Critically Low Supply Of Donated Blood Leaves Hospitals In Precarious Position: Thailand

webfact

Critically low supply of donated blood leaves hospitals in precarious position

Puangchompoo Prasert

The Nation

30194521-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The country's supply of donated blood has dwindled to the point that it now takes the National Blood Centre a few days to respond to a hospital's request for blood.

The longer critical patients have to wait, the greater the risk to their health and their lives.

"We used to be able to respond within one day," the centre's director Dr Soisa-ang Pikulsod said yesterday.

The number of blood donors has dropped to just 1,200 a day, she said. In the past, between 1,500 and 1,600 people donated blood to her centre. Located on Henri Dunant Road, it is a part of the Royal Red Cross Society.

Although her centre dispatches mobile blood-donation units to various places, the number of donors to those units has also dropped lately to just 100 a day.

"The shortage of donated blood is reaching a critical point," Soisa-ang said.

She said that in critical cases patients could not wait long, but hospitals would not perform surgery when they knew they did not have enough blood units in hand.

Donated blood must undergo a series of checks to ensure that it is safe for use. The process takes at least eight hours. In other words, donated blood cannot be immediately given to patients.

"Our stock of donated blood is equivalent to just a 10-day supply," Soisa-ang said.

She believes the number of blood donors has dropped partly because there is a public belief that there are ample stocks.

"Many blood donors volunteer to help only when there are public pleas," she said.

Soisa-ang said up to 60 per cent of blood donors gave just once a year, mainly on special occasions such as their birthdays or New Year.

"I hope people will donate twice a year. That way, we will get enough blood," she said.

The National Blood Centre is open every day: 8am-4.30pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 7.30am-7.30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays; and 8.30am-3.30pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

Rajavithi Hospital director Dr Warunee Jinarat said she was aware of the shortage at the National Blood Centre.

"So now, we have asked relatives of inpatients, soldiers and staff of nearby agencies to donate blood," she said.

She said blood donations could be made directly at the Rajavithi Hospital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-17

It would be far better if there were more than 'limited' places blood could be donated. I for one would happily donate but it is way out of my way to get to these points. Mobile Units? A 'drive for blood'? Get creative and solve the problem. I am sure many members here would be willing to pitch in. Maybe the mods and admin can organise something?

• Like 1

Absolutely, get creative, get some TV & radio stations in on the act, instead of all the 'whitening cream" cr@p we have to watch.

Mobile units in all provinces prominently advertising donation days & locations, even local doctors & hospitals having a room available for all visitors to donate before they leave.

They should pay people for donations.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Only with proper screening, they just need to raise awareness.I gave almost 2 x annually in the UK. They came to my place of work. Initially it was for a week. The site had over 8000 employees plus contractors.

Edited by Mosha

FWIW O-ve is the universal blood type, and can be used for most if not all other blood types. Most Thais are I believe O+ve. Oh and they don't take as much as the UK 555

Edited by Mosha

I am in lop buri where can I donate? Or which site can I check to find out?

You should be able to do it at your hospital in Muang Lop buri

Do I just walk in with my blood donor card? And my passport. I used to donate 4 times a year in SA. I would get a text when the mobile units were in the area and then just go after work.

Do I just walk in with my blood donor card? And my passport. I used to donate 4 times a year in SA. I would get a text when the mobile units were in the area and then just go after work.

You should not need your passport.

You don't need any documents just turn up.

If anyone has any misgivings about donating in Thailand I can assure you that the standards are good, a lot of places even have a TV. If only you could get a nice cup of tea afterwards instead of the sickly sweet pop they give you.

• Like 1

It would be far better if there were more than 'limited' places blood could be donated. I for one would happily donate but it is way out of my way to get to these points. Mobile Units? A 'drive for blood'? Get creative and solve the problem. I am sure many members here would be willing to pitch in. Maybe the mods and admin can organise something?

Agree with this ... I am O+, would be

More than happy to donate regularly, but it is not convenient to get to the location mentioned by Red Cross

Is it possible to donate at any local hospital?

Agree with this ... I am O+, would be

More than happy to donate regularly, but it is not convenient to get to the location mentioned by Red Cross

Is it possible to donate at any local hospital?

I have donated at the Red Cross and 2 of the local hospitals here on Phuket. I would presume it is the same everywhere.

The answer to Thailand's shortage of donors will not be solved by an enthusiastic response from the first 19 posters on here. I think 19 pints plus was less than even the great Thai thinkers settled on. Could be wrong.

The problem, Thais don't donate their blood in adequate numbers, needs to be solved. They shed their blood in some of the greatest numbers seen outside of a war zone but like so much stuff in Thailand it is allowed to run down the gutters from the smashed limbs and motorcycles at the side of the road. Perhaps if collection pots were placed along all main roads it could be collected as it spurts from severed arteries into the plastic bowls people call helmets.

Models from other countries, always a touchy subject, should be studied and copied. But then the problem of trusting farangs arises; being seen to suggest that anything 'foreign' may benefit Thailand; and, not knowing how to solve the problem without foreign intelligence, always has to be avoided.

Then there is the basic lack of health care, provision, facilities, technology, communication or education. Ask for blood and half the country will be boiling a pint and delivering the rubbery blob in a plastic bag, the like of which they sell and do so enjoy in the market. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty!

Add to that the inevitable corrupting influences whereby 30% of anything disappears into the back pockets and you're left with donating a pint into a half pint pot. We could have clinics collecting it. Clinics based in hotels where those increasingly UV whitened and vain thai women go to save money and have their fat sucked up a starw and injected into their brain to make them more clever. One leading pretty said, 'I saw it in a cartoon so it must be true'.

