Life In Chiang Mai

watergnome

Heya Watergnome

There is no perfect city to live in...for those that has made CM their home, the positives far outweigh the minor negatives...

The smog (does not affect everyone) for the 2 mths, the traffic around the moat (every city has it)...the insane driving (keeps us all alert and reflexes tested !)

The positives...the friendly people, lots of great food options, the family and relaxing lifestyle you can seek, the cultural aspects, the proximity to other parts of Asia, the peace and quiet and the hot weather...all positives

I enjoy living here and I endorse it !

Cheerios

Lawrence

• Like 1

So many folk complain about the quality of schools, yet as a parent you can also add to your children's knowledge by doing a bit of Home Schooling. What ever the subjects I daresay many on this board should be able to get them to the equal of a high school education, before sending them off to a University. A few home schooling study guides and your own knowledge should blend in well with what they learn in Thai Schools. The blend would be good for the child. just an opinion

Well said. Motivation starts at home and continues at home. Parents who take the most time helping school their children are the ones with children who succeed later in life. What the children actually learn at grade shool is just icing on the cake. It is in universities and trade schools where they actually learn something that will put a stamp on their career.

• Like 2

Indeed, LIST (Lanna International School Thailand) is OK and fully according to British curriculum.

Mr. Kevin Pugh is the principal of the secundary and he can help you with all your questions for your kids.

But also Varee International School is British curriculum but more in the city center of CM.

Koolpuntville around HangDong area is OK. I would not recommend Koolpuntville 5/6 or 7.

Koolpuntville 8 till 15 no problem.

To start in CM I went first 3 months to Greenhill (not far from center and road 11) and rented a flat on monthly basis.

Success and welcome to CM !

Less opportunities to get into a good profession ?

Yup. Think of the extra barrier to entry on going to college back in the west, for example. And the schools are of much higher quality back home - I'll state that as a fact, which maybe you disagree with.

The simple fact is that most westerners living out here are either on a pension, inheritance or work as an English teacher. Yeah, this isn't all... but it is a huge % of people making what I consider to be a crappy living (well I guess some of the inheritance camp are quite comfortable).

Even the "bad" professions are better in the USA. If your kid turns out to be not the most intelligent, not exactly motivated... well what exactly will they do for money at all in Thailand? In the USA a person like this could pick up a trade skill of some sort with relative ease and still make good money. Or even the difference between a seriously demotivated person... they are making a quarter of what they do in the USA out here in Thailand in a job like 7/11, and prices aren't *that* much higher back home.

Would you like to elaborate on that point !

Instead writing a whole thesis here are some bullet points:

* Lots of westerners living out here start drinking first thing in the morning, most days. This seemed quite rare in the USA.

* The large number of old guys living out here on a pension mostly for one reason - and these are the same folks that complain when the price goes up a bit, because heaven forbid those girls make a bit more money

* The English teachers out here seriously lack the ability to plan for their life. Living paycheck to paycheck in Thailand, with no/little pension, shows a serious shortsightedness. Many of these folks have no insurance and no means of paying an unexpected bill. This is a burden on their families and their countries. To me that is selfish and this is a lot of the westerners living out here. Sorry if this bit offends anyone.

* Most of the people who move here are voluntarily installing a "glass ceiling" on their life. I know of seriously few "successful" westerners living in Thailand. I am not saying they don't exist - like the guy that made Dukes seems to do alright. But they are few and far between.

* The main thing that seems to attract people to Thailand is the lower cost of living. When you put some thought into this it really just boils down to, "I want more for less... I want to work less hard." I am not saying that that is even a bad thing. But I am saying that being surrounded by people like this is going to limit the number of opportunities your kids will get from the other westerners living here.

Since you know so much about the scene here I guess you are hanging with the wrong crowd. let it go the people who move here come for many reasons and yess there are many sucessful ones living here. By the way why are you in Thailand, another failure.

* The main thing that seems to attract people to Thailand is the lower cost of living. When you put some thought into this it really just boils down to, "I want more for less... I want to work less hard." I am not saying that that is even a bad thing. But I am saying that being surrounded by people like this is going to limit the number of opportunities your kids will get from the other westerners living here.

The much-venerated Steve Jobs opted for Chinese workers instead of American workers because he wanted "more for less." Maybe there wouldn't be as many young expats seeking teaching jobs here if their host countries had provided them with good opportunities to begin with. They didn't leave because they were lazy, they left because they wanted to better their lives. Yes, some have no insurance and no means of paying an unexpected bill. And that's before they even set foot in Thailand!

Most of them are probably happier living on a shoestring budget in Thailand than living in their home countries with a "safe" but dismal job. They're teachers or web-based professionals. Are there risks? Sure. But sometimes it is better to be sorry than safe. I don't blame them for thinking outside the box, seeking happiness in unconventional ways, and defining "success" in their own way. Whether they succeed or fail, they followed their dreams. I think kids can learn a lot of valuable lessons from these folks.

• Like 1

I really do love Thailand but I have to strongly question what the country has contributed to the world. In a developed western country maybe your kid becomes the next Google founder. I don't see that happening here.

In reality there have been many successful Thais, albeit almost all funded in their eneterprises by millionaire fathers and generally in businesses where the government helps out by restricting and crushing any compettion. Asian capitalism.

The only thing I can say for sure is that if it had a beach and people would learn to drive on the right side of the road it would be perfect.

Dolly, people do drive on the right side of the road, in fact any side. If CM had a beach it would be too crowded and probably insufferably polluted by now. As to the OP, CM is a great place, definitely one of the best options in Thailand. As to schools consider sending the kids home if you can arrange for the second half of high school to reintegrate.

Maybe there wouldn't be as many young expats seeking teaching jobs here if their host countries had provided them with good opportunities to begin with.

Maybe they should consider importing lots of Thai girls. That is the opportunity that draws most of them here.

• Like 1

Maybe there wouldn't be as many young expats seeking teaching jobs here if their host countries had provided them with good opportunities to begin with.

Maybe they should consider importing lots of Thai girls. That is the opportunity that draws most of them here.

Hang on there a moment old chap, no sex please, we're British!

Thai girls. That is the opportunity that draws most of them here.

Thanks for posting this, sir! Pretty much a slam dunk for 90% of the western guys living out here.

I beg to differ. Why aren't long-term expats flocking to other sunny and relatively cheap destinations such as Colombia, Venezuela, India and Cambodia? Girls not beautiful enough there? They may fantasize about meeting Thai women, but that's after they've looked at cost of living, exchange rates, visa requirements, etc. Of course, some skip that step entirely, sometimes with dire consequences.

Why aren't long-term expats flocking to other sunny and relatively cheap destinations such as Colombia, Venezuela, India and Cambodia?

Because they are not as safe or convenient, but IMO Thai women are the big draw.

I see that changing. More couples here, especially the Russians who bring their own women along. (And easy on the eyes they are :) )

I beg to differ. Why aren't long-term expats flocking to other sunny and relatively cheap destinations such as Colombia, Venezuela, India and Cambodia? Girls not beautiful enough there?

Not cheap (or sleazy) enough, I would think.

Edited by TommoPhysicist