Obama Hails Thai Ties

webfact

THAI-US RELATIONS

Obama hails Thai ties

Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation, Agencies

30194583-01_big.jpg

Obama, accompanied by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, reviews a guard of honour during a welcome ceremony at Government House.

It's no accident that Kingdom is first post-poll stop, he says; President commends Thai commitment to democracy

BANGKOK: -- US President Barack Obama styles himself as America's first Pacific president. Yesterday he introduced both cultural elements and a formal meeting to reaffirm the importance of Thailand - the US's oldest treaty ally - in its strategic "pivot to Asia".

Making Thailand the first stop in his first post-re-election tour was "no accident", he told a press conference at Government House, emphasising the importance of one of the United States' oldest allies, and of the Asia-Pacific, to the future of world security and prosperity. The visit, he stressed, was meant to boost political and economic ties with countries in this region.

Speaking after a welcome speech by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama greeted the audience by saying "sawaddee krub" and hailed the prime minister's English as "much better than my Thai". Then he went on to hail Thailand's commitment to democracy.

Earlier, Obama began his visit to the Kingdom at the royal monastery of Wat Pho, which US Ambassador Kristie Kenney dubbed the most beautiful temple in the world.

In March 2008, Unesco listed Wat Pho, also known as the Temple of the Reclining Buddha, on its Memory of the World register. Its Thai traditional massage sculptures are known all over the world. The temple - its official name is Wat Phra Chetuphon Vimolmangkla-rarm - was the first public university in the Kingdom and a centre of knowledge for many subjects. Each day, about 10,000 tourists visit the temple, half of them foreigners, according to deputy abbot Phra Udornkanarak, who guided Obama on the temple tour.

After the temple visit, His Majesty the King granted President Obama a Royal audience at Siriraj Hospital.

"We felt it was very important to begin this trip by visiting a US ally," Ben Rhodes, deputy US national security adviser, told reporters travelling to Asia with Obama on Air Force One. "Allies are the cornerstone of our re-balancing effort in Asia," he said, referring to Thailand. The visit also celebrated the countries' long diplomatic ties, whose 180th anniversary is celebrated next year.

Yingluck took a break from the Asean summit in Phnom Penh yesterday and flew back to the capital to greet Obama and meet with him to discuss various issues of strategic cooperation.

A formal welcome ceremony was held at Government House before the meeting of the two leaders and a dinner. The dinner featured spicy salmon salad, crispy noodles, somtam (spicy papaya salad), grilled chicken, Northeastern-style sausage, soup with beef balls and vegetables, green curry with beef, salted yolk with shredded pork, fried vegetables with crab meat, grilled prawns with tamarind sauce, and fragrant jasmine rice. Dessert included Thai fruits, sweetmeat with coconut cream, fruit-shaped marchpane, and Thong Ek sweetmeat.

Later, Obama met and greeted United States Embassy personnel at Chulalong-korn University.

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also arrived in Bangkok from Singapore to join the president's trip to Thailand and later Myanmar. She said the US president had spent considerable time in Southeast Asia now, because so much of what would become the history of the 21st century was being written here.

After Thailand and Myanmar, Obama will visit Cambodia for the Asean and East Asia summits, before leaving for Washington tomorrow evening.

Yingluck's government announced earlier the intention to join a regional free-trade scheme, the Trans Pacific Partner-ship (TPP). It has prompted strong criticism from academic and civic groups concerned about possible damage to the local economy as well as allowing too much US economic influence. Anti-free trade group FTA Watch and local activists yesterday held a brief protest in front of Don Mueang Airport, expressing their disagreement with the TPP.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-19

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking after a welcome speech by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama greeted the audience by saying "sawaddee krub" and hailed the prime minister's English as "much better than my Thai".

This statement makes me laugh, he must know the low down on how she got into power, is he laughing at her poor English?

We can see from the pic that the pleasure is all hers, I guess she will gain credibility from this meeting.

