Driving Cambodia Registered Car Into Thailand - Done It?

Gettingaround

I want to drive my Cambodia registered LHD car though the Poipet border into Thailand for a 3 week holiday. I have driving licences for Cambodia, Thailand & UK. I also have a retirement visa for Thailand. Has anybody done this or do you know where I could get definitive information?

If the car is in your name, you have the registration documents, and the Cambodia authorities allow you to export the car temporarily (leave the country), you can do.

This means, having a carnet for the car, a kind of passport.

Cambodia: Export the car on a short time basis to Thailand;

Thailand: Import car on a short time basis into Thailand.

You need insurance for Thailand, can buy at the Thai side of the border..

You having a retirement visa (or extension of stay?) might give the Thai customs the idea to let you pay a security, which you will get back when returning the car to Cambodia.

Chance is you will only get a 7-day permit, this being the first time.

Also, next time you do this the whole circus will be shorter, because the car's identity will have been registered in Thailand

The car being LHD is not a problem for a visit.

you will get 30 days bringing ur car into Thailand. Do make sure u get insurance

Note the Cambodian customs building is on the right about 200 meters before immigration.

Thai customs is smack dab in the middle of the road right near where immigration is, where they will do the paperwork for ur car.

I drove thru this border in August with my Thai car ( Cambodia back to Thailand)

Never heard of a car passport for a Cambodia car although i do have one ( purple book) for my Thai car.

After u clear Cambodia immigration u drive ur car up an park it in the center of the road ( most likely there will be other cars there as well) , than u go to the left an get stamped into Thailand, AS u exit the building u have to go outside and go "back" to drive ur car up to the shack in the middle .