Obtaining Levothyroxine In Thailand

tebee

I've recently been diagnosed with under-performing thyroid that they believe is due to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I'm currently waiting to see an Endocrinologist, but have had a long talk with my doctor and he says the treatment is almost certainly going to be levothyroxine( artificial thyroid hormone), but it will take several months for them to sort out the right dose.

Now this is a little unfortunate as I'm due to travel to Thailand soon for about 3 months. Now my wife has arranged regular lab tests for me when I get there, but I'm wondering how easy it is going to be to obtain the levothyroxine if I need to increase the dose. Here it is a prescription medication, but my wife seem to think it can be obtain OTC in Thailand. I'm a little dubious of this as it's sometimes used as an illegal slimming aid.

I was wondering if there was anything like a website which tells you which drugs are available only on prescription in Thailand?

No worries!

Levothyroxine sodium, brand name EUTHYROX sold all over Thailand over the counter.

Produced in Germany. Not sure how an imported med is so cheap, but it is.

Box of 100 pills example price 122 baht, dose 100 micrograms. These pills are designed to be easily split into quarters, even by hand. So if your dose is 125 micrograms, very easy.

Some smaller Thai pharmacies will have another brand of the thyroid hormone in big bottles (of I think 1000 pills) and will sell by the pill.

I suggest seeking out the EUTHYROX in the boxes of 100.

I think they also have a dose of 50 micrograms, but more common to see the 100 dose.

I know for a fact, full confidence, you won't need a scrip to buy thyroid hormone replacement meds in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Ah thanks, so my wife was right ! I should learn to trust her rolleyes.gif One less thing to worry about .

Now just have to hope I don't have to wait too long for the Endo appointment. Got about 3 weeks work to finish off before I come anyway, but if I don't get it by then it's getting awfully close to the Christmas/New year gap and I don't want to leave it till after I've been to Thailand.

There are some very good endos in Bkk. Dr. Roasanee at Bumrungrad Hospital has treated several TV members with Hashimotos and gotten good reviews. So if you need any tests or consultation while here, can be done. Bring a medical summary and copies of the most recent lab tests with you to simplify matters.

As noted by poster above, the medication is no problem, readily available OTC. If you do need to see Dr. Rosanee, politely decline to buy the med at the hospital pharamcy and buy it outside as there is considerable hospital mark up.

• Like 1