Obama Hails Thai Ties

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking after a welcome speech by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama greeted the audience by saying "sawaddee krub" and hailed the prime minister's English as "much better than my Thai".

This statement makes me laugh, he must know the low down on how she got into power, is he laughing at her poor English?

We can see from the pic that the pleasure is all hers, I guess she will gain credibility from this meeting.

I'd love it if he met Abhisit as well, for a proper conversation, I expect he's thinking the same thing in this pic smile.png

Love the way he "hails Thai democacy" too. Does look like the Obama administration has decided to support the Shiniwatra clan though, based on his and Hilary's previous supportive comments.

Seems absolutely correct. She won a vote, as dodgy as it may have been, it beats coups or back room deals hands down.

Deal with the dems, or the army, you are basically dealing with a bygone age in Thailand.

I thought US pesidents got to be party candidates through back room deals? Too much Holywood for me.

Hasn't the US previously helped depose democratically elected South American governments and replaced them with more favourable "regimes" when suits?

This particular government ignores laws, undermines the constitution and judiciary, openly lies, appoints senior positions through nepotism and cronyism and is robbing the country blind. But, I guess that's ok because they were democratically elected and can, and indeed do, what they like.

Perhaps US stays out if the fray unless national or global security and economic issues are at stake. I don't know and perhaps we here can only speculate as to those issues. One can safely assume Thailand has little impact on anything globally and there us not a true humanitarian crisis ongoing requiring intervention.

Is not nepotism and etc. fairly common in third world countries? I think greater concern arises when military coups occur, governments are overthrown, and streets are filled with protectors for weeks at a time shutting down airports, businesses, TV and media outlets, transportation systems and etc.

Just does not seem like it is Obama's or US's place to question or undermind Thai politics or those in power unless national or global security is at issue or a humanitarian crisis is ongoing.

• Like 1

Speaking after a welcome speech by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, Obama greeted the audience by saying "sawaddee krub" and hailed the prime minister's English as "much better than my Thai".

This statement makes me laugh, he must know the low down on how she got into power, is he laughing at her poor English?

We can see from the pic that the pleasure is all hers, I guess she will gain credibility from this meeting.

I'd love it if he met Abhisit as well, for a proper conversation, I expect he's thinking the same thing in this pic smile.png

Actually that subject is generating a great deal of interest.Why exactly did Obama not meet Abhisit since it is absolutely normal, indeed protocol, to meeet the leader of the opposition on visits like this?

In the UK for example Obama met up with Ed Miliband and of course in Myanmar today he met both Thein Sein and Aung San Suu Kyi.Some have argued that this apparent snub to Abhisit and the Democrats was simply because no time was available though even on such a short visit this isn't really credible.Others have argued that Obama and Hilary Clinton are simply making a point about democracy, elections and the need to abandon military interference.I doubt whether it's anything personal.Abhisit made an excellent impression on Bill Clinton when Chuan visited Washington during the latter's presidency when Abhisit was his chief aide.

My hunch is that in the eyes of some foreign leaders Abhisit is damaged goods not so much because of his rather murky path to power (though his reliance on extreme right wingers and military thugs can't have helped,) but more because he is tainted by the events in Bangkok of early 2010.

Your hunch is perhaps correct. Why would Obama want to empower someone associated with a military coup that stepped into power absent a democratic process and that lost control of the country and had to step down. I'd say damaged goods may be an accurate assessment.

• Like 1

Actually that subject is generating a great deal of interest.Why exactly did Obama not meet Abhisit since it is absolutely normal, indeed protocol, to meeet the leader of the opposition on visits like this?

In the UK for example Obama met up with Ed Miliband and of course in Myanmar today he met both Thein Sein and Aung San Suu Kyi.Some have argued that this apparent snub to Abhisit and the Democrats was simply because no time was available though even on such a short visit this isn't really credible.Others have argued that Obama and Hilary Clinton are simply making a point about democracy, elections and the need to abandon military interference.I doubt whether it's anything personal.Abhisit made an excellent impression on Bill Clinton when Chuan visited Washington during the former's presidency when Abhisit was his chief aide.

My hunch is that in the eyes of some foreign leaders Abhisit is damaged goods not so much because of his rather murky path to power (though his reliance on extreme right wingers and military thugs can't have helped,) but more because he is tainted by the events in Bangkok of early 2010.

