Double Charges For Flying With Air Berlin And Connecting Flight With Etihad.

MidoriApple

Have you ever been in this situation? I will just want to share this, for you to beware.

My BF had flied within this condition from Dusseldorf to BKK, he flied with Air Berlin from DUS to Abu Dhabi and after, with Etihad to BKK.

Since he has moved to stay long-term here, so he has load of stuffs to come along with.

At first, he meant to ship his excess luggage (about 43kgs), but it seemed too long time before arrival, and he would need to use in very soon.

So he decided to call to Air Berlin to ask how much for the overweight charges, airberlin at the first said of EU.100 per each luggage.

but as my own experience for being fined twice time from other airlines and at other countries, I found this is hard to believe for this cheap amount to pay.

So he made second call, and now got new amount of money to pay at EU.150/luggage

(I am confused already how come the same kind of company people has not the same answering like this, has it standard price?)

Finally, he decided to take this fine and would carry all by having 3 luggages with him.

But when checking in to the Air-berlin, he got the more info that the fine that he made in DUS airport, will cover the flying from DUS to Abu dhabi ONLY.

and to continue flying with Etihad, he must make re-checking in his baggages and must pay more for overweight

and this etihad will collect money by weight excess, which take about EU.2,500 in total

I don't write wrong, yes the number is two thousand five hundred euro to pay.

Can you imagine if he flied without this notice and he must pay this ridiculous amount of money, how can he pay, no one will carry this big amount in cash

My BF has no credit card, I cannot imagine how he would be.

After being hectic and figuring out this kinda problem

(and shamed on me that I was sleeping so happily here in bed without worrying whilst he got into tough situation)

Finally he decided to leave his excess luggages at the deposit area in DUS and call his friend to come pick up and DHL to him instead.

Solution is solved perfectly, but he is now farewell, and had hate air berlin so much for giving incomplete infos until this become problem.

(both of the air berlin's staff in phone knew complete route of flying of him)

Seriously, I cannot believe this is service from the company called air berlin, how come it service customers with irresponsibility like this.

Anyway, BF decided not to ask for clarification, he said we will just forget about this airline for good.

Personally, I found this similar situation can be happening, so I will hope this sharing story can be useful for you guys to beware./ cheers.

:facepalm:

How can you blame Air Berlin for charges levied by Etihad ??

A little research on the subject would have yielded all the answers.

I cannot understand how anyone can expect to pay only one luggage surcharge when flying 2 flight legs with 2 different companies.

And if your friend's German or English was as clear as in your post above, I can understand that phone inquiries resulted with different answers.

Some companies have greater luggage allowances, even greater when flying business.

I think 43 Kg would be no problem flying business with Oman or Etihad (and maybe even Emirates since they recently increased their allowance to 30 Kg in Economy)

You should only have to pay one excess luggage fee. Although you fly with two different airlines, the ticket you are issued with only has terms and conditions of one airline. Both airlines would have to follow these conditions, especially as they have a code share agreement.

If your friend purchased a ticket through etihad, then the ticket is issued on etihad paper and he should have only contacted them for advice on excess luggage fees.

It sounds like the agent you spoke to was not fully aware of the conditions of the ticket.

This happens quite a lot for customers flying out of Ireland on an aer lingus operated flights with a BA codeshare flight number. Aer lingus try to charge extra fees when not entitled to as the ticket is owned by BA.

Chris.

Air Berlin is partly owned by Ethihad, so I don't understand this attitude. I flew with Air Berlin from Zurich over Dusseldorf and Abu Dabi to BKK a few months ago with three pieces of excess luggage. I paid E100. each for the whole trip, all Air Berlin. However I did do a lot of research and made a few phone calls before going for this solution. In the end you never know what they are going to do to you once you are in their clutches.

If I had flown with Thai Airways I would have paid something like the sum quoted by the OP.

The way I am reading this is your BF was quoted €100 & then €150 okay that could be an error between €/$.

Your statement that he had to "recheck" his luggage leads me to believe he had two separate tickets ? ? luggage if same ticket should have been tagged DUS-BKK and one rate only.

I cannot understand how anyone can expect to pay only one luggage surcharge when flying 2 flight legs with 2 different companies.

And if your friend's German or English was as clear as in your post above, I can understand that phone inquiries resulted with different answers.

Some companies have greater luggage allowances, even greater when flying business.

I think 43 Kg would be no problem flying business with Oman or Etihad (and maybe even Emirates since they recently increased their allowance to 30 Kg in Economy)

Well, my BF spoke German with the German staff of Air Birlin, so I supposed the weakness of language understanding is not the solution.

What I want to blame Airberlin is the "infos" over the phone that they made, both of twice time, they definitely knew entirely route of his flying, so they exactly known how much of this "entirely" surcharges must be paid, but how come the answers were incomplete and also different in amount?

To search for infos before, already done, but IMO to speak with "staff" should be better than just looked into the website, no?

