Video: Obama-Yingluck Press Conference

webfact

Anybody here know how she perfroms when she speaks in Thai? I mean, I am sure she is fluent, but is she a good speaker, or.....

I'm afraid her Thai is poor too, in Thai if you want to make an adjective into a noun you add khwam at the front, for example, able- samart สามารถ becomes ability- khwamsamart < Thai script removed, you can use Thai script in the Thai language forum, not here >

whilst verbs become nouns by adding kan, ie smoke soob buree สูบบุหรี่ becomes smoking kansoob buree การสูบบุหรี่ but our beautiful Prime Minister often mixes them up, so you get, for example, kansamart,ugh!

It's the sort of mistake a rather slow primary school student will make!

A very well educated Thai friend told me that her Thai is not very elegant but pretty much what is expected from a native speaker.He said from his perception what was characteristic was a stronger Northern tinge than what might have been expected given her wealth and overseas experience.

Anyway it's interesting that her critics concentrate on her grammar at this juncture.Not that hard to work out why.

Incidentally in the UK Attlee's government after WW2 contained many brilliant and effective ministers, many with working class accents and imperfect English.Historians now accept Attlee's administration was one of the best inBritish history

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody here know how she perfroms when she speaks in Thai? I mean, I am sure she is fluent, but is she a good speaker, or.....

I'm afraid her Thai is poor too, in Thai if you want to make an adjective into a noun you add khwam at the front, for example, able- samart สามารถ becomes ability- khwamsamart < Thai script removed, you can use Thai script in the Thai language forum, not here >

whilst verbs become nouns by adding kan, ie smoke soob buree สูบบุหรี่ becomes smoking kansoob buree การสูบบุหรี่ but our beautiful Prime Minister often mixes them up, so you get, for example, kansamart,ugh!

It's the sort of mistake a rather slow primary school student will make!

A very well educated Thai friend told me that her Thai is not very elegant but pretty much what is expected from a native speaker.He said from his perception what was characteristic was a stronger Northern tinge than what might have been expected given her wealth and overseas experience.

Anyway it's interesting that her critics concentrate on her grammar at this juncture.Not that hard to work out why.

Incidentally in the UK Attlee's government after WW2 contained many brilliant and effective ministers, many with working class accents and imperfect English.Historians now accept Attlee's administration was one of the best inBritish history

No doubt Yingluk's knowledge will be on full display in the Censure debate in Parliament on Sunday and Monday, though she's skipping the first day of course.

• Like 1

Re Thailand and WW2 I see the collaboration with the japs as a top-down decision from governmental level with the Thai people not involved. There was a small anti-jap movement also. I understand that the pro and anti jap Thais kept each other informed of each other's movements- in case any Thai might get hurt I presume. When elephants fight ants are likely to be crushed so the wise thing is stay out of the harm's way if possible.

I saw 2 muscled drunk Falangs slugging it out in a condo car park recently with 4 undersized Thai security guys doing a butterfly dance and dodging around and about trying not to get hurt until the Falangs fell in a heap.

Churchill wished to punish Thailand after the war but the Americans would not agree and proceeded to make Thailand an ally.

Mr. Obama says one hundred and sixty years of "partnership" except of course for those years following Thailand's declaration of war against the United States on December 8, 1941.

The Allies did get some payback.....

The Thai capital city of Bangkok was attacked in the latter part of World War II by the RAF and the USAAF as part of the Pacific campaigns. The bombers targeted installations useful to the occupying Japanese military, but were also intended to pressure the government of Thai military strongman Plaek Pibulsongkram to abandon his alliance with Imperial Japan. The major targets were the newly completed Port of Bangkok and the Thai railway system. http://en.wikipedia....in_World_War_II

However, back on topic.

Obama may not know his favourite Thai dish but it looks like Yingluck was on the menu

post-46292-0-04502900-1353421607_thumb.j

That was a pretty boring conference to say the least... with all the positive statements he made about the wonderful work of Yingyuck on this and that and so on and on, kinda gives the impression that he has absolutely no clue as to what is really happening in Thailand ... Pfff!... over and above the lame priorities and reasons to furthur develop ties with Thailand..

True, Mr. Obama doesn't have a clue what's really goig on in Thailand, but neither do most of the people in Thailand farangs and Thais alike.