Cynical Expats

Uma~~

I have noticed, especially here in Samui that there are some very cynical expats about, some who seem to actually hate Thailand and I wonder why they continue to stay where they are.

Many would tell them to go home but I'm not entirely sure that's fair because he obviously loved Thailand at one point and it seems the most cynical expats live in the most touristy areas whereas the positive ones live in the sticks - I've even noticed it a little reading this very website, the happier people live upcountry away from all the razzle and dazzle and money.

I met a guy in an internet cafe yesterday, I was paying and leaving because it was so slow and I did find it a little irritating that I was paying nearly 70 baht having spent most of that time waiting for the little blue bar at the bottom of the page to fill, I didn't complain but he could see I was a little annoyed and said, "What the Thai's lack in common sense they make up for with their shameless greed." which does seem to ring true in the tourist hot spots and I had been unaware of it until that comment made me think.

The smiles are different in Bangkok than they are in Lamai and they are different in the jungle than they are in Chaweng, I can spot a genuine welcoming smile from a 'spend your monry here' smile.

Sadly it seems that those who have nothing or very little are the most genuine and who care about customer service where the richer Thai's, the ones who already have money are the greedy ruthless ones.

Perhaps THEY are cynical of farangs because most farangs they come into contact with are drunk, rich or oversexed or all three so maybe they are the same.

Either way, it seems that money really is the root of all evil all over the world, but for some reason it is more noticable in Thailand than anywhere else I have been.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it does exist in Thailand, but I'm sure it's not the worst of it's kind. It just depends from place to place like you said, one area can differ vastly in terms of services and helpfulness provided by workers working in all kinds of shops, but generally shops in the tourist area have more greedy uptight staff, while the smaller ones in "normal" areas tend to be more kind and not think about ripping you off every instant they can.

However, once you start speaking Thai with them, things suddenly look so different.

Edited by rawnnie

The types you describe as cynical would be losers anywhere. They are so dominant in these forums because no one except hustlers will talk to them in the real world.

And the Thais who deal with these obnoxious farangs in the tourist areas are greedy, impolite and only after the money?… huh -- wonder who they learned these traits from?

Bangkok wasn’t always this way. The lager-louts and sleazy cheap-skates have changed this country forever.

And it aint coming back, --but that’s progress.

The types you describe as cynical would be losers anywhere. They are so dominant in these forums because no one except hustlers will talk to them in the real world.

And the Thais who deal with these obnoxious farangs in the tourist areas are greedy, impolite and only after the money?… huh -- wonder who they learned these traits from?

Bangkok wasn’t always this way. The lager-louts and sleazy cheap-skates have changed this country forever.

And it aint coming back, --but that’s progress.

I don't think I was ever ripped off in Bangkok but I do notice it here in the south.

I think I've had my eyes closed since I've been here, even Thai friends in Bangkok have nothing good to say about Samui but I have enjoyed myself here. From what I have heard generally from Thais and farangs Samui is at the moment the worst place in Thailand which I find difficult to believe. That said I have not been to Pattaya or any other place that recieves criticism.

As for the guy in the internet cafe, he wasn't a loser otherwise I would have told him to get lost and stop looking at my boobs. :o

Edited by Uma~~

As for the guy in the internet cafe, he wasn't a loser otherwise I would have told him to get lost and stop looking at my boobs. :D

:D

Did you exchange telephone numbers? :o

Yes but that's none of your business. :D

He actually said Pattaya was worse but he also said he lived in a container there for three weeks so I can understand why! :D

A lot of Farangs who come here are jaded by the West and come here to get away from it all. Then lo and behold they get p!ssed off with things here too. But some people just make a career out of judging others to be too this or too that and victimise themselves, pretend to be pissed off by things but are actually most comfortable feeling like they're downtrodden and mistreated.

I think people view the act of being cynical as perhaps they are showing their intelligence to people. Why else would any stranger want to convey that message to another stranger?

Or else.. boredom, tired, bad serotonom levels.

I think we all need new challenges and fresh ideas to keep us positive. Those that don't, unwittingly lose their charm.

Edited by Head Snake

As for the guy in the internet cafe, he wasn't a loser otherwise I would have told him to get lost and stop looking at my boobs. :D

He actually said Pattaya was worse but he also said he lived in a container there for three weeks so I can understand why! :D

Scampy? :D

My Thai friends have a word for these kind of people: 'rent people'. Maybe not much of an insult (they are Thai, after all!), but the implication being that all those who have to struggle to pay a rent, who don't actually own their own place so have no security, inevitably turn into cynical, money-grubbing, impolite people.

This can apply to the Thais in tourist areas, the majority of whom have come (like bees to the honey pot) from elsewhere in the country, as well as many of the farang (also like bees to the honey) who live there in rented accommodation.

The people - farang and Thai - who live elsewhere, or who are actually originally from Samui etc. tend to be more happy with their lives and less obsessed about money - mainly as they don't have to a pay a penny for where they live, they have their land, their home and their families with them and are thus totally secure and generally uninterested in your Baht (your boobs might be another thing :o ).