Because, ordinarily, you either meet the leader of the party that may have politically something in common with your own politics, our the leader of the opposition who may be the next pm, just to hedge your bets.

Obviously, someone judged that abhisit has neither quality. Obama showed very clearly where the usa sees the long term political future of Thailand going. Anyone notice, wenjibao is meeting Prem?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Love the way he "hails Thai democacy" too. Does look like the Obama administration has decided to support the Shiniwatra clan though, based on his and Hilary's previous supportive comments.

Seems absolutely correct. She won a vote, as dodgy as it may have been, it beats coups or back room deals hands down.

Deal with the dems, or the army, you are basically dealing with a bygone age in Thailand.

I thought US pesidents got to be party candidates through back room deals? Too much Holywood for me.

Hasn't the US previously helped depose democratically elected South American governments and replaced them with more favourable "regimes" when suits?

This particular government ignores laws, undermines the constitution and judiciary, openly lies, appoints senior positions through nepotism and cronyism and is robbing the country blind. But, I guess that's ok because they were democratically elected and can, and indeed do, what they like.

No it makes perfect sense diplomatically. yingluck will continue to win elections. Lest we forget that ALL sides have refused international monitors always. That is the accepted Thai system.

Call it expediency, but you could also call it democracy building, that exactly what this country needs is for everyone to grow up and accept elections instead of crying for coups every 2 years.

He backed the winner of what was an election. it isn't his fault that the Thai system can't catch them for vote rigging our corruption. That is a Thai problem. His interest is to breed stability and democracy in Thailand. Not to support coups and undemocratic action.

Actually, very clever. It has now become a very big issue for the elite. Their support just got a little weaker, there is a new player in town. Actually, it is even cleverer because, by supporting ptp as corrupt as they are, he has clearly stated, that the usa prefers to deal with democratically elected governments over all other, irrespective if how desperate the situation may be.

So, the next step is for the system to make strong controls on all parties on elections. So that should reduce corruption on all sides right?

Clean up your house, and no more coups. Clear message.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

To the contrary, I believe President Obama was well briefed on the pithy comments against the PM's English by the opposition (who just can't get over that they lost, pure and simple). He was making a smart, though somewhat humorous point for Thais against the current PM to move on.

Case in point: in his speech President Obama applauded the role of democracy in Thailand which resulted in the national election, and he went on to congratulate PM Yinglick. One can't say that about the last PM, his Oxford English not withstanding, as he was APPOINTED through a military coup. To suggest President Obama should meet with Mr. Abhisit (not PM Abhisit) is as absurd and recommending PM Yingluck meet with losing presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Change happens, hence the term "progressive". Get over it and move on already.

Any idea who he met with in Burma? Find out. Think about it. Not just the 'winners' of the election but with the person who is slightly more qualified to be in power. Why not in Thailand as well?

BTW It's only progressive if progress is being made :)

Prez Obama was in Burma/Myanmar six hours. He first went to meet with the "president" Thein Sein. Then he travelled to the house of Dawn Aung San Suu Kyi to spend some time there with the leader of the opposition and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. Then Prez Obama travelled back to Yangon to make his speech at Yangon University. Then off to Phenom Penh. No Nobel Laureates in Thailand to meet with - Abhisit is a poor and undeserving equivalent of an Aung San Suu Kyi. Thailand hasn't anyone like Aung San Suu Kyi and never will. Thailand instead has Chalerm, Chavalit, Chuwit et al - forever.

• Like 2

So much is being vented regarding the lack of ability for the current Thai leader to speak English.

It is simply an endorsement of this nations insular and inward looking attitudes. Why should the national head of Government need to be fluent in a language that is internationaly accepted as the language of business communication.

The fact that the majority of leaders in the free world can do so is of no consequence.

Much of the developement of this country using overseas capital and technology will be in English , but again that is of little importance and could possibly lead to problems as they would be expected to explain themselves in detail and not simply hide behind some ready made cultural tripping stones.

I have a great business idea, would anyone mind if I collected all the broken records in EVERY thread about the current democratically elected PM and tried to sell them, I will let someone else have all the dead horses that are being flogged.

If only boredom was marketable, all the abhist supporters on this site would be loaded.

"one general, one tank" is also democracy.

I have a great business idea, would anyone mind if I collected all the broken records in EVERY thread about the current democratically elected PM and tried to sell them, I will let someone else have all the dead horses that are being flogged.

