Does Thailand Have The Ability To Make Good Cheese?

rene123

Other than tourists and expats, is there even a market for good cheese in Thailand? I see lots of cattle in the Thai country, but do they provide the milk needed to make good cheese? I wonder, because the only good cheese that I can find has been imported and it costs about 3 times what a similar amount would cost in Canada, and it's not as good. I'm not a cheese maker and I don't even know the process, but I was really curious after searching the market for sharp, Canadian chedder, and not finding any. The cheese I did see was imported and it was way too expensive for my pocketbook. It must be frustrating for those that want to make pizza.

• Like 1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all the replies. And, thank you, Nam for your information on lactose intolerance. I didn't know that.

Apparently more people are lactose intolerant than not.

We really only need milk when we are babies.

If you drink milk or eat milk based products and need the toilet, then your probably lactose intolerant.

Sorry for going off topic!

I don't miss a lot from my home country UK but cheese I must admit is one thing I do dream of.

In my province real cheese is nowhere to be found, a bit like farangs which is probably the reason.

Even my local Big C stocks only the plastic squares of the processed cr@p.

No hard or soft cheeses to be found any where!

Luckily I have a German friend who comes over twice a year & brings me supplies.

• Like 1

I don't miss a lot from my home country UK but cheese I must admit is one thing I do dream of.

In my province real cheese is nowhere to be found, a bit like farangs which is probably the reason.

Even my local Big C stocks only the plastic squares of the processed cr@p.

No hard or soft cheeses to be found any where!

Luckily I have a German friend who comes over twice a year & brings me supplies.

Really?

I thought that Tescos nationwide carried the Mainland cheeses imported from Oz. I prefer Mainland Vintage (185 Bt, 200 Grms), but if they don't have that the Tasty will do.

There was about a 2 month period that the local branch didn't have the cheese and I pointed this out to one of the people in charge of staff training. Amazingly, next time I went, there it was :)

What province are you in? Maybe somebody here can tell you where you can go to get cheese.

Before 5 years ago, I used to have to travel 100Km to Udon Thani to get cheese, but then the local Tescos started to stock it.

• Like 1

I thought that Tescos nationwide carried the Mainland cheeses imported from Oz. I prefer Mainland Vintage (185 Bt, 200 Grms), but if they don't have that the Tasty will do.

Tesco Lamai (Samui) carry Mainland cheese but I don't recall seeing vintage, only Tasty which is not to my taste. The local Tesco does have a reasonable selection of imported European cheeses but the prices are insane so I don't often even bother looking unless I'm going to a party or dinner at a friends place. I've had a couple of local soft chesses over the years which have not been too bad but as UG says above, aged cheese is very poor. To me it doesn't taste mature, it just tastes old and almost dusty.

Great minds cheeseheads think alike, good stuff that.

200 grms at 185 baht is about 3 times what I pay in Canada. I can get an 800 to 900 grm block of Canadian chedder for about 8 dollars. By my calculations, 800 grams of cheese in Thailand would cost 740 baht, or about $24.

200 grms at 185 baht is about 3 times what I pay in Canada. I can get an 800 to 900 grm block of Canadian chedder for about 8 dollars. By my calculations, 800 grams of cheese in Thailand would cost 740 baht, or about $24.

The good thing is that eating too much cheese is probably not good for you.

I probably get through 200Grms in a month and I really enjoy every single mouthfull.

Have a splash out one time and try the Mainland vintage. Make a cheese omelete and only use a third of the cheese that you would usually use in Canada.

When I come back home after a shopping trip to Tesco, nearly every time I make a loosley mixed omelete ( so you can see broken white and yolk, spread with grated Mainland vintage (just melting) on a a fresh french stick with mayonaisse I'm in heaven. Especially if I have home grown tomatoes at the time.

Tesco Lamai (Samui) carry Mainland cheese but I don't recall seeing vintage, only Tasty which is not to my taste. The local Tesco does have a reasonable selection of imported European cheeses but the prices are insane so I don't often even bother looking unless I'm going to a party or dinner at a friends place. I've had a couple of local soft chesses over the years which have not been too bad but as UG says above, aged cheese is very poor. To me it doesn't taste mature, it just tastes old and almost dusty.

In my local store, vintage is the most expensive of the Mainland cheeses and always the first to run out.

If you ever do see it stocked, give it a try, I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Mainland is a New Zealand cheese.

Mainland is a New Zealand cheese.

Brand name is. I believe cheese sold in Aus under the 'Mainland' brand is produced in Aus for the Aus market and that is what is sold in Thailand. I'd rather have Edendale if Kiwi cheese is shipped here anyway.

You weren't expecting it to cost the same as at home, surely?

Oh and by the way, if you can't get Mainland vintage, and have to take Mainland Tasty, always use cold.

Heating tasty does nothing for the flavour!

I dunno, comes out alright in a jaffle, Thailand's converted me to Sriracha sauce rather than Heinz 57. . .

So if you're poor you eat a bit less of it per week that's all.

Or were you suggesting we avoid coming over to Thailand because cheese is so dear?

The Bega cheese in the black package is not to bad, but alas also expensive.

For those in BKK the Tops in Central Rama 9 has a cheese room, which appears to be a well kept secret. It is towards the back near the liquor. Unfortunately still expensive, but a good range.

Cheers

Brand name is. I believe cheese sold in Aus under the 'Mainland' brand is produced in Aus for the Aus market and that is what is sold in Thailand. I'd rather have Edendale if Kiwi cheese is shipped here anyway.

Everything I found indicates that it a NZ cheese. But given that it is owned Fonterra, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cheese is made in Aus.

Other than tourists and expats, is there even a market for good cheese in Thailand?

the majority of ethnic Asians have a problem with lactose intolerance. that's why the market is rather limited.

Up to 90 percent of South Asians may be lactose intolerant. Lactose intolerance, which is due to the inability to digest milk sugars, is a common disorder caused by a deficiency of the lactase enzyme in the digestive system. Lactose intolerance is three times more common in South Asians than in other populations.

http://www.pamf.org/...ns/lactose.html

That's actually correct. They don't have a dairy culture and thus not used to the variety of these products or its by-products.

Everything I found indicates that it a NZ cheese. But given that it is owned Fonterra, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cheese is made in Aus.

Perhaps it's made in NZ for the AUS market. The taste of 'Tasty' cheese is not the same in NZ as it is in Aus that's for sure. Both are poor IMO but the Kiwi stuff is better. Someone mentioned Bega above, couple of hundred kms south of Sydney, good cheese when I went there some years back.

Perhaps it's made in NZ for the AUS market. The taste of 'Tasty' cheese is not the same in NZ as it is in Aus that's for sure. Both are poor IMO but the Kiwi stuff is better. Someone mentioned Bega above, couple of hundred kms south of Sydney, good cheese when I went there some years back.

Bega is good stuff. It's one of my favourites. I've got some in the fridge (here in Bangkok).