I'd love it if he met Abhisit as well, for a proper conversation, I expect he's thinking the same thing in this pic :)

• Like 2

This statement makes me laugh, he must know the low down on how she got into power, is he laughing at her poor English?

No, he's complimenting her English. Sorry if that upsets your agenda.

I'd love it if he met Abhisit as well, for a proper conversation, I expect he's thinking the same thing in this pic smile.png

And there it is...

Do tell us, why should he meet Abhisit? Didn't he lose the election? If the Prime Minister visits the US should she diss Obama and visit with Romney?

Its clear that Obama should have met with whoever received more votes.....

• Like 1

Speaking after a welcome speech by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama greeted the audience by saying "sawaddee krub" and hailed the prime minister's English as "much better than my Thai".

We can see from the pic that the pleasure is all hers, I guess she will gain credibility from this meeting.

I'd love it if he met Abhisit as well, for a proper conversation, I expect he's thinking the same thing in this pic smile.png

To the contrary, I believe President Obama was well briefed on the pithy comments against the PM's English by the opposition (who just can't get over that they lost, pure and simple). He was making a smart, though somewhat humorous point for Thais against the current PM to move on.

Case in point: in his speech President Obama applauded the role of democracy in Thailand which resulted in the national election, and he went on to congratulate PM Yinglick. One can't say that about the last PM, his Oxford English not withstanding, as he was APPOINTED through a military coup. To suggest President Obama should meet with Mr. Abhisit (not PM Abhisit) is as absurd and recommending PM Yingluck meet with losing presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Change happens, hence the term "progressive". Get over it and move on already.

Any idea who he met with in Burma? Find out. Think about it. Not just the 'winners' of the election but with the person who is slightly more qualified to be in power. Why not in Thailand as well?

BTW It's only progressive if progress is being made :)

Edited by looping

And there it is...

Do tell us, why should he meet Abhisit? Didn't he lose the election? If the Prime Minister visits the US should she diss Obama and visit with Romney?

Maybe Romney and Abhisit can have the next meeting. They can discuss that pesky 47% that won't go away. smile.png

• Like 2

To the contrary, I believe President Obama was well briefed on the pithy comments against the PM's English by the opposition (who just can't get over that they lost, pure and simple). He was making a smart, though somewhat humorous point for Thais against the current PM to move on.

Case in point: in his speech President Obama applauded the role of democracy in Thailand which resulted in the national election, and he went on to congratulate PM Yinglick. One can't say that about the last PM, his Oxford English not withstanding, as he was APPOINTED through a military coup. To suggest President Obama should meet with Mr. Abhisit (not PM Abhisit) is as absurd and recommending PM Yingluck meet with losing presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Any idea who he met with in Burma? Find out. Think about it. Not just the 'winners' of the election but with the person who is slightly more qualified to be in power. Why not in Thailand as well?

BTW It's only progressive if progress is being made smile.png

Exactly - judging by the expansion going on in Chiang Mai this past year, progress and business expansion is finally underway after years of economic stagnation. Thanks for agreeing in absentia.

As RIJB said in a previous post, Romney and Abhisit can meet to discuss that pesky 47% getting under their respective skins.

• Like 1

I think he is just being gracious to his host. Good on him! I agree, he probably would have a slight headier conversation with Abhisit! :)

• Like 1

One could equate Yingluck with Iran President , who's not in control but just a front for the Iranian Clerics the real powermen. We dont need to guess who's in control of Thailand

• Like 1

Love the way he "hails Thai democacy" too. Does look like the Obama administration has decided to support the Shiniwatra clan though, based on his and Hilary's previous supportive comments.

Love the way he "hails Thai democacy" too. Does look like the Obama administration has decided to support the Shiniwatra clan though, based on his and Hilary's previous supportive comments.

Seems absolutely correct. She won a vote, as dodgy as it may have been, it beats coups or back room deals hands down.

Deal with the dems, or the army, you are basically dealing with a bygone age in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just like when Obama came to Australia and PM Gillard was in awe and instantly agreed to his US forces base in Northern Australia.