It is a problem and I'm scratching my head to think of any examples that are positive where Thais have managed a situation to achieve a desired outcome. In parliament they are considering genetically modifying mosquitoes, making them the size of herons, and using them to extract the blood.

If building futsal stadiums is anything to go by we'll be receiving urine transfusions and told it'll work anyway - safety no problem.

If only Thais could provide blood in the same quantity that they deliver their daughters, young and fresh, to the brothels that operate from Phuket to Pattaya. The streets would run with the stuff on a par to match any red shirt rally.

Really the Thais need look no further than Pattaya and it's discreet blood doning. Take 5 Thai guys and set them on one unsuspecting farang. Thais who operate car hire businesses at 4 in the morning are experts in blood extraction and the spin off is all the work they generate for the local hospitals stitching up the concussed tourist afterwards. Oh, it does make for a fun filled holiday. The holiday snaps will entertain back home: 'And here's another one of me having 35 stitches inserted in the head wound. Care of Hertz [and boy does it!] Thailand.

That's the same tourist that the sweet and dear, not to be taken seriously Thai PM just promised the British PM would be safe here in Thailand. And I quote: 'It am the thing not dead that show they come safe because have holiday.' Well that clinches it for me. Clear as a bell - end.

So expect to be infused with ketchup aroma from a bubbling pot in a corner, told to not ride a bicycle too vigorously for a couple of days but you can go jogging no problem as it up to you.

I just went to try donate at the blood drive at the big c in lop buri, I took with Id and my donor card and my address just to be safe. I was told to please go donate at the Red Cross in Bangkok. Really?!? Then you can't be hard up for my blood because if you expect me to sit on a bus or train for +- 3 hours to let you take my blood so I can repeat the journey you must be nuts. What a waste of my time.

Rant over

The answer to Thailand's shortage of donors will not be solved by an enthusiastic response from the first 19 posters on here. I think 19 pints plus was less than even the great Thai thinkers settled on. Could be wrong.

The problem, Thais don't donate their blood in adequate numbers, needs to be solved. They shed their blood in some of the greatest numbers seen outside of a war zone but like so much stuff in Thailand it is allowed to run down the gutters from the smashed limbs and motorcycles at the side of the road. Perhaps if collection pots were placed along all main roads it could be collected as it spurts from severed arteries into the plastic bowls people call helmets.

Models from other countries, always a touchy subject, should be studied and copied. But then the problem of trusting farangs arises; being seen to suggest that anything 'foreign' may benefit Thailand; and, not knowing how to solve the problem without foreign intelligence, always has to be avoided.

Then there is the basic lack of health care, provision, facilities, technology, communication or education. Ask for blood and half the country will be boiling a pint and delivering the rubbery blob in a plastic bag, the like of which they sell and do so enjoy in the market. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tasty!

Add to that the inevitable corrupting influences whereby 30% of anything disappears into the back pockets and you're left with donating a pint into a half pint pot. We could have clinics collecting it. Clinics based in hotels where those increasingly UV whitened and vain thai women go to save money and have their fat sucked up a starw and injected into their brain to make them more clever. One leading pretty said, 'I saw it in a cartoon so it must be true'.

It is a problem and I'm scratching my head to think of any examples that are positive where Thais have managed a situation to achieve a desired outcome. In parliament they are considering genetically modifying mosquitoes, making them the size of herons, and using them to extract the blood.

If building futsal stadiums is anything to go by we'll be receiving urine transfusions and told it'll work anyway - safety no problem.

If only Thais could provide blood in the same quantity that they deliver their daughters, young and fresh, to the brothels that operate from Phuket to Pattaya. The streets would run with the stuff on a par to match any red shirt rally.

Really the Thais need look no further than Pattaya and it's discreet blood doning. Take 5 Thai guys and set them on one unsuspecting farang. Thais who operate car hire businesses at 4 in the morning are experts in blood extraction and the spin off is all the work they generate for the local hospitals stitching up the concussed tourist afterwards. Oh, it does make for a fun filled holiday. The holiday snaps will entertain back home: 'And here's another one of me having 35 stitches inserted in the head wound. Care of Hertz [and boy does it!] Thailand.

That's the same tourist that the sweet and dear, not to be taken seriously Thai PM just promised the British PM would be safe here in Thailand. And I quote: 'It am the thing not dead that show they come safe because have holiday.' Well that clinches it for me. Clear as a bell - end.

So expect to be infused with ketchup aroma from a bubbling pot in a corner, told to not ride a bicycle too vigorously for a couple of days but you can go jogging no problem as it up to you.

grind that axe why dontcha?

Edited by tinfoilhat

I'd be happy to give blood but ... I lived in England during the 80's and are banned from donating it in Australia due to

Mad Cow - Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD)

Although the number of cases of vCJD (the human form of 'mad cow disease' or bovine spongiform encephalopathy) in the United Kingdom is declining, in the absence of a screening test, the full extent of exposure is not known.

Since 2004, there have been a small number of reported cases of patients in the United Kingdom (UK) diagnosed with vCJD who have been infected through blood transfusion.

Based on this information, and in the absence of a reliable screening test for vCJD in blood, the Blood Service has implemented policies to reduce the risk of vCJD transmission through blood transfusion in Australia. Currently we exclude people from donating who:

• Have resided in the UK between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996 for a total (cumulative) time of 6 months or more,

or

• Have received blood transfusions in the UK since 1 January 1980.

Unfortunately, because of the extensive time period covered by the deferral and the possibility of unknowing exposure to beef or beef products, it is not possible to exempt vegetarians who have resided in the UK for a cumulative period of 6 months or more during the risk years.

The Blood Service is monitoring progress in the development of a reliable blood screening test for vCJD. Should this deferral policy be changed for any reason, please be assured that this information will be disseminated widely.

HERE