Scampy? :D

Same thought occured to me :D

I have noticed, especially here in Samui that there are some very cynical expats about, some who seem to actually hate Thailand and I wonder why they continue to stay where they are.

Many would tell them to go home but I'm not entirely sure that's fair because he obviously loved Thailand at one point and it seems the most cynical expats live in the most touristy areas whereas the positive ones live in the sticks - I've even noticed it a little reading this very website, the happier people live upcountry away from all the razzle and dazzle and money.

the happier people live upcountry away from all the razzle and dazzle and money.

a curse on you.....letting out our secret to happiness! :o:D

however, I still hold with the principle that anywhere is what you make it and your happiness is never dependant on where you are.

Yup. :o

My Thai friends have a word for these kind of people: 'rent people'. Maybe not much of an insult (they are Thai, after all!), but the implication being that all those who have to struggle to pay a rent, who don't actually own their own place so have no security, inevitably turn into cynical, money-grubbing, impolite people.

This can apply to the Thais in tourist areas, the majority of whom have come (like bees to the honey pot) from elsewhere in the country, as well as many of the farang (also like bees to the honey) who live there in rented accommodation.

The people - farang and Thai - who live elsewhere, or who are actually originally from Samui etc. tend to be more happy with their lives and less obsessed about money - mainly as they don't have to a pay a penny for where they live, they have their land, their home and their families with them and are thus totally secure and generally uninterested in your Baht (your boobs might be another thing ).

True, these are the cynical Thais so the cynical expats and Thais are reallyn rubbing off on each other. I love the food and I love the people I meet and have found them all to be very nice, maybe it's because I'm female and a foreigner I don't know but I haven't yet been on the recieving end of the bad stuff that goes on. My bags got wet on the roof of a minibus once in the rain and that is the only bad experience I can think of so I guess I have just been lucky.

I don't know but I haven't yet been on the recieving end of the bad stuff that goes on.

My bags got wet on the roof of a minibus once in the rain and that is the only bad experience I can think of so I guess I have just been lucky.

Cant beat that one :o:D

I still hold with the principle that anywhere is what you make it and your happiness is never dependant on where you are.

Absolutely agree, 100%.

Oscar Wilde defined a cynic as one "who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

I don't know but I haven't yet been on the recieving end of the bad stuff that goes on.
My bags got wet on the roof of a minibus once in the rain[/b] and that is the only bad experience I can think of so I guess I have just been lucky.

It was pretty bad, but I blame the weather for that! :D

Scampy on Samui?

Be cautious, Uma!

As for all the cynics in the tourist bar areas, someone remarked before:

"Farang- overpaid, oversexed and over here."

His name wasn't Scampy and he didn't appear to oversexed and certainly not overpaid, he's a writer. :D

Oscar Wilde defined a cynic as one "who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Brilliant quote, as all his are! Shame he's gay and dead. :D

Edited by Uma~~

My falang tenants aren't cynical at all. Rather down to earth actually. Although I do suspect that there are many that fall into the above generalization.

:o

My falang tenants aren't cynical at all. Rather down to earth actually. Although I do suspect that there are many that fall into the above generalization.

Plenty.

Not quite correct to say Oscar Wilde was gay. He was married and had children. The STD he died from he caught from a woman. So in modern lingo 'bi'.

I do agree, shame he's dead, and he died at the tender age of 46!

The world lost a genius...couple more..... :D

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

If you really want to know what a woman means, which is dangerous, always look at her but never listen.

I like men who have a future, and women who have a past.

I have always been of the opinion that a man about to get married should know either everything or nothing.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.

Education is a wonderful thing, provided you always remember that nothing worth knowing can ever be taught.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

I can resist everything except temptation.

This wallpaper will be the death of me; one of us will have to go.... :o

My bags got wet on the roof of a minibus once in the rain[/b] and that is the only bad experience I can think of so I guess I have just been lucky.

It was pretty bad, but I blame the weather for that! :D

Scampy on Samui?

Be cautious, Uma!

As for all the cynics in the tourist bar areas, someone remarked before:

"Farang- overpaid, oversexed and over here."

His name wasn't Scampy and he didn't appear to oversexed and certainly not overpaid, he's a writer. :D

Brilliant quote, as all his are! Shame he's gay and dead. :D

Oscar was a terribly vain man much enamoured of his own wit which ultimately was as shallow as his life. Had he been heterosexual and therefore less self indulgent he could have aspired to the dizzy heights of intellectualism.....not necessarily a plaudit but idealogues tend to imprint a bigger footnote in history's rich pageant. The gays of course may discuss with tedious impunity within the sanctity of their own backwater, should they wish.

Hmmm is that what Cameron's calling himself these days??? :D

PM sent.

Classic, I knew it was the Scamp when I read the first bit about a container. Cameron's a writer now is he? :D

And thats so perfectly the kind of thing he'd say about the Thai's, its always someone elses blame with that one. :D

:D Man, that made me laugh.

.... thats just a <deleted> classic. Awesome. :D

:D:D:D:burp::P:D