Does Gillard really speak like that, or is her accent exagarated to to appear like one of the "masses"?

Maybe Yingluck pretends to speak bad English. Not only does this keep face with the vast majority of Thais who can't speak English well; but it throws the foreign leaders off guard.

Cleverly cunning these female PM's.wink.png

Edited by Baerboxer

BTW It's only progressive if progress is being made smile.png

Exactly - judging by the expansion going on in Chiang Mai this past year, progress and business expansion is finally underway after years of economic stagnation. Thanks for agreeing in absentia.

As RIJB said in a previous post, Romney and Abhisit can meet to discuss that pesky 47% getting under their respective skins.

You can stick a fork in Romney as his political career is done. Dude is a psychopath and speaking his mind finally exposed him last week. Republicans are now distancing themselves from Romney. Pretty frightening he came so close to election. Dude just had this psychopathic unstable look.

I don't think Abihist would even want to speak with him now.

• Like 1

Just like when Obama came to Australia and PM Gillard was in awe and instantly agreed to his US forces base in Northern Australia.

Does Gillard really speak like that, or is her accent exagarated to to appear like one of the "masses"?

Maybe Yingluck pretends to speak bad English. Not only does this keep face with the vast majority of Thais who can't speak English well; but it throws the foreign leaders off guard.

What's astonishing, is they don't appear to have tried to improve her English, although she did passably well yesterday.

An hour a day with a coach and by now she wood bee flewent djust leyek arbeesit.

That's what Yingluck was telling Obama last night that made him smile so broadly. She said "I love cunning linguists." laugh.png

• Like 1

I have a great business idea, would anyone mind if I collected all the broken records in EVERY thread about the current democratically elected PM and tried to sell them, I will let someone else have all the dead horses that are being flogged.

If only boredom was marketable, all the abhist supporters on this site would be loaded.

• Like 2

Seems absolutely correct. She won a vote, as dodgy as it may have been, it beats coups or back room deals hands down.

Deal with the dems, or the army, you are basically dealing with a bygone age in Thailand.

I thought US pesidents got to be party candidates through back room deals? Too much Holywood for me.

Hasn't the US previously helped depose democratically elected South American governments and replaced them with more favourable "regimes" when suits?

This particular government ignores laws, undermines the constitution and judiciary, openly lies, appoints senior positions through nepotism and cronyism and is robbing the country blind. But, I guess that's ok because they were democratically elected and can, and indeed do, what they like.

I have a great business idea, would anyone mind if I collected all the broken records in EVERY thread about the current democratically elected PM and tried to sell them, I will let someone else have all the dead horses that are being flogged.

If only boredom was marketable, all the abhist supporters on this site would be loaded.

You obviously have an interesting notion about democracy. Buy and coercing votes is ok then?

Once in power, the democractically elected government can do what it wants, because it won the election, even if a very small majority.

So, get elected by whatever means, change the rules to suit yourelf, make them up as you go along.

Noticing the levels of government corruption, inadequacy, nepotism, cronyism, and constant lying does not necessarily mean an expression of support for the opposition.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

You obviously have an interesting notion about democracy. Buy and coercing votes is ok then?

Once in power, the democractically elected government can do what it wants, because it won the election, even if a very small majority.

So, get elected by whatever means, change the rules to suit yourelf, make them up as you go along.

no worries, I will cut you in, you can sell the sour grapes.

Every political party in every country in every election buys votes, If i want the civil service votes i promise to increase their pensions, if I want the first time voters I promise to cut university fees etc etc etc.

As for Thailand, they have a system in place that issues yellow and red cards, guess in this last election there was not that much vote buying, and lets not forget the dems have also been guilty of this. No doubt abhisit thought he could just relax, make a pigs ear out of everything and the army would come in and place him back in power, well he got his eye wiped with that one.

• Like 2

And there it is...

Romney has never been president ... but Abhisit has been PM. That's a big difference. I don't think it would be out of line if Thailand's PM visited Bill Clinton, or the Bushes.