Entering The Kingdom Without Return Ticket!

Guest Froggy

Hi!

I'm preparing my self to go in Thailand with a Tourist Visa Double Entries and with an open ticket for the return.

I'm from Canada and will probably use Air Canada and Thai Airways to reach Thaialnd.

Is it possible that one of these 2 airlines can refuse me because I don't have a return date and also, is it possible that the officer at the Bangkok Airport require a Return Ticket?

Froggy

I guess it depends on your nationality.

I'm a US citizen & have flown in here NUMEROUS (50+ times) without a return ticket.

The worst I ever had was once in Orlando, when the United Airlines check-in agent didn't want to issue me a boarding pass unless I had a return ticket (the airlines get fined for allowing inappropriate visa-holders boarding passes in many countries).

I just slapped down the AMEX card & told her "Sell me a 1st class return ticket for the maximum price" as I was just going to go get a refund on it once I hit BKK.

That addled her enough that she queried her supervisor about it, and they allowed me to board without buying a return ticket.

The airlines def. request either visa or return ticket. Wether or not they allow you to board, is another thing. I mentioned b4 in around 50% of all cases the airline-staff questions my p/port having no visa and my ticket ending in BKK. (I keep my Thai-visa in a different book).

The closer to Thailand you check in, the stricter the rules are implemented.

Why take the risk?

I flew in from the UK with BA and was not asked about a return ticket, however both times I've flown in from Oz (Melbourne and Sydney) with Thai they have demanded to see my return tickets. But you don't need to return to your point of origin, you just need to prove you are going to leave the country. Try buying the cheapest ticket out you can (for example Bangkok air from Samui to Singapore) and then get a refund after you get here. It's better than sitting in the airport with your bags packed and watching the happy tourists leave without you!

I panicked last December as my return ticket date went 9 days beyond my projected 30-day visa-free entry. But Thai let me board and the immigration officer merely scanned my ticket before stamping me in for 30 days. I guess they rationalise most tourists are sensible enough to get a 10-day extension within the country for Baht 1900, which I did. or could have crossed any border for another 30-day entry. But actually it's wiser to get a tourist visa at home for peace-of-mind.

I flew in from the UK with BA and was not asked about a return ticket, however both times I've flown in from Oz (Melbourne and Sydney) with Thai they have demanded to see my return tickets. But you don't need to return to your point of origin, you just need to prove you are going to leave the country. Try buying the cheapest ticket out you can (for example Bangkok air from Samui to Singapore) and then get a refund after you get here. It's better than sitting in the airport with your bags packed and watching the happy tourists leave without you!

Mightn't it be a whole lot easier to just get a sixty day tourist visa? Immigration and the airlines are toughening their stance because of security issues. Airlines bringing in a punter who is denied entry are fined 20,000 baht, and have to uplift that passenger on their first available flight.