the Senators' requests are not alone... coffee1.gif

Raise our concerns, groups urge Obama

Advocates release a blizzard of requests and suggestions ahead of presidential visit to resolve problems in region

Like gift-seekers before Santa Claus comes to town, various pressure groups are issuing open letters to US President Barack Obama prior to his visit to Thailand and the region starting today. Issues include the environment, human rights in Myanmar and the lese majeste law here at home.

The Asean Inter-Parliamentary Myanmar Caucus (AIPMC) stated yesterday that it hopes improved human rights and the strengthening of democracy will be the key objectives of Obama's visit to Thailand and the region, which will not only be seen as adding legitimacy to the government of Myanmar President Thein Sein, but also encouraging it in its efforts to enact key reform measures.

"There are concerns that pushing the Thein Sein government to move too quickly with reform measures could provoke a backlash from military hardliners; and it is commendable that President Obama has embarked on this trip in an effort to ensure the reform process does not backslide, but it is also important fundamental ideals are not surrendered in the drive for economic and political gains," AIPMC president and Indonesian MP Eva Kusuma Sundari said.

"We should all expect concrete commitments and deliverable achievements from President Obama's visit."

The caucus stated that as of yesterday it appeared there were no political detainees among the 452 included in an amnesty announced by the government last week. AIPMC encouraged Obama to work towards securing a commitment from Nay Pyi Taw to enter into political dialogue with non-state armed groups and to allow further humanitarian access to Rakhine and Kachin states, as well as an agreement to allow the UN High Commissioner for Refugees to establish a presence in Myanmar.

The caucus said transparency was still sorely lacking and ordinary people don't have access to redress through the legal system in countries like Cambodia.

Another group urged Obama to pressure Asean to protect environmental rights within a strong human rights framework.

In Phnom Penh on Friday, the Asean youth group stated that regional integration should not come at the price of environmental ruin and human rights abuses.

The group urged Asean leaders to protect the rights of the people and the environment as the region pursues a single economic community in an era of runaway climate change.

"We want our leaders to remember that environmental rights - the right to clean water, air and a healthy environment - are human rights too," said Yong Kim Eng, president of the People Centre for Development and Peace.

"With the attendance of newly elected US President Barack Obama at the [East Asian] Summit, Asean leaders must use this opportunity to call on the US to join the EU in raising ambition for climate action and deliver adequate and predictable climate finance for vulnerable countries such as most Asean states," said Zelda Soriano, political adviser of Greenpeace Southeast Asia.

"Unless urgently addressed, climate change will inflict further suffering on the region's poor and hinder Asean's grand plans to become an integrated economic community."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-18

Edited by Buchholz

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't want to explain your post so we can get to the bottom of your misunderstanding of my post. Perhaps your unusual presence at this time of night and fatigue stops you from doing so.

Fair enough.

But as far as your completely unsupported projection, "nobody understands", you might wait and let others speak for themselves. Until then, the only one that doesn't understand is yourself. wink.png

Wow monitoring the times of my attendance on the forum.Creepy.

Don't flatter yourself.

Your uniquely abrasive style stands out quite noticeably.

It's hardly "monitoring". :rolleyes:

It's just that I'm often posting late and have never noticed you posting at this time of night.... until now.

No big deal, but I just thought it might explain why your abrasiveness is even more so than normal now.

Yeah sure.Its not as though you have that reputation.

When you all are done with your bickering

The people that are asking Obama to intercede, are the people who recently promoted the theory that the Nasa Weather Project, was in fact a CIA plot - and caused the cancellation of this project. The fact that this project could provide information on strengthening monsoons and th recent flooding in Thailand left these people uninterested, it was only thought of as something to be used as an issue in an internal thai politicai dispute..

Given this backstory Why should Obama help these people?

I of course have put in my two cents by e mailing both POTUS and my elected representatives that in no way should we help people who slander us, cause my tax money to be wasted - tax money by the way which would benefit Thailand and of course because I love about my country.

WHAT SAY YOU ?!

The people that are asking Obama to intercede, are the people who recently promoted the theory that the Nasa Weather Project, was in fact a CIA plot - and caused the cancellation of this project.

WHAT SAY YOU ?!

The OP discusses Senator Tuang Anthachai and unnamed Senators on a Senate panel as asking for Obama's assistance.

I'm not having any success in finding information about what role Senator Tung played in the cancellation of the NASA Project.

Could you help out by pointing to your references on the matter?

Edited by Buchholz

It’s sad to see the hairsplitting, the denial, but not unexpected. Conservatives are known for having a higher level of mendacity and hypocrisy than fellow citizens. Many are part of that 47 per cent which feel they are entitled, to money, to pensions, to patriotism, when in fact, as we see right here and now, just how patriotic they really are.

Chances are you are a godless atheist too but this denial of one’s birthright reminds me of another sad tale

“Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: “Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and weptbitterly.

Edited by LomSak27