If only boredom was marketable, all the abhist supporters on this site would be loaded.

"All the broken records" what about broken promises. Beacuse I know Yingluck is non entity unable to even defend herself in the country's own parliament doesnt make me an "abhist" supporter. Of course the Abhisit haters on this board are never backwards sniping But hey,,, attacking someone with a brain, talent and leadership is very Thailand

Edited by KKvampire

In the UK for example Obama met up with Ed Miliband and of course in Myanmar today he met both Thein Sein and Aung San Suu Kyi.Some have argued that this apparent snub to Abhisit and the Democrats was simply because no time was available though even on such a short visit this isn't really credible.Others have argued that Obama and Hilary Clinton are simply making a point about democracy, elections and the need to abandon military interference.I doubt whether it's anything personal.Abhisit made an excellent impression on Bill Clinton when Chuan visited Washington during the former's presidency when Abhisit was his chief aide.

OR, it could just be that with only 10 waking hours in Bangkok and meeting His Majesty the King and the PM, and the widely-reported Wat Arun tour...plus a couple of meals, and commuting time between the aforementioned, there really wasn't much time left.

Although hunching for some deeper meaning on a superficial issue can be entertaining, sometimes things just really are what they logically and literally seem.

:coffee1:

OR, it could just be that with only 10 waking hours in Bangkok and meeting His Majesty the King and the PM, and the widely-reported Wat Arun tour...plus a couple of meals, and commuting time between the aforementioned, there really wasn't much time left.

Although hunching for some deeper meaning on a superficial issue can be entertaining, sometimes things just really are what they logically and literally seem.

coffee1.gif

It could be of course and quite often, as you suggest, there is less than meets the eye in these things.Nevertheless in this case despite being a short visit Obama managed to find time to do a great many things including a long chat with a monk at Wat Pho.I think that if had wanted to squeeze Abhisit in it would not have been impossible.No, this has all the signs of a "snub", actually probably too strong a word but at least making a point.But if you have any hard evidence to the contrary let's hear it.What's undeniable is that the perception of rejection is out there.I am afraid that the Democrats and particularly Abhisit cannot shrug off as easily as they would like the deaths of so many in early 2010 but equally important Obama recognised that Yingluck had, unlike Abhisit, a proper democratic mandate.I'm not making a party political point here:If hypothetically Thaksin had been around, I don't think Obama would have seen him either at a personal meeting

Incidentally talking about "hunching for hidden meaning" weren't you the one trying to persusade the forum that when Aung San Suu Ky visited Bangkok it was all terribly significant that her schedule included a meeting with Abhisit before one with Yingluck? That's not "hunching": thats rolling around on the ground!

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

It could be of course and quite often, as you suggest, there is less than meets the eye in these things.Nevertheless in this case despite being a short visit Obama managed to find time to do a great many things including a long chat with a monk at Wat Pho.I think that if had wanted to squeeze Abhisit in it would not have been impossible.No, this has all the signs of a "snub", actually probably too strong a word but at least making a point.But if you have any hard evidence to the contrary let's hear it.What's undeniable is that the perception of rejection is out there.I am afraid that the Democrats and particularly Abhisit cannot shrug off as easily as they would like the deaths of so many in early 2010 but equally important Obama recognised that Yingluck had, unlike Abhisit, a proper democratic mandate.I'm not making a party political point here:If hypothetically Thaksin had been around, I don't think Obama would have seen him either at a personal meeting

Incidentally talking about "hunching for hidden meaning" weren't you the one trying to persusade the forum that when Aung San Suu Ky visited Bangkok it was all terribly significant that her schedule included a meeting with Abhisit before one with Yingluck? That's not "hunching": thats rolling around on the ground!

A review of the non-misrepresentative reality of those posts reveals I simply asked the question if it was significant, certainly far from the "ground rolling" you're doing in this thread.

Without anything to effectively justify the term, you're right about "snub" being too strong. Could you point out any examples of this "perception of rejection" that are supposedly "out there"?

With the extreme time constraints and his trip's focus more important Myanmar leg, it's quite understandable he didn't meet with Abhisit. Have the other U.S. presidents that visited Thailand also met with opposition leaders?

Edited by Buchholz

coffee1.gif

A review of the non-misrepresentative reality of those posts reveals I simply asked the question if it was significant, certainly far from the "ground rolling" you're doing in this thread.