What I feel so much ridiculous for this is why are we needed to pay twice time just because Airberlin and Etihad have merged (not sure) or make some kind like share code for flying together and they work different system same as this, i, myself..never before into this kind of situation.

I said also to choose to fly with Emirates which has 30 kgs allowance but my BF didn't choice for that.

I'm sorry but... why do people insist on flying with so much junk, you can buy how many shirts & pants for E100? Come to Thailand with an empty bag and buy all you need here.

But maybe people like to show-off how much junk they have.

Flying around the world with big bags or backpacks is totally uncool.

bit off topic but....

I was checking in at Changi and a couple in front of me trying to checkin 120kg!(5bags)

The guy (Italian) was beggging the checkin staff girl but she wasn't going to have any part of it.

As soon as people go to an airport their IQ drops 50%.

And don't get me started with people who carry big bags on BTS....no manners grrrrrrr

Carry a backpack in your hand so you don't knock people.....people!!

Edited by LindsayBKK

It was most probably not "two different companies".

such itineraries usually carry the flight number of only one Airline (interline agreements / code-share) , e.g. if you book on Air Berlin, both of your flights will have an AB code, even though the second leg is operated by EY. same goes if you book on Etihad. then both flights will carry an EY code, even the flight out of Germany might (or might not, as EY itself operates from several airports in Germany too) be operated by AB.

about your comment on the English skills of the OP:

How pathetic of you....... how many languages do YOU speak ?

nuff said

Edited by THAILIBAN

I'm sorry but... why do people insist on flying with so much junk, you can buy how many shirts & pants for E100? Come to Thailand with an empty bag and buy all you need here.

bit off topic but....

I was checking in at Changi and a couple in front of me trying to checkin 120kg!(5bags)

The guy (Italian) was beggging the checkin staff girl but she wasn't going to have any part of it.

And don't get me started with people who carry big bags on BTS....no manners grrrrrrr

Clothes? I guess you never left your country for good and needed your foto gear,, some of the books at least that you have had for many years, simple stuff like a coffee grinder, musical instruments...

I myself generally travel very light but not last time, all my stuff, my life, in 3 suitcases.

Ridiculous comment, seriously.

How do you know what purpose people have for travelling? I regularly travelled with anything from 50-200 kgs of luggage because it was required of me. And I certainly didn't do it to 'show off' how much junk I have. I must be totally uncool thumbsup.gif

The thread is about flying Air Berlin and connecting with Etihad, and some related luggage issues. Let's keep it to that, and leave the BTS out of it shall we?

bit off topic but....

Clothes? I guess you never left your country for good and needed your foto gear,, some of the books at least that you have had for many years, simple stuff like a coffee grinder, musical instruments...

I myself generally travel very light but not last time, all my stuff, my life, in 3 suitcases.

Airlines are like banks there are always hidden fee's.

I think his girlfriend is more upset than he is.

Maybe she's worried he's gonna spend all his money before he gets to Thailand.

I moved to Thailand with a 16kg bag (photos on cd's). Gave or sold all I had before moving.

Coffee grinder yeh good idea 555555

That's the problem with people they get attached to stuff

Edited by LindsayBKK

such itineraries usually carry the flight number of only one Airline (interline agreements / code-share) , e.g. if you book on Air Berlin, both of your flights will have an AB code, even though the second leg is operated by EY. same goes if you book on Etihad. then both flights will carry an EY code, even the flight out of Germany might (or might not, as EY itself operates from several airports in Germany too) be operated by AB.

nuff said

Thank you indeed for some of your nice concerns about my English, I must admit I am not that perfect, Eng is not my native language, anyway. Being here since 2008, I have been kinda used to this talking down other unknown people in here, feel more amusing when thinking of their Thai ability, can bet my "poor English" would be load better, So, if some would talk shit to me, better did shit themselves. Seriously, I don't really much care.

For the stuffs my BF brought along, mostly are tools for his work, he took only few shirts, 3 jeans, 1 underpants and 1 pair of socks which he wore that day.

• Like 2

bit off topic but....

Airlines are like banks there are always hidden fee's.

I think his girlfriend is more upset than he is.

Maybe she's worried he's gonna spend all his money before he gets to Thailand.

I moved to Thailand with a 16kg bag (photos on cd's). Gave or sold all I had before moving.

Coffee grinder yeh good idea 555555

That's the problem with people they get attached to stuff

not making a good impression on people, Lindsay. Not me anyway.

• Like 1

nuff said

I speak German and French as a native, English quite fluently, as well as basic Russian and Thai.

My intent was not to criticize OP's level of English, it was simply to point out that the different rates given could have been the consequence of a miscommunication.

Regarding the thread's subject: we don't know if OP's BF booked one trip through to BKK with two legs (in which case full luggage surcharge should have been levied in Germany) or if he booked two separate flights.

OP's post seems to suggest 2 tickets.

And as a previous poster suggested, I wouldn't fly again with AB if I can avoid it, because it delivers sub-par for everything, except that they are sometimes the cheapest option and sometimes have direct flights.