Without anything to effectively justify the term, you're right about "snub" being too strong. Could you point out any examples of this "perception of rejection" that are supposedly "out there"?

With the extreme time constraints and his trip's focus more important Myanmar leg, it's quite understandable he didn't meet with Abhisit. Have the other U.S. presidents that visited Thailand also met with opposition leaders?

Parts of this post are quite breathtaking, IMHO..

The phrase 'non-misrepresentative reality' could only be used by one who is well acquainted with the concept of 'misrepresentative reality'.

The spirit of Rumsfeld is alive and well on TV, it seems.

BTW, not visiting an opposition leader can in some cases be seen as a snub, in others not - in my opinion.

Edited by 15Peter20

May I point out we are just a bunch of codgers with time on our hands shooting the breeze so no need to pretend to be wordy lawyers -

"A review of the non-misrepresentative reality of those posts reveals....etc".In other words please lighten up.Using that kind of pompous language is just ridiculous.

As for Abhisit you may be right.Perhaps there was just no time even though Obama really wanted to meet him especially since Abhisit is a laugh a minute.Who knows why normal protocol was set aside on this occasion?

Still it seems odd that you were very keen to demonstrate that when Aung San Suu Kyi visited it was all terribly significant when she met Abhisit first.Now that Obama couldn't find the time to see Abhisit it isn't significant at all and we shouldn't be specualting on the subject.Hmmm.Something don't compute.Anyway that's my lot on this rather silly business.

• Like 1

May I point out we are just a bunch of codgers with time on our hands shooting the breeze so no need to pretend to be wordy lawyers -

"A review of the non-misrepresentative reality of those posts reveals....etc".In other words please lighten up.Using that kind of pompous language is just ridiculous.

As for Abhisit you may be right.Perhaps there was just no time even though Obama really wanted to meet him especially since Abhisit is a laugh a minute.Who knows why normal protocol was set aside on this occasion?

Still it seems odd that you were very keen to demonstrate that when Aung San Suu Kyi visited it was all terribly significant when she met Abhisit first.Now that Obama couldn't find the time to see Abhisit it isn't significant at all and we shouldn't be specualting on the subject.Hmmm.Something don't compute.Anyway that's my lot on this rather silly business.

What is your lot jayboy?

Perhaps we can agree to mutually avoid the pomposity in our posts? ;)

Particularly since you seem to misunderstand it's meaning with your continued distortion of what was posted at the time regarding Aung San Suu Kyi. Review the posts and show us the posts that confirm what you erroneously say I posted. That's why it doesn't compute to you. It didn't happen.

I agree that your unsupported "snub" claim is silly business.

Edited by Buchholz

Okay, how about we all agree on the following:

1) Not meeting Abhisit wasn't a 'snub'.

2) The Democrats got zero mileage out of Obama's visit.

3) The Prime Minister and to a lesser extent the PTP got kudos out of Obama's express endorsement.

Anyone disagree with these points?

Perhaps we can agree to mutually avoid the pomposity in our posts? wink.png

Particularly since you seem to misunderstand it's meaning with your continued distortion of what was posted at the time regarding Aung San Suu Kyi. Review the posts and show us the posts that confirm what you erroneously say I posted. That's why it doesn't compute to you. It didn't happen.

Well, it all went down hill after a promising opening.

Why don`t both of you stop this silly bickering?

• Like 1

3) The Prime Minister and to a lesser extent the PTP got kudos out of Obama's express endorsement.

Obama bought a yellow silk tie with blue elephants on it.

And I bet it looks splendid on him, too.

Perhaps we can agree to mutually avoid the pomposity in our posts? wink.png

Well, it all went down hill after a promising opening.

Why don`t both of you stop this silly bickering?

Yes, but do you have any proof that it went downhill after the opening?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Boredom is indeed marketable. It parades itself aty Anfield every other week.

Standard Jim Thompson fare - nothing to read into there except for area 51 types. As Freud may have once said, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

That emptiness of purpose left showy photo-ops in all three countries, with the president flirting around with Thailand's photogenic Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and visiting the Buddha statues, effectively trivializing Thailand as a tourist trap instead of a major trading partner and the U.S.'s oldest ally in Asia.

On his trip to Cambodia, a country he claimed didn't deserve a visit due to its strongman government, first lady Bun Rany greeted Obama with a traditional "sampeah" pressed-hands greeting reserved for servants, a little dig that was probably lost on him but